276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Girl of Ink and Stars: winner of the British Book Awards' Children's Book of the Year, perfect for Christmas

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I am part of a YA book group, this was October's pick of the month but have only just got around to finishing it yesterday.

It reminded me of Nim's Island meets Journey to the Centre of the Earth meets Disney (and yes, this would make a fantastic movie. I think because this book is so short I didn't feel connected to the characters which really effected my reading experience. But the world beyond the walls is a monster-filled wasteland – and beneath the dry rivers and smoking mountains, a legendary fire demon is stirring from its sleep. Isabella’s quality of character is further enhanced by her friendship with the Governor’s daughter, Lupe. I profili dei personaggi sono ben delineati, la protagonista incarna il tipico profilo dell’eroina e difficilmente si comporta diversamente da come ci viene presentata all’inizio, ma nei capitoli finali abbiamo un grandissimo colpo di scena che non voglio spoilerare ma troviamo una totale evoluzione che vi lascerà a bocca aperta, come è successo a me.

Instead, she defies presumptions about her gender and delves into the darkest parts of the island, moving toward danger, rather than away from it. The focus on friendship was a good staple to hold the story together, though in the end there's an unnecessary sacrifice. She is such a strong and fierce character and I’m sure that she will be an inspiration to many young girls.

The resource is suitable for learners in P5-P7 working within Second Level of the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence. Her first book for adults, The Mercies, debuted as The Times number 1 bestseller, and at number 5 in the Sunday Times Bestseller Charts. The Girl of Ink and Stars is one of those rare treasures that is as gorgeous on the inside as it is on the outside. stars - sometimes it’s nice to see what is being put out there as children’s literature these days, and I wasn’t let down here!

Tohle bylo skvělé dobrodružství a styl psaní autora se mi moc líbil, udrželo mě to v napětí po celou dobu a prostě to bylo krásné, kouzelné, smutné, veselé, nostalgické. I find this blend of talent with restraint rare these days when so much in books and films is overdone so that absolutely nothing is left to the audience's imagination. Not that I don't like funny books, in their place, but I find it tiresome when books for kids (or adults) deliver lines as if we were reading a script for an American sit-com.

What I particularly loved about the book was that it closed with more questions than it had answers, it left me wanting more and also drew me to the world and those within it even more. Somehow, it all still flowed enough that I was interested in how everything was going to shake out, but I never got too invested in what this island world might be like.I think Hargrave uses the island myth to great effect and is consistent and steady with her modern (within the book's context which has a 19th-century feel) parallels and revelations. There were some fun elements, but I was way more curious about the magic, which was mostly left as background. who is also ridiculously courageous and awkward and a sweet cinnamon roll like I just wanna protect her with all my soul?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment