276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Feminism, Interrupted: Disrupting Power (Outspoken by Pluto)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She is the co-author of A FLY Girl's Guide to University: Being a Woman of Colour at Cambridge and Other Institutions of Power and Elitism (Verve Poetry Press, 2019). I would love it if it went even deeper, but at 143 pages she does an amazing job of cramming so much information in and explaining things in a really accessible way.

I would have been bowled over if the chapter on food concentrated on food justice with inspiration from Vandana Shiva. It's not about focusing on women's reproductive rights as this can be an alienating for trans women or queer women. This succinct guide to feminism is a refreshing antidote to the capitalist libertarian "Lean In" brand of feminism and, together with Dawn Foster's excellent Lean Out, I would highly recommend it. Purtroppo non esiste ancora una traduzione in italiano, ma data la fluidità della prosa e la brevità del saggio, io sono sicuro che possa essere fruibile anche da persone meno ferrate in inglese.She points to those middle-class feminists who make much of Muslim women as needing saving from a system of oppression that is “other”, without recognising that oppression is everywhere: in the UK, two women a week are killed by a partner or former partner. Reclaiming feminism from the clutches of the consumerist, neoliberal model, Feminism, Interrupted shows that when 'feminist' is more than a label, it holds the potential for radical transformative work. She is author of Feminism Interrupted: Disrupting Power, Experiments in Imagining Otherwise and a member of 'bare minimum', an interdisciplinary anti-work arts collective. Her book brings it back to the real world, where feminism is about “food insecurity and access to quality education, safe neighbourhoods, a living wage and medical care”. But loosely, feminists have understood gender as our sense of self in the world, how we present our bodies, speak, move--anything that refers to our own bodies.

Questo, in modo forse più significativo, mi ha liberato dal desiderio di con formarmi alla realtà intorno a me; il femminismo mi ha permesso di essere ribelle, il tipo sbagliato di donna, diversa. Feminism, Interrupted manages to be a primer for several areas of feminism such as prison abolition, sex work and transmisogyny while also being very thorough and in-depth. Olufemi centres radical feminist efforts to move global society towards a collective, non-authoritarian position in which national boundaries are dropped, resources are shared, and people come together in solidarity rather than in a dog-eat-dog scramble for dominance.But she makes up for it in optimism, looking ahead to a feminism that includes the experiences of all women. for me - i think it was a great read and very easy to get through (which is such a relief when reading about feminism lol). Ci ho messo del tempo per capire che la vera emancipazione consiste nell’estendere questa scoperta della libertà oltre me stessa.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment