276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hungry Ghosts: A BBC 2 Between the Covers Book Club Pick

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was not surprised to find that the author is a poet. Yes, often the precision and load of language poetry demands will bring wonderful freshness of image and avoidance of cliché to a novel, when poets also are novelists. And for sure, Jared Hosein does this. But far too often. During the first year of marriage, she had deconstructed her entire self with the revered language of dead writers. Patched herself with ideas and metaphors until she wasn’t sure where her former self dies and this new self was born. Her mind its own Ship of Theseus” Mikey went over to the tail end of the locomotive and grabbed a wooden plank. He already knew that he had riled Tarak enough for him to consider taking a swing. Mikey was ready with the plank.

However, where Krishna goes to school is where everyone with money lives (and where everyone in this God-forsaken shanty would love to go). Bell Village, where it appears that Trinidad is reborn, stands the Presbyterian Church, proud and tall Also a lot of cw to be wary of: ableism, colourism, racism, death (including graphic violence towards people and animals) domestic abuse, sexism, sexual assault and murder amongst any others I may have forgotten.Themes of class, inequality, friendship, death, family relationships are dealt with in ways that open up discussion and debate. This novel has so much depth. At the top of the hill is the comfortable, but isolated manor house of the farm owner and his beautiful, young and lonely wife. A deeper layer means that there are lessons to be learned, especially if these are folktales. I'll say that they are 2, to be exact. You damn good at this,’ said Krishna, impressed. ‘Go ahead, give it a try,’ said Tarak, still giddy.

Sometimes, images are wonderful, striking, unusual – but when a writer is doing this almost on every line, there is something which gets in the way of the necessary forward propulsion of a novel The water so murky now that all the outlines were obscured. ‘This paddy is a big waste of time,’ said Krishna, shaking his head. There are a number of well developed and interesting characters. Shweta and Rookmin are probably my favourite.Tarak narrowed his eyes at Addy, another spasm in his shoulders. Krishna put a hand on his shoulder, trying to calm the boy’s laboured breathing. He remembered what his father had once told him – that you cannot let your enemies know you’re angry. They’ll know what’s coming if you do that. There was still movement within the dog’s thorax. Her breathing forced and irregular as if she were in her last throes of life. Tarak knelt beside her, desperate as a votary ready to self-flagellate. Krishna ran to get the plank. Skated in the mud. Crashed face-first into the water. The two tilapia still flopping madly. Krishna scrambled for the wood. Reached his hand into the water. Finally got hold of it. Hoisted it into the air as if he’d already claimed victory. A shrill line of kingfishers fluttered over them. In the end, I stopped looking up all the new words, which could not be found in the Kindle’s own dictionary and began to skim read. Which is no way to be reading.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment