276Ā°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Golden Hour: A Novel

Ā£9.9Ā£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Anyways, this was another masterpiece written by Katie! Her characters and writing are always so beautiful, and this book was no different šŸ¤§Ā Iā€™m a better person for reading this book, and Iā€™m so so thankful for it. The only thing Iā€™m mad about is that I donā€™t have my own Liam šŸ„² sheyanne (!!!) i love her smšŸ„² i feel like many people would be able to relate to her, her growth, HER in general. i seriously canā€™t even put into words how great i think she is Benedict Thrope disappears on the night of the murder. Lulu embarks to London to find his family to seek the truth, Smith weaves a beautiful story of resilience and the sweet onset of first loveā€¦ A stunning work of self-discovery, vulnerability, and finding beauty beyond tragedy.ā€ ā€• School Library Journal, starred review stars. Leonora "Lulu" Randolph, a newly widowed and newly minted reporter for an American magazine, arrives in June 1941 to Nassau to write about the latest gossip of the Bahamian governor and his wife, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. On the plane she meets a mysterious Englishman, Benedict Thorpe. She ingratiates herself into Wallis and Edward's social circle and enters into a mutual arrangement with the Duchess and her New York publisher to write the Lady of Nassau column. Clever and observant she learns who are the players in Nassau from the rich and infamous from the watering holes, the Windsor's functions, and to the Red Cross events. Thoroughly researched, I felt as if I was in the Bahamas in the 1940s and traveling along with Lulu as she biked, volunteered, and bantered with the locals. However, all is not golden in this sunshine paradise. Nassau is filled with swindlers, spies, racists, traitors, and the power hungry culminating in treason and murder.

Golden hour of neonatal life: Need of the hour - PubMed Golden hour of neonatal life: Need of the hour - PubMed

The art! How have I gotten this far and not talked about the art yet? Formatted around the idea of the golden hour for photography, there are just some goregous shots in here. Absolutely gorgeous. I only know Niki Smith from The Deep & Dark Blue, but I feel like this book has built on what I loved about that book. With a soft start and a gentle build, Smithā€™s graphic novel details the realities of Manuelā€™s trauma response while reveling in subdued, generous scenes that showcase the three friendsā€™ everyday joys.ā€ ā€• Publishers Weekly, starred review something that will take a romance book to the next level for me is when the main characters arenā€™t simply reduced to being part of a couple. & i LOVED the fact that shey and liamā€™s relationship was so incredibly healthy and wonderful but that they were also such real and fleshed out characters individually. Beatriz Williams is the author of several different historical fiction novels. Despite my love for the genre, this is actually the first time Iā€™ve read one of her stories. And Iā€™m definitely a fan of her writing styleā€”you can tell she definitely does her historical research.

If youā€™re interested in a story about what the Duke and Duchess of Windsor did during their stint in the Bahamas and their Nazi sympathies, look elsewhere. The Windsors are integral to the plot of the book, such as it is, but theyā€™re only there to provide skimpy context for the very silly story of Lulu and her Thorpe.

Golden Hour : Book summary and reviews of The Golden Hour The Golden Hour : Book summary and reviews of The Golden Hour

In any case, The Golden Hour is very good, and does an excellent job of portraying the aftermath of a school shooting without actually delving too deep into the traumatic event itself. A very solid read for kids who might be struggling and don't want to relive the news. liam was the sweetest guy ever I LOVED HIM. i need my own liam landon in my life. he was so loving and patient towards sheyanne and would do absolutely anything for her. their relationship was so beautiful and i literally cried at multiple parts during this book.

Part of their lives involve politics, war, betrayal and even a murder, none of which either woman sought or was intimately entangled with. The events happened around them and would have happened without them, in most cases. The first, which takes place in the early 1900s, is about Elfriede, an 18-year-old German beauty who marries a baron and suffers horribly from postpartum depression. She is summarily shipped off to a psychiatric facility in Switzerland to come to her senses. Instead, while there she meets the man who will be the love of her life.

The Golden Hour: A Novel by Beatriz Williams, Paperback

This novel contains all the ingredients for a fascinating work of historical fiction, and itā€™s penned by a gifted wordsmith. The Golden Hour is a tale of wartime courage, espionage, dashed dreams, renewed hopes, and the tightest bonds of love. My kind of read! Holy cow! Talk about a lot going on! I really enjoyed this book! I have found that I actually tend to enjoy historical fiction books way more than I think I will prior to starting the book. At least that has been the case with the last few of them that I have read anyways. My second problem is that none of these characters rang true. They felt two dimensional to me. Williams peppers the book with true events, like the murder of Harry Oakes. But it all just seemed like glossy fiction. Donā€™t go into this if youā€™re expecting in depth historical fiction. Itā€™s more soap opera quality. Let me just start by saying this book is SO appropriately titled! If the feeling of ā€˜golden hourā€™ could be captured in a book, it would easily be this one.Ā And if that doesnā€™t convince you to read it, I donā€™t know what will šŸŒ„ The other woman we follow is Lulu in 1941 just as she is arriving in the Bahamas to cover gossip about the scandalous Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Edward and Wallis Simpson. There she gets caught up in possible treasonous acts and meets Benedict Thorpe, a man she thinks is more than he is letting on.It might have been better had the teacher returned (with bandage) to school. Then some strong amount of time go by (where these triggers are kept away), and maybe have these re-surface in the next school year. He definitely should have been told to stay away from violent video games! However, his single-mom seemed quite busy and maybe this was just a natural human-slip per the juggling life-style. The New York Times bestselling author of The Summer Wives and A Certain Age creates a dazzling epic of World War II-era Nassauā€”a hotbed of spies, traitors, and the most infamous couple of the age, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Raised in the city of Vegas, the small town was not what he expected. Hired to help Mr. Shaw manage his finances, he canā€™t turn down the opportunity to help out his grandparents and start building a life for himself. While traveling for the job isnā€™t unheard of as a freelancer, itā€™s a bit different to be expected to stay for three months. Liam is open to itā€”only to be met with the absolute spitfire of his bossā€™s daughter. Forty years early Elfriede is living in Switzerland, in a former mountain top monastery turned sanatorium, recovering from what we know is post-partum depression. During the early 1900ā€™s however, her doctors had no idea this ailment existed, so Elfriede was there for two years when we meet her. There she meets a ginger-haired Englishman recovering from pneumonia and from the moment they first speak they know, somehow, they will remain in each otherā€™s lives as the decades move on.

Golden Hour of You and Me by K. Jamila | Goodreads Golden Hour of You and Me by K. Jamila | Goodreads

Final review thoughts: a well-written historical fiction novel about two women doing anything for love. I was first drawn to The Golden Hour for both the setting in 1940s and also featuring theDuke and Duchess of Windsor. I really didnā€™t know much about them until I watched season one of Netflixā€™s The Crownand letā€™s just say they were quite the complicated couple. Thanks to the author, HarperCollins Publishers and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine. Mostly, I loved how this book is Sheyanneā€™s story as much as it is a romance. It hit a little too close to home to read about her internal battles, but it was worth it, and I learned a lot from her. Witnessing Sheyanne make amends with people from her past and grow as a character was everything and more šŸ„¹ Liam being the most patient and unwavering force in her life was just the cherry on top of the cake. They deserve the world, and Iā€™m so glad they found each other šŸ«¶Sebastian lives on a grass-fed cattle farm outside town, and Manuel finds solace in the open fields and the antics of the newborn calf Sebastian is hand-raising. As Manuel aides his new friends in their preparations for the local county fair, he learns to open up, confronts his deepest fears, and even finds first love.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment