276°
Posted 20 hours ago

We Made a Garden

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Clearly none of us are ever going to achieve a Margery sized garden or house without a lottery win, but you can still dream!

Only after Walter's death in 1947 could Margery fully implement her ideas and develop her skills as a plantswoman. Her staff sometimes found her abrupt, and she could be a slave-driver; there is a story that one gardener resigned after developing frostbite.In the 1960s, Margery Fish and her husband Walter decided to transform an acre of wilderness into a stunning cottage garden.

This is a charming little book by Margery Fish, offering anecdotal history of the choosing and planting of a home garden in England. For optimum effect, allow plants to spill onto curved paths so they are never seen in their entirety. What he can’t burn, he buries; and once the old beds, rusty oil stoves, and ancient corsets have all been cleared, the ideological battle must commence. From the secret to cultivating the smoothest lawn to the art of lifting and replanting tulip bulbs to the landscaping possibilities of evergreens, the diverse elements of successful gardening--and delightful writing--are bound together by Mr.There were so many specific references to plants I wasn’t familiar with (especially native English plants and any referred to by their Latin names. It’s true that the Royal Horticultural Society was a bastion of male activity and would remain so for another decade. The mission spent three years in the USA and Margery was awarded the MBE in recognition of her contribution.

Here, for the first time she also found herself working for the newspaper’s founder, Lord Northcliffe, known to his staff as ‘The Chief’. With the flowers (which her husband considered the least important part of the garden) dead, perhaps Margery would pay more attention to keeping the paths neat. The beautiful and timeless We Made a Garden recounts the trials and tribulations, successes and failures, of her venture with ease and humor--from choosing the most suitable hyssop for the terraced garden to battling with her husband on the best approach. In this way, Margery Fish describes how her husband corrected her method of staking plants by mutilating her flowers, tying ropes around their stems so tightly "that they looked throttled" (31). All our journalism is independent and is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.Margery Fish turned to gardening when she was in her mid-forties and went on to develop the whole concept of a cottage garden. But I didn't but it for that, I bought it because it's a beautiful, beautiful book and because I wanted inspiration for my allotment.

Topics covered are colourful and diverse, ranging from the most suitable hyssop for the terraced garden through composting, hedges, making paths to the best time to lift and replant tulip bulbs. There’s stunning photography from the world’s top garden photographers, as well as insightful writing from experts. Margery Townshend was born on 5 August 1892 at 16 Eastbank, Stamford Hill, now part of the London Borough of Hackney, as the second of the four daughters of Ernest Townshend (died 1926), a commercial traveller in tea, and his wife Florence Harriet, née Buttfield (died 1920). We all have a lot to learn and in every new garden there is a chance of finding inspiration - new flowers, different arrangements or fresh treatment for old subjects.What Mrs Fish created at East Lambrook Manor, was a grand cottage garden on a domestic scale, she wrote, “It is pleasant to know each one of your plants intimately because you have chosen and planted every one of them. In 1952 she turned 60, yet here she was, an unlikely pioneer, keeping company with a whole new generation of professional gardening women. Those with an appreciation of Fish’s work might consider ‘Margery Fish’ which produces dense masses of blue-purple flowers. What struck me is the amount of labor they put into the garden themselves, both because labor was scarce in WWII England, and because they truly wanted to do the work. When Margery and Walter Fish bought a neglected medieval manor in rural Somerset as the war loomed, they could not have guessed what it would eventually become.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment