276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Name is Not Refugee: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It’s a preschool book, so it’s a hit light on what it’s actually like to be a refugee but it’s sad and hopeful and encourages children to think about how they’d cope with being away from everything they loved and hopefully teach them a bit of empathy. This story explores the vibrancy and diversity of city life through gritty, yet child-friendly illustrations that are beautifully atmospheric and evocative. I haven't charted out my visits for the summer term, but I'm sure there are several in the south) and thanks so much for being so fantastic! I also find your use of negative space really powerful; plain backgrounds help readers focus their attention on the characters and actions.

And the illustrations do just what they should, allowing the reader time to contemplate the predicament of the storybook child, a chance to imagine and to empathize. Our handy teaching pack is bursting with essential teaching materials to support children's learning about World Refugee Day. This is a superb book for children aged between 4-8, as it encourages young readers to think about the challenges faced by the character – great for comprehension.Kate Milner’s My Name is Not Refugee is a beautifully-illustrated story that explains the refugee crisis in a touching and accessible way. They would also only drop off a case of books and leave us to run it – it was so lovely to have you on hand to chat to the children and recommend them books, as well as the small (but appreciated! Ask the children to draw a picture of the little boy and what was happening in one part of the story. Children’s books offer a channel to touch on these subjects in the way which is safe and pitched appropriately.

Readers are taken a long the little boy’s journey from his hometown and country to a new, safe place. This book meant well, and was well-received (I suspect 100% because of the subject matter rather than the execution), but, when it comes down to it, it completely misrepresents refugees, the situations they face, and the discrimination that's always there. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. His mother explains that they will have to leave their town and it will be sad but also a little bit exciting.

Your words, like your reviews, bring books to life and give them a voice before the front cover is even turned. Milner's great strength comes in her restraint; the text is poised and quiet, simply rendering the events with a sort of matter of fact air. Themes :It focuses on exploring the following themes: being safe, family, loss, journeys, identity, refugee crisis, value, inclusion among others.

Quick to download and easy to print, this pack gives you everything you need to deliver a great all-round lesson on World Refugee Day for children. The opening page to this book contains the words (that I am sure) no parent or carer ever wishes to say to their child. This incredibly poignant story introduces the concept of refugees with straightforward language, tackling this difficult subject with truth, clarity and strikingly beautiful illustrations.This was a really short book about a mum who tries to explain to her child what it will be like when they leave their home and become refugees. They are likely to produce loads of interesting questions themselves, and probably will interpret the book in a completely different way to you! Milner's narrative is short, but certainly not sweet, as the unnamed child narrator recounts what their mother has told him and the unusual activities, scenes, sounds and scents that he explores on his way to his new home. I am not very good at colour so it took quite a long time for the publishers and I to get this scheme right. Now - with Russia's ongoing aggression against their neighbours - half of my extended family have been refugees for the past seven years.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment