276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Life Cycles of British and Irish Butterflies

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The distribution, habitat, status and life cycle of all primary species is discussed in detail, accompanied by hundreds of lavish images of adults, eggs, caterpillars, chrysalides, habitat and foodplants. These are exciting times in terms of our butterfly fauna and the prospect of new species arriving on our shores, such as the Southern Small White, is also discussed. Thomas, J.A. & Lewington, R. (2014) The Butterflies of Britain and Ireland, 3rd edition. British Wildlife Publishing, Oxford. British & Irish Butterfly Rarities is the first book to focus solely on those butterfly species regarded as extinctions, rare migrants or introductions. There are 59 butterfly species that are considered resident or regular migrants to Britain and Ireland, yet there are another 63 species whose story deserves to be told.

Not since that lepidopteran legend F.W. Frohawk studied and etched them nearly one hundred years ago have all the stages in the life cycles of all of Britain and Ireland's butterflies been illustrated in one volume. No mean feat!" Having heard of its publication last year, it was with great excitement that I opened up a copy of Peter Eeles's Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies when it arrived on my desk recently. Brereton, T.M. (1997) Ecology and conservation of the butterfly Pyrgus malvae (Grizzled Skipper) in south-east England. PhD thesis. And, having studied this immaculately presented book, it's safe to say that it has very much lived up to expectations.What a fantastic publication! Looks like I could spend years looking information up from this book. Photographs 1st class!”– lee3764, UK Butterflies forums McNeil, J.N. & Duchesne, R.M. (1977) Transport of hay and its importance in the passive dispersal of the European Skipper, Thymelicus lineola, The Canadian Entomologist, 109, 1253-1256. While aimed at the typical butterfly enthusiast, the book's content has been successfully tested by conservation scientists who need to record all stages when measuring the impact of habitat management and climate change. The book also includes recent discoveries that are documented here for the first time. With detailed descriptions and photos of the adult, egg, caterpillar and chrysalis of each species, this book provides unique insights into a hidden world, illustrated with over 1,300 high-quality colour photos that reveal the subtle beauty in something as small as a butterfly egg. While aimed at the typical butterfly enthusiast, the book's content has been successfully tested by conservation scientists who need to record all stages when measuring the impact of habitat management and climate change. The book also includes recent discoveries that are documented here for the first time. Butterflies are infinitely fascinating. What may start as a simple hobby of photographing the adult insects can evolve into a deep interest in their immature stages, ecology and conservation and this book will help light your way. Fiedler, K. & Maschwitz, U. (1988) Functional analysis of the myrmecophilous relationships between ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) and lycaenids (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae), Oecologia, 75, 204-206.

Stace, C. (2010) New Flora of the British Isles, 3rd edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. Being a reviewer of the species accounts was like going on a voyage of discovery. I thought I knew what to expect when the book was published, but the finished article has surpassed my expectations. It has come together so beautifully that I don’t think that it will be surpassed until a holographic version is published in 2119.”– Vince Massimo, UK Butterflies forums

Life Cycles of British and Irish Butterflies

Jeffcoate, S. (2006) Seasonal variation in the use of vegetation resources by Leptidea sinapis, a multivoltine species in southern Britain: implications for its conservation at the edge of its range and in the context of climate change, Entomologist’s Gazette, 57, 69-82. The Bibliography only lists books – the following is a list of all references, including both books and papers: Thomas, C.D. & Jones, T.M. (1993) Partial recovery of a skipper butterfly (Hesperia comma) from population refuges: lessons for conservation in a fragmented landscape, Journal of Applied Ecology, 62, 472-481.

My copy arrived a couple of days ago… Magnificent! I am sure we are all thankful for the massive effort you have put in to this work.”– Paul Harfield, UK Butterflies ForumsMy new Butterfly book alongside the two volume ‘Frohawk’ classic Butterfly life cycle book from 1924. Probably the only two attempts to show and write about the lifecycle of every British butterfly …. 95 years apart.”– Tony Pope, Facebook Butterflies are infinitely fascinating. What may start as a simple hobby of photographing the adult insects can evolve into a deep interest in their immature stages, ecology and conservation and this book will help light your way. Feltwell, J. (1982) Large White Butterfly – the biology, biochemistry and physiology of Pieris brassicae Linnaeus). Dr. W. Junk, The Hague. Wiklund, C. (1977) Courtship Behaviour in Relation to Female Monogamy in Leptidea sinapis, Oikos, 29, 275-283. This week I’m speaking to butterfly expert Peter Eeles. If you’re interested in encouraging more butterflies into your garden and you’d like to know what plants to grow to encourage them, we discuss how you can be a better gardener for butterflies and it doesn’t stop at growing some buddleia! Peter is the author of the book Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies. The book is THE definitive guide to UK butterflies and documents the different life stages from adults down to the smallest eggs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment