276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Audrey Hepburn: A Biography

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As someone who loves classic Hollywood, I adore her trio of novels named for the glamour girls of Hollywood - Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, and now, Audrey Hepburn. And if you love to geek out on old Hollywood trivia and/or want to see for yourself the insane amount of research Janowitz completed prior to writing this novel, make sure to read the authors note once you have finished the story. What I also love about her story is that beyond the screen she did amazing work for UNICEF helping with the welfare children across the world. Incredible ❤️ My favourite quote of hers is “I never think of myself as an icon. I just do my thing.” - love it 🥰 Wow Of note, I listened to this book on audio. The narrator, Cassandra Campbell, did a spectacular job bringing this story to life and complimenting the already gorgeous writing. The versatility of her narration helped to create a unique voice for each and every character.

In 1959, the book was adapted into a film by screenwriter Robert Anderson and director Fred Zinnemann. The Nun's Story starred Audrey Hepburn as Sister Luke. It was a critical and box-office success, and was nominated for eight oscars at the 32nd Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Hepburn's third nomination for Best Actress. Absolutely beautiful book! I first saw this series of books by Megan Hess at work and fell in love with their beauty. Megan Hess is a famous fashion illustrator who has done campaigns for many designers such as Givenchy, Valentino, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Dior and many more. However this series of books is all about illustrating the lives of fashion icons. At any rate, I would say that this bio, the first I've read in many years, is so-so in comparison to the others. For one, I thought that the information was presented in a dry way, and is mostly composed of excerpts from previous interviews with her. The author uses very little first source material in this book and you really feel that distance. I also questioned the meticulousness with which the author tried to find examples of her being "mean." I suppose that this was under the euphemism of journalistic integrity, but at the same time, the examples that he did come up with were so petty that I questioned whether or not they were necessary for this book to be balanced. Instead, it made the agenda of the author seem a bit sensationalistic. I would have preferred to eliminate a few of those anecdotes. Now I’m not exactly the most fashionable person in the world (far from it 😂). However I absolutely love reading about the lives of icons and designers I just find it fascinating to learn about their rise to success, I find it really inspiring.

Audrey Hepburn ❤️ Need I say more? I heard the title and I was SOLD. I absolutely loved this book. Happy almost pub day gorgeous. Tomorrow is the big day! Out 4/18🥳🥳 Thank you so much to @htpbooks @graydonhousebooks for my gifted copy. 🥰🥰🥰 Her life is pretty interesting as she had to cope with the Nazi invasion in The Second World War whilst she was trying to train to become a ballerina. But somehow she ended up becoming one of the best loved actresses of an era if not all time. If you’re looking for a memoir reminiscent of the Audrey Hepburn film, Roman Holiday, then look no further than Bella Figura by Kamin Mohammadi. This gem of a book tells the story of Mohammadi’s life, following her chance move to Italy. Particularly inspiring are the fantastic characters she meets along the way; from plumbers who teach her how to make pasta al pomodoro to eccentric neighbors who help teach Mohammadi how to enjoy a slower pace of life. Set in Florence, this book brings the famous city to life as she experiences new adventures. I also thought Emma’s character was quite immature in the way she dealt with relationships and her own history throughout the story.

I have always enjoyed watching many of Audrey Hepburn's films and I knew from my mum that this was a good biography of her. Barry Paris has certainly done his research and I felt I had a well-rounded view of Hepburn by the end of the book. Shows ALL the pictures from the Audrey Hepburn Exhibition by the National Portrait Gallery in London, England July, 2, 2015. So, the movie Sabrina was mentioned, and a misunderstanding about the actual location the movie was filmed at was cleared up. That’s it. No more Audrey. I was a bit upset by the misleading title. However, in the Author’s Note at the end there are a lot of fun Hepburn facts and tidbits. A very neatly done biography, probably the one I'll recommend most. Paris is notable for the number of interviews done -- much of the book consists of interviews done with Hepburn's family members, co-workers and close friends. Paris is to be applauded for the effort and painstaking work this took.Just Being Audrey is a wonderfully illustrated biography of Hepburn’s life. This book traces her life from childhood, as a little girl in Nazi-occupied Europe, right through to her success as a Hollywood icon. In particular, the book focuses on Hepburn’s personal qualities, especially her kindness and consideration for others and highlights how these traits helped to make her one of the most admired actresses in Hollywood. I will say this: I found myself incapable of reading a lot before I had to close the book and gaze romantically at the cover, wondering how strange people would think me to be if I up and kissed it.

Our Kind tells the story of a group of women who, once country-club housewives during the 1950s, are now left to confront the realities of life as independent and divorced women. An insightful and witty novel, Our Kind, succeeds in capturing the attitudes and experiences of a generation of women.The colorful and dramatic characters are described as complex and complicated. There is “good and evil” in some characters. The protagonist, Emma Jansen, a Chef, is devastated when she hears that the house she grew up in will be demolished. She takes the train to Glen Cove to see the mansion and the apartment over the garage where she lived with her family. Emma’s mother was the maid to a wealthy family. Emma remembers her childhood friends, Henry and Leo. Henry was the wealthy grandson, and Leo was the son of the family’s driver. Emma always loved Henry, but it seemed forbidden because of Henry’s wealth. The Ultimate Coffee Table Book– If you are searchingfor a great photo book of Audrey or just in general, then this is the one you absolutely need to get! The Audrey Hepburn Estate centers around Emma, Harry, and Leo. Harry's family owns the famed Long Island "Audrey Hepburn" estate where as a child Emma lived over the garage with her mother who was employed by the family. Leo and his family also worked for Harry's grandfather. All together the three children grew up and had an interesting romantic entanglement, or love triangles through high school. These characteristics do not ruin the book, but for me, it's not a stellar example of a great biography about Hepburn. If you are looking for the definitive on this actress, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment