276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The War That Saved My Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Achingly lovely . . . Nuanced and emotionally acute, this vivid tale from the wartime home front will have readers ages 10-14 wincing at Ada’s stumbles and rejoicing to the point of tears in her victories.”— The Wall Street Journal Susan's read alouds show how the kids are relating the characters in the stories to their lives. Ada feels that she is like "Alice in Wonderland" who has fallen down the rabbit hole into a strange new world. Jaimie feels like he is on an adventure like the "Swiss Family Robinson." Literature engages and empowers young readers into understanding themselves and the world around them. Ada is learning empathy and through narrative fiction she can get inside a fictional character's mind to understand his or her feelings, motivations, and emotions. This safe place in the fictional world lets her take risks and learn through characters triumphs and mistakes, then relate it to herself with empathy, and not have any real-world consequences. This is the power of reading. There is tension out the ying-yang, and complex and nuanced dynamics among the characters. No stereotypes to be found. World War II Exploration: This book is set during the time of the Dunkirk evacuations and the aerial bombings of the Battle of Britain. Help kids learn more about the history of World War II with this collection of educational videos or dive deeper into the place and time Ada lived with these photographs from the BBC, oral histories from evacuation survivors, and images of UK Victory Gardens. If you have family or friends that lived during World War II, invite them to talk with your readers directly. When the war comes to their town and Susan and Ada help the Dunkirk soldiers, Ada learns that she is useful. She also recognizes that she is winning battles against her fears and becoming stronger. "There was a Before Dunkirk version of me and an After Dunkirk version. The After Dunkirk version was stronger, less afraid." Later, when she sees a spy and reports it, she is strong enough to overcome the prejudiced officer that tries to dismiss her. When she stands up to her mother and admits the horrible truth about how she does not care about her or Jaimie, she shows her self-acceptance not only of herself but her mother. When she is lauded a hero for capturing a spy, she sees herself, "As if I'd been born with two strong feet." This is a long way from the ashamed girl that first showed up on Susan's doorstep.

Ada is ten and as far as she can tell she’s never been outdoors. Never felt the sun on her face. Never seen grass. Born with a twisted foot her mother considers her an abomination and her own personal shame. So when the chance comes for Ada to join her fellow child evacuees, including her little brother Jamie, out of the city during WWII she leaps at the chance. Escaping to the English countryside, the two are foisted upon a woman named Susan who declares herself to be “not nice” from the start. Under her care the siblings grow and change. Ada discovers Susan’s pony and is determined from the get-go to ride it. And as the war progresses and things grow dire, she finds that the most dangerous thing isn’t the bombs or the war itself. It’s hope. And it’s got her number.Ada is a great character! She’s smart and resourceful and brave and caring and loyal and observant, and inspiring. She’s also been horribly traumatized and is dealing with the ramifications of her experiences and her situation. It’s a pleasure to watch her progress.

A moving story with an authentic voice. Beautifully told." —Patricia MacLachlan, author of Newbery Medal winner Sarah, Plain and Tall This was also an excellent historical fiction story. It touched on WWII including the Blitz and the bombings in Kent, the area of England closest to the fight on the continent. My heart sank when the airfield was constructed where it was. This book made me laugh and cry! It takes you away to a different world when you’re reading it. I love Ada and Jamie. I have always been interested in riding horses so the parts about Butter made me smile.” –Marin, age 9 How does the war change people, regardless of their social class? What role did women play in the war?The description of the bright yellow pony is used to represent hope and the possibility of a new life. The young protagonist, who has been living in a difficult home situation and facing many hardships, is instantly taken with the pony and feels a sense of wonder and awe. The imagery of the pony—with its white stripe down its nose and dark brown eyes—is vivid and inviting, and the sound it makes is also evocative and conveys a sense of warmth and comfort. The juxtaposition of the dull house with the bright and lively pony suggests that the protagonist is about to embark on a journey of discovery and hope and that the pony will be a part of that journey. The imagery of the pony, then, highlights the idea that despite all the difficulties the protagonist has faced, there is still the potential for joy and a brighter future. Battle of Dunkirk How did you feel at the end of the story? Which characters do you have empathy for? Who changed the most from the beginning to the end of this story?

While reading this book, I felt so submerged into all characters that it was hard to remember I was not Ada or Susan. Sometimes I was Susan, who was a melancholic soul and didn't want anyone in her life, for she was completely absorbed by sorrow of her loss and sometimes I was Ada, a ten years old little girl, who was fighting her own battle against all odd, personal insecurities and abominations of her mom. Well, Kimberley certainly did a brilliant job developing characters and she perfectly understood the psychology of a little girl who had always been treated horribly by her birth mom! I wonder how a mom could be so hateful! The citation focuses on the internal struggle Ada faces, as she is often unable to fully express her thoughts and feelings. She is a young girl who has been kept inside her home her entire life, never having the opportunity to go to school or learn how to read or write. As a result, she has difficulty expressing herself and understanding the words of others. Therefore, Ada is an example of someone whose life experience has hindered her ability to communicate effectively and articulate her feelings, which can be a common experience for those who have been oppressed. Her journey is one of resilience and self-discovery, as she learns to find her voice and gain the confidence to speak up for herself. The statement highlights the importance of language and communication, and how they can be used to empower and liberate those who have been silenced. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2021-02-21 06:00:41 Associated-names Portillo, Josie, illustrator; Dial Books for Young Readers, publisher Boxid IA40064001 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier Listen to the Award-Winning Audiobook: Experience Ada, Jamie, Susan, and their incredible story in a whole new way by listening to the audiobook. Winner of the 2016 Odyssey Award, and read by award-winning narrator Jayne Entwistle, this wonderful telling captures and amplifies the novel’s unforgettable characters, momentous events, and emotional depths. Author Kimberly Brubaker Bradley said of the audio: “I could not have been more pleased about Jayne Entwistle’s version of The War That Saved My Life. She got every nuance exactly right — Ada’s grit, Jamie’s innocence, Lady Thorton’s upper-crust accent, Susan’s cultivated Oxbridge one.” Ten-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother, Jamie, is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—sneaking out to join him.Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room flat. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—she sneaks out to join him.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment