276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Walkers Scottish Biscuitt Assortment 900g

£13.6£27.20Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Store the shortbread in an airtight container for up to several weeks. Its flavor and texture improves over time. Are they cakes or biscuits? That question was actually debated in court as a legal case first raised in 1991. The battle was sparked by a legal quirk that means tax is charged on chocolate-covered biscuits, but not on cakes. The manufacturer, McVities, had always categorised Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but tax authorities wanted them re-categorised as biscuits. Using a round cookie cutter cut out 16 biscuits and place them on a lined baking tray. We used a 7/8mm cutter but you could use a bigger/smaller one to get more/fewer biscuits.

A very long time ago, biscuits were made from leftover baked goods which were repurposed into another form. You may remember I explained that “biscotti” means “cooked twice” in Italian, which is where the word, “biscuit” comes from. When butter began being added, these biscuits were no longer cooked twice, but the name remained. Shortbread is as basic and simple as a cookie (biscuit) can get. But it’s also divinely delicious. And for that reason shortbread has been a favorite throughout the UK for hundreds of years. Please note – Deliveries cannot be made on Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays in the country or region of destination. Knead the mixture gently to bring it all together in a ball of dough. We had to do this for a while to stop the mixture crumbling apart when we tried to roll it out, but as soon as you have a nice dough, stop kneading it because the less you work the dough, the softer and crumblier your shortbread will be.

One Scottish Scran Facebook follower even shared that they found them in a local Scottish bakery under the name Freedom Biscuits… a not so subtle nod to Scottish independence maybe?! Either way, they still tasted great apparently! Things you’ll need to make Empire Biscuits Use a spatula or a pastry/dough scraper to move the biscuits onto the baking tray, lined with baking paper or a reusable liner. The afternoon/evening involved a lot of waiting but was overall a fantastic experience, with us even getting to see the new episode of The Great British Bake Off days before it debuted on TV. And we even made the final edit and can be seen talking about your selection of regional biscuits. You can see it on All4– I should mention that we were asked before if I minded going along with the joke and of course agreed! The final element of your biscuit dough is the flour. No raising agent is required, so plain flour is perfect. Don’t be alarmed if you think you’ve used too much flour – once you get your hands in and work the ingredients, they will come together!

Shortbread purists might not approve of this sinful iteration, but who cares? Albeit far from the original, to me, these bars are heaven.Mix all the ingredients together by hand or mixer, to a stiff consistency (the butter shouldn’t be too soft, but also not straight from the fridge, especially if you use a mixer). Don’t overwork the dough; stop when it just comes together. That’s it, you’ve just made shortbread dough! I told you it was easy! Out of the shortbread we took along it included my favourite kind – Highlander Shortbread. The biscuit itself is made to the same recipe as Granny’s Shortbread but the technique and the addition of a demerara sugar coating adds a little something extra to these perfect buttery biscuits.

Measure the butter and get your kids to chop it into small pieces (this will make it easier to rub in). Pop it into the mixing bowl. Roll out into the shape of a pan or tin you want to bake them in. I baked this in an 8 x 8 pan. Trim the edges to the approximate size. Somewhere between a chocolate bar and a biscuit, Kit Kat was launched in September 1935 in the UK as Rowntree’s Chocolate Crisp, and the later two-finger version was launched in 1936. Kids will also enjoy getting assemble and decorate the biscuits. With just a little icing on top, they’re simpler to decorate than some bakes, so great for even little kids. And if messy icing is a step too far for you, you can put kids in charge of adding the cherry or sweetie on top.You can either buy caster sugar (it’s overpriced) or make you’re own, which is what I do. Super easy: Just put the sugar in a blender or coffee/spice grinder and pulse until it’s very fine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment