276°
Posted 20 hours ago

What Lies Between Us

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is as heartbreaking, beautifully written....and devastating as readers are saying. A hard story to forget. We only have Maggie and Nina to suspect. So, it’s either one of them is the bad guy or both of them are. That took the fun away from me. Especially since with each neatly placed clue, (if you’re clever enough to notice them) you can guess the who.

Astonishment on his face, “What? No Baby Madame. Don’t tell lies. Who would eat these ugly buggers? What is there to eat?” John Marrs books keep getting progressively better. I LOVED this one. At one point I was getting so worked up reading it that I found myself clutching my Kindle and I had the image of me as the teacher from the movie A Christmas Story who is so deliriously happy with what she's reading that she circles the classroom writing A+ A+ A+ A+..... on all the walls.Others have mentioned, and I agree, that this would be a great book club discussion book. This book also has the most intriguing prologue I have ever read! As we read the alternating views of Maggie and Nina, spreading over various timelines, it's hard to know who is the craziest, Maggie or Nina. This is one fiendish read and the more we know, the worse things get. I couldn't put this one down and it made for a fantastic buddy read.

If you are a fan of John Marrs...and seriously, how can you not be!? Don’t miss this latest release! Everyone will be chatting this one up over the summer! They already are! I was born in Sri Lanka, the green island in the midst of the endless Indian Ocean. I grew up in Kandy, the hill city of the Buddhists. A city held high like a gem in the setting of the island. “Maha Nuwara,” is the name of Kandy in Sinhala, “the great city.” Or even, “Kande Uda Rata” the “land on top of the mountain.” It is the last capital of the Lankan kings before the British came to “domesticate and civilize”, to build railroads and scallop the hills into acres of fragrant tea. In their un-sinuous tongue, “Kande Uda Rata” collapses, folds into itself and emerges as, Kandy. But not candy sweet in the mouth because this place has a certain history. The story is beautifully written in the lyrical language of a poet, yet it captures the devastating and brutal turns that life can take. You will be unable to put this book down. Not only do I recommend it, I consider it a "must-read.".. continued not the worst john marrs book ive read, but definitely not my favourite. i think i tend to prefer his sci-fi thrillers more than his psychological ones. I am leaving a list of things I loved about this book if you found anything relatable you should read it:-Regardless of the plot being predictable, it’s in the details (of the charaters’ conditions, what’s happened to them in the last 25 years) that make the believability of the whole story rather low. It’s simply too convenient to be realistic.

They say every house has its secrets, and the house that Maggie and Nina have shared for so long is no different. Except that these secrets are not buried in the past. Una narrativa que te hará empatizar tanto con la madre como con la hija, pero que también te hará odiarlas hasta la saciedad. Y ese es el gran mérito de la novela, hacerte partícipe y, a la vez, cómplice de las acciones tanto de la una como de la otra. Las dos creen que estar haciendo lo correcto. Y tú también lo creerás. Written from both Maggie and Nina’s point of view, we learn why Nina has gone to great lengths to keep Maggie prisoner in their own home and why some things can never be forgiven.. But as they say, suburbia is a place full of many secrets... and the past has quite the way with rearing its ugly head. As we observe the daily lives of Maggie and Nina as the reader, it is up to us to discover.. what lies between them. *queue The Twilight Zone sound effects* Every house has it’s secrets, and the house that Maggie and Nina have shared for so long is no exception, Except that these secrets are not buried in the past.

When tragedy strikes, child and mother move to America. They will start over, a new life. She will live as a normal American teenager and have a normal life. However, the secrets and trauma from her childhood stay with her. Haunting her as she tries to live her new life.

As the perspectives and timelines shift between the mother and daughter, so did my sympathies! Like watching a tennis match! To the point where I felt I was in jeopardy of getting whiplash. Relentlessly stubborn, neither woman letting up for even a moment! I was afraid that What Lies Between Us would be too derivative and in that regard, it is (which is why I’m withholding the fifth star). But it rises to a higher level by taking on a heartbreaking topic: false memory and the effects of PTSD on the present. Sixty-eight-year old, Maggie spends her days in the attic watching her neighbors going about their lives. To them, she doesn't exist. As Maggie watches, she notices things that no one else does. She’s the first to notice when Mr. Steadman’s curtains stop opening and his mail and newspapers start piling up. When you get older you’ll understand that sometimes appearances can be deceptive,’ she replies. ‘You can never really know a person, no matter how much you love them.” In the beginning we meet a woman whose name we do not know . She's in prison and we don't know why but she is about to tell us . I wanted to read this because I loved the author's debut novel , Island of a Thousand Mirrors. The writing is even more beautiful, more rich in description and I found myself in Sri Lanka once again.These seem to be quiet days in the life of a young girl, from a privileged family. Although her mother grew up in poverty , her father is a university professor and they live a comfortable life with servants. There's civil war going on in the north and east of the island but it is removed from her, and not near where she lives , but the horrifying things happening to her become her own private war . When a tragedy occurs , the young girl and her mother flee to America to start a new life. Further into the book , I realized that I still did not know her name . Maggie y Nina, madre e hija que viven juntas y solas desde la desaparición del padre, tienen una particularidad. Nina vive “más o menos” una vida normal, y Maggie no sale de casa desde hace casi tres años…. Más que nada porque Nina la tiene encadenada en su habitación de la planta superior, aunque para las cenas le permite acceder hasta el salón… con una cadena más larga. La novela nos explica el porqué de esta situación en capítulos que van de una a otra de las protagonistas, y que van adelante y atrás en el tiempo, llegando incluso al momento en que el padre dejó de formar parte de sus vidas. PDF / EPUB File Name: What_Lies_Between_Us_-_John_Marrs.pdf, What_Lies_Between_Us_-_John_Marrs.epub This is not a particularly enjoyable read, but one filled with the anguish and despair of a damaged young unmarried woman headed on a path to destruction. The book begins with an unnamed woman sitting in her jail cell. She confesses to us how she has done the unthinkable, that she is the worst thing possible. That she is a bad mother. However, she tells us that we only think we know her story and why she did what she did. That she will tell us her story but in her time, her words from the beginning, when she was the child and not yet the mother.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment