276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Spot's Fire Engine: shaped book with siren and flashing light!

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The novel relates the adventures of an eccentric family, the Mortmains, struggling to live in genteel poverty in a decaying castle during the 1930s. The first-person narrator is Cassandra Mortmain, an intelligent teenager who tells the story through her journal. It is a coming-of-age story in which Cassandra passes from being a girl at the beginning to being a young woman at the end.

In November 2015, a BBC Radio 4 adaption was broadcast, which was dramatised by Jane Rogers and directed by Nadia Molinari. It starred Holliday Grainger as Cassandra and Toby Jones as Mortmain.

Selected Works under MDS 823.912 (13,098)

Summers, Sue (6 April 2003). "Her castle was her home". The Guardian. ISSN 0029-7712 . Retrieved 17 February 2023. The Snowman by Michael Morpurgo not only brings a much-loved tale to a new audience, it brings with it an extra layer of festive magic. We predict this book will fast become as much a part of every family Christmas as snuggling down with a hot chocolate to catch the classic animation on TV.' - JUNIOR magazine I Capture the Castle review – musical labour of love oozes romance". TheGuardian.com. 9 April 2017.

I don't want to use that 823 (English Fiction) Dewey topic, so I typed in: "248" and LibraryThing accepted my edit.

About

a b c d Gritten, David (11 July 2003). "The coming of age of a much-loved story". Los Angeles Times . Retrieved 2 October 2021. Gioia, Michael (24 January 2013). "Pace University Will Offer Free Concert Readings of Drew Gasparini and Alex Brightman's Make Me Bad Musical". Playbill . Retrieved 2 October 2021.

A musical adaptation with book and lyrics by Teresa Howard and music by Steven Edis received its staged premiere at the Watford Palace Theatre in April 2017. It was directed by Brigid Larmour. [6] On 5 November 2019, the BBC News listed I Capture the Castle on its list of the 100 most influential novels. [8] At their first meeting the Cottons are amused and interested by the Mortmains. When they pay a call the very next day, however, the inexperienced Rose flirts openly with Simon and makes herself look ridiculous. Both brothers are repelled by this display and, as they walk away, Cassandra overhears them resolving to drop all acquaintance with the Mortmains. After an amusing episode involving a fur coat, however, all is forgiven and the two families become good friends. Rose decides that she really is taken with Simon, and Cassandra and Topaz scheme to get Simon to propose to her. Simon falls in love with Rose and proposes to her.He spends the whole day making his perfect snowman; he has coal eyes, an old green hat and scarf and a tangerine nose... just like the snowman from his favourite story. I Capture the Castle is the first novel of English author Dodie Smith, written during the Second World War when she and her husband Alec Beesley, an English conscientious objector, moved to California. She longed for home and wrote of a happier time, unspecified in the novel apart from a reference to living in the 1930s. Smith was already an established playwright and later became famous for writing the children's classic The Hundred and One Dalmatians. Hayley is About to Grow up". The Australian Women's Weekly. Vol.30, no.38. 20 February 1963. p.1 ( Teenagers' Weekly) . Retrieved 15 September 2017– via National Library of Australia.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment