276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lion: Son Of The Forest (Warhammer 40,000)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It has a narrow scope, with a more focused story because it is all about that setting up HIM in the current setting. It is the footing we need for him to have other stories after this, because you have to start somewhere. So the fact that people bashed on this novel so hard when it didn't even get wide release yet, based on frankly outrageous expectations for what it should have been is just plain bizarre to me. Enter a world where nowhere is safe and fight against a range of mutated creatures, some who are almost human like, and others who are like nothing you have ever seen before. Armed with pistols, axes, stun batons and more, protect yourself and those you care for. Build and Craft

The way Mike Brooks has represented a 10,000 year old primarch, I think, is one of the best power scaling/balancing acts in all 40k novels up to this point. For this reason alone, this book is an instant S tier...shining example of how to properly portray a creature like the Lion, in my opinion. There was never any doubt that another Loyalist Primarch would be returning to the series, and Lion El'Jonson was always the front runner in that race, so it isn't much of a surprise that this happened. It is still deliciously enjoyable to see it play out. Unlike the horrible Ultra depression we see in Guilliman's dealing with his own return, the Lion hits the ground running singularly focused on the mission. Cut off from the rest of the Imperium? We'll deal with it. Enemies at every corner? We'll deal with it. Chaos out of control? We'll deal with it. Phil Kelly's novel at the beginning of 8th Ed around Primaris being 'accepted' by the Dark Angels was bad, I'm still not sure if he even understands a lot of the narrative around the Unforgiven chapters. Gave Thorpe's Luther novel was a solid miss for me, I didn't want to see a novel where half the time is spent on Caliban pre-Lion exploring his largely inconsequential past. This is a difficult and delicate book to manage, as all big event books are, but Mike Brooks handles it with aplomb! In this midnight age, the dying embers of humanity are threatened on all sides by the hungry darkness. Alone, even the Lion has no hope of prevailing against such evil – but there are those who would aid him in his quest. Hunted to the edge of endurance, many among his Fallen knights have long-awaited the day their liege would return to redeem them. The Lord of Shadowed Paths must gather these lost loyalists to his side once more, and stride forth to vanquish a traitorous son and the twisted Chaos warband that calls him master.

One-Winged Angel: Seraphax transforms into a giant demonic form when it becomes obvious he cannot win otherwise.

Flashy Teleportation: The Lion's emergence from the forest is always accompanied by the forest briefly manifesting at his destination. Faced with these strange times, the Lion can be certain of nothing and no-one, except for himself. But in a galaxy without the Emperor, without the Imperium, without his Legion, and without Caliban… who is he? Games Workshop has attracted a lot of new fans thanks to the Horus Hersey series, and Son of the Forest is the best way for those in 30K to jump into the 40K lore. For long-time fans of the far future, the Lion’s return is everything you could have hoped for: a glimmer of hope that nonetheless respects the setting. La historia transcurre en el milenio 40 de este universo, ahora el Leon ha despertado y se encuentra completamente desorientado tanto por su falta de memoria como por el lugar que se encuentra, en unos bosques le son familiares, sólo puede seguir sus instintos y su capacidad de razón.The perspective in the books shifts between the Lion, a Terran veteran of the Legion and a wonderfully portrayed Chaos Space Marine warband. His Lion gradually comes into himself as the book progresses and the way his relationships develop with the supporting characters is interesting. Zabriel is a great character, like the Lion stranded out of time and forced by circumstance to be self-reliant it feels like the majority of the book is told in his words and I enjoyed being in his company. The various corrupted Space Marines we meet range in their devotion to the dark Gods and depravity but all drip with charisma and personality- interestingly they’re notably different from the Alpha Legionaries featured in Brooks’ Harrowmaster. Throughout the book are some of the most interesting depictions of relationships between Space Marines that I can recall reading, there is rivalry, antagonism and distrust but also genuine bonds of friendship and tenderness if not outright homoeroticism. The Lion. Son of the Emperor, brother of demigods and Primarch of the Dark Angels. Awakened. Returned. And yet... lost. There are shades of old Lion in him. Such as during the first fight against the Not-Chaos Beast, he imperiously throws his gore-clogged helmet to the people he dived in to save, commanding them first to stay out of the way, and second, clean my helmet. During a fight. That's our lovable bastard.

Nothing the Lion can do will undo all the stuff the DA have done over 10k years hunting the lion, the sheer number of loyal souls they put to the pyre is insane. After retaking Camarth in full, Lion is dismayed to discover there are no navigators and no astropaths left on the planet, leaving him seemingly trapped here. Before he can dwell on it, though, he feels something calling for him from the nearby forest. He goes there, along with Zabriel and Lion Guard (a dozen or so humans who proclaimed themselves his honor guard). The group finds itself in Lion's odd like-Caliban-but-not forest, and eventually emerges on a completely different planet, Avalus. The Lion receives the Emperor's Shield during one of his vision trials in the Forest. As his various daemons come at him in the form of his Primarch bros, a kite shield emblazoned with an Eagle pops up, imparts upon him a Vision, of whom he feels the touch of the Emperor on his mind. Hard Work Hardly Works: Discussed and defied; as a Primarch, the Lion is a natural at almost anything he tries his hand at, but almost is the operative word here. He's unable to control his forestwalking until he puts time and effort into practice. The Fallen the Lion meets, with one exception, were not high enough in the chain of command to know what exactly happened on Caliban; for them, the first sign of the battle were Lion's ships raining fire on them, which is why they have such hard time trusting him right now.

Sign In

Halflings don’t make natural Blood Bowl players, but with enough gumption and a good lunch even the shortest soul can rise to league stardom. Take Cindy Piewhistle for example – once a master baker, now a Star Player who weaponises her delicious wares, while Puggy Baconbreath is an elite athlete by usual halfling standards, with the skill and discipline of a champion twice his size. When the Lion tries and fails to communicate with the king in the forest, the Watcher in the Dark tells him that he's not asking "the right question", and refuses to elaborate further. Así es como el leon se encamina en un viaje para volver a poder proteger a la humanidad que ahora es acosada por la disformidad y los xenos ¿podrá reunir las fuerzas necesarias para defenderlos a todos?

I'm not sure I've read too much by Mike Brooks; I think he's done some Horus Heresy bits and pieces, I'll have to dig them out and see what they're like. If you prefer your anti-tank options a little more discrete, the Sicaran Venator trades mass for speed and can wind its way around enemy flanks before lancing neutron beam laser blasts right through the sides of opposing tanks. Random Transportation: How the Lion's forestwalking works for most of the book; even when he figures out how to willingly enter the forest, he still has no control over where he exits. It takes a lot of practice before he manages to master it. Faced with these strange times, the Lion can be certain of nothing and no-one, except for himself. But in a galaxy without the Emperor, without the Imperium, without his Legion, and without Caliban… who is he? [1] SourcesSpell My Name with a "The": When not referred to as "Lord Lion" or "Lion El'Jonson", he's always called the Lion by the narration, regardless of the point of view character. Covers Always Lie: The cover shows the Lion wielding both Fealty and the Emperor's Shield; in the book, he does not acquire the Shield until the penultimate chapter, and never takes it with him to battle. Also, I think the relationship between the two lead Space Marine antagonists had just that hint of queerness I’ve come to enjoy from Brook’s writing. Not much to say there, but just glad it exists. At the dawn of the Imperium of Man, there was no force more deadly nor more loyal to the Emperor than the Dark Angels, the first Legion of Space Marines. Led by their implacable and unstoppable Primarch and genefather, Lion El’Johnson, better known as the Lion, nothing was able to stop the Dark Angels as they crusaded from planet to planet dispensing the Emperor’s will. However, following the events of the Horus Heresy and the Lion’s inability to save the Emperor, the Dark Angels imploded from within. Treachery and years of resentment saw the Legion engage in a brutal and sudden civil war, which resulted in the destruction of the Dark Angel’s home world of Caliban, the scattering of the traitor Dark Angels throughout time and space as the Fallen, and the disappearance and apparent death of the Lion right when the galaxy needed him most. Lion subdues the Fallen, named Zabriel, and learns that Zabriel thought that Lion was a traitor to the Imperium and Caliban - as Zabriel saw it, Lion's fleet was the one to open fire on Caliban. Lion swears that was not the case, and has Zabriel swear that he wasn't the one to shoot first either. They start to (distrustfully at first) work together.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment