276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Opticron Discovery WP PC 8x50 Binoculars, Black

£99.5£199.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

These are the West German version and not being the "B" version, they have the hard eyecups, not the rubber eyecups. Lateral color is the form of chromatic aberration that occurs when different colors have increasingly different magnifications away from the field center. Roof prism binoculars are more expensive than roof binoculars, even though they produce identical images. Also, something that is increasingly important to me, in bright daylight the reduced pupil of the eye will effectively stop the 8x50 down from its native focal ratio of about f/4 to about f/12, which reduces all aberrations by more than the same effect does in smaller exit-pupil binoculars.

For the less adventurous among us, we have to deal with a stiff focuser the rest of the year when we're birding in fair weather, and I can't see the point of that. Well on the back of 3 personal recommendations and the input from all guys above I got myself two 8x50's from Macleods today. The UX with rim is suitable for pre-positioned installation; the UX without rim is suitable for push-through installation. Most binoculars come with twisted eyecups that allow you to use your optical instruments comfortably even when you are wearing glasses. Discovery WP PC binoculars are supplied in soft case with rainguard, wide lanyard and objective lens caps.I will give Ultravid a try one more time, but as I remember I pulled the occular all the way when looking through without my glasses on and closed it when looking with my glasses on. I also have a pair of Leitz Marisept binoculars which I love to pieces and a collection of inexpensive vintage Japanese binoculars with the 11-degree field of view (7x35 up to 10x50 with huge prisms and eye lenses which are really fun to use). Alternatively, if you're simply looking for a good-looking option, you may go with Celestron – SkyMaster DX 8x56mm Binoculars – Premium Outdoor. I’ve decided there’s not much point in a detailed description of the 8x50 Ultravid since it is about to be replaced and you seem to have already elliminated it.

I use mine mainly on cloudy winter days, but if I knew that's all I would use them for I wouldn't have bought them. I have good quality 70mm and 80mm finders but I have found the 50mm to be more effective, it offers a much wider field of view along with sufficient aperture for a finder. The fixing sets with screws, eye screws and hooks provide the optimum solution for almost all applications. But birding in Arizona especially convinced me that I needed more power; there were too many times when I wished I could see just a little more detail to positively ID a bird (and the wide open spaces in the desert allow for much more long distance birding than here in Michigan). Although the appearance of binoculars is not indicative of optical quality, roof prisms allow them to be lighter and smaller.The larger exit pupil really does make a difference, to the extent that I don't think I really need the 42's, my 32's being my optics of choice for most other daylight viewing (although the 42's are an excellent compromise if you only want to have one binocular). I want to receive advertising information based on my interests and activities from the Leica Camera Group on Leica Camera products, services, events, and marketing promotions. In low light, the 8x50 Trinovid outperforms my 8x42 Trinovid (classic) in a more than noticeable way.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment