276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Woom

£3.69£7.38Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

TW: drug abuse, dead babies, sex workers, cheating, racism, abortion (wire hanger), drug mule, overdose, rape, male mutation

A key difference between Freidman and Schwartz’s book up to 1960 and Blinder’s book from 1961 onwards is the inclusion of the fiscal history and the associated integration of some of the political economy that surrounds fiscal policy. I think this only improves upon the text and provides a fuller understanding of how the US is in the macroeconomic situation and framework it is today, but this inclusion stems from the difference between Blinder’s academic school of thought (Keynesian) and Friedman and Schwartz’s (Monetarists). An in-depth 40-minute audio discussion of Room by the Slate Book Club, http://www.slate.com/id/2286457/ This is dark stuff. This is uncomfortable stuff. This is a story about a horrible person doing horrible things. It should have punched me in the core and twisted me up in knots.it took me over two weeks to finish the first half. i finished the second half during an afternoon and part of an evening. an amazing novel and a very emotional experience. i think i'll save writing a review for a little bit and let it sink in for a while. The novel was longlisted for the 2011 Orange Prize [3] and won the 2011 Commonwealth Writers' Prize regional prize (Caribbean and Canada). It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2010, and was shortlisted for the 2010 Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize [4] and the 2010 Governor General's Awards. [5] Maite Escudero-Alias, 'The Willful Child': Resignifying Vulnerability through Affective Attachments in Emma Donoghue's Room,’ in Victimhood and Vulnerability in 21st Century Fiction, 2017, 35-52. Boyd Tonkin, ‘Room With a Panoramic View: How Emma Donoghue's Latest Novel Aims to Tell a Universal Story’, Independent, 6 August 2010, http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/room-with-a-panoramic-view-how-emma-donoghues-latest-novel-aims-to-tell-a-universal-story-2044373.html. A particularly insightful article. I still think Emma Donoghue achieved an amazing job by telling this compelling story with her unique voice. Especially reflecting a captive young boy’s voice is the most challenging thing and argumentative subject. But she tried something unique, complex and she reached to our hearts and minds at the same time!

Reading from Room at International Festival of Authors in Toronto, October 2010: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/in-other-words/podcast-emma-donoghue-reads-at-ifoa-2010/article1784074/ To sum up, this wasn’t as prurient as I feared, and it was very thought-provoking, but it could have been SO much better. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit....” They don’t have anything of value or importance to say. I will opt out of a book like that every time (unless I’m reviewing it for SCREAM). To just go hug your mom so passionately and just keep saying Thank you.... to Hug your kid and really care for everything they say or want.

Reader Reviews

Marisol Morales Ladrón,‘Psychological Resilience in Emma Donoghue’s Room,’ in National Identities and Imperfections in Contemporary Irish Literature: Unbecoming Irishness,ed. Luz Mar González-Árias (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017), pp.83-98. This book was as interesting and twisted as I hoped it would be! The writing style was slightly jarring and I got one sentence into the audiobook before going NOPE (annoying child voice... argh), but I did end up enjoying it once I got further into it! The night that these two spend together is told in a series of vignette-style stories the two tell each other.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment