Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

It's LIVE!

Want some constructive criticism of your Magento site, post it here

It's LIVE!

Postby stacks » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:00 pm

At long last the new site is LIVE.

The URL is http://www.moseyonline.co.uk It's a home interiors shop for the UK and we also have a shop in Sussex.

Feel free to pass judgement, praise, criticize, rip it to bits or just tell me where to improve certain bits.

Thanks for your help on this forum so far!
stacks

Re: It's LIVE!

Postby stridey » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:25 pm

I'll pitch in if I may.....

A lot of work has gone into loading the products, and setting it up.

Small spelling mistake on the poll feature: Other 'Serach' Engine and the £ sign not showing in the text at the bottom.

Also the Magento place holder is showing where you dont have the product picture and the Magento logo is showing as the 'favicon' on my browser. Both easy to fix. The link to you blog is wrong/not working. Also a phone number on the front page is useful? I cant quickly see that you also have a shop..thats something that will impress potential buyers. Shout about it!

Design wise, Id consider some work on the background color ...its very 'white' and also the colours of the text, so some CSS work could really make your site look slick. Same with the Mosey logo and text at the top.

I dont want this to sound like too harsh a criticism, as I feel that with some minor tweaks your site could look really slick. You've done the hard bit, its that last 10% that can make the difference.

I really do like seeing a moving picture on the front page like you have... to me it says 'open for business. Thats great. I have a similar thing on my site http://www.octanesport.com .

I speak from experience that not only have you chosen a slick web shop system in Magento, but it does take a lot to get a few things working well. On the checkout I changed the 'f' for fax to an 'M' for mobile (also in the emails and stuff). Have you changed the Magento logos in the emails too?

I know...its a lot of work, but boy, your site will be better than so many of your competitors i'm sure of that, so you do deserve a big pat on the back.

Michael
stridey

Postby stacks » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks Michael

There are so many little bits to finish off and your feedback will add to that list. My biggest problem is that I'm not the most technical person in the world so I'm having to learn it as I go along, little things like I want to change the colour of the Add to Basket button I haven't got a clue how to do or to change the background colour slightly. It's probably really simple but I just have to read or ask people how to do the little tweaks and then I do them.

It's called development on a shoestring! Todays biggest task is to get a googlebase feed working.
stacks

Postby stridey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Buttons and things will likely be images. You need to just replace those images with you own, with the same title as the ones you replace.

So, if you ind the images folder, download it to your computer, open it in an image editing program (Adobe Elements will be fine) and either create new ones or paint over them in a paint brush that just changes the colour. Then upload those to your store.

look around here: /httpdocs/shop/skin/frontend/default/default/images/

Just changing the buttons can really help your store look a little less standard. I do believe 'Buy' buttons work best in orange though, psychologically...have a good look at the images to see what you might easily change. Check the emails the system is generating so that you can replace any stray Magento ones with your own. (right click on the images will give you a clue as to where they are located in your files)

Background colours and text can be changed in the CSS files, it may be worth seeing if a design company can do just that work for you. But thats not a biggy. You may feel conident enough to do that yourself by changing one element at a time.

One other thing, on checkout have you changed the spelling of 'deliver' from the default one as that was displaying wrong on mine.

Going through the UK and US translate files can help too. We changed a number of those to be more natural.

If you do as much work on it yourself as you can then your will feel more and more confident.

using the magento forums solved most of my issues, but there was a fair amount of digging to do. But its a great way to get your own website working without spending loads of money.

One last thing, on the bottom link you have it wrong: http://www.moseyonline.co.cuk/
stridey

Postby stacks » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks for the pointer where all the default images are but I've trawled through them all and I cant seem to find where the gray "add to cart" button is. I want to change it to a nice orange one with "Add to Basket" on it but where is it located? Any ideas?
stacks

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:35 am

Within the backend, go to:

>System
>Configuration
>Change the current Configuration Scope at the top left to whatever store you are using
>Developer(under Advanced)
>Turn on Template Path Hints(under Debug)

This should help you locate the image that is used for the cart button.

From memory, you also need to change the image file for the add to cart button that is displayed on the My Dashboard page as this is a different file, just to keep it looking the same.
Mark

Its LIVE

Postby kirubakaran » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 pm

I just kicked off the AD banner.... its kinda looks half empty though. I dont like Google add to be scaring people, especially on home page - that could have been a best bet to go there
kirubakaran

Return to Magento Site Review