276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Burning Land

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At the end of the ninth century, with King Alfred of Wessex in ill health and his heir still an untested youth, it falls to Alfred's reluctant warlord Uhtred to outwit and outbattle the invading enemy Danes, led by the sword of savage warrior Harald Bloodhair. But the sweetness of Uhtred's victory is soured by tragedy, forcing him to break with the Saxon king. Joining the Vikings, allied with his old friend Ragnar--and his old foe Haesten--Uhtred devises a strategy to invade and conquer Wessex itself. But fate has very different plans.

Constant philosophical battle between paganism and Christianity that depicts given period precisely. Los daneses, cual depredadores agazapados, huelen que tienen otra oportunidad de cazar la codiciada presa de Wessex, que milagrosamente se ha resistido durante los últimos años.Uhtred of Bebbanburg’s mind is as sharp as his sword. A thorn in the side of the priests and nobles who shape his fate, this Saxon raised by Vikings is torn between the life he loves and those he has sworn to serve. The Burning Land is the fifth installment in Bernard Cornwell’s Last Kingdom series; the battle and conflict with the Danes continue. In addition to this, there’s also a new villain: Skade. Skade is a woman with a dark power to rule over men’s hearts. I’m truly impressed by Cornwell’s capability to weave an engaging story. I’ve read five books in this series now, and I’m still not bored by it yet despite the episodic and formulaic storytelling. The themes and topics of an oath, duty, faith, and loyalty return here once more, and sorely tested Uthred shall be. Bernard Cornwell's The Burning Land is an irresistible new chapter in his epic story of the birth of England and the legendary king who made it possible.

We are Danes, and we are Saxon, and we are warriors who love to fight. In our halls at night we chant the tales of men we have killed, of the women we have widowed, and of the children we have orphaned. So make your choice! Either give me a new song to sing or else lay down your weapons." As with previous books, I continue to love Uthred and despise Alfred, but it's the secondary characters that make it for me. There are so many to note: Ragnar, Gisela, Brida, Steapa, Aethelfaed, Osferth, Father Pyrlig, Finan, and of course Brother Beocca. I'm especially fond of Ragnar and Steapa. This book is full of strong women in a time period where it seems the history books would have us believe none existed. I think he does an especially great job with Alfred's daughter Aethelfaed. Around 3,000 farmers apply annually to burn green waste on their farms and O’Brien said that the burning alternatives proposed by DAFM are “less than satisfactory”. Corre el año 892. La salud del Alfredo pasa por un momento delicado y parece que su reinado toca a su fin. Read this for a book group, would not normally have chosen this type of book, left with mixed feelings. I think Alagiah was probably a better journalist than novelist, but I can see why he wanted to write a book on this theme.

I wish to extend my thanks to NetGalley and Canongate Books for this informative and insightful political thriller. Having read some other crime novels set in post-apartheid South Africa, I was very pleased to receive this advanced electronic copy of The Burning Land in return for an honest review. The ailing Alfred presses Uhtred to swear loyalty to his son and heir Edward, preventing the warrior lord from taking vengeance on those who stole his home at Bebbanburg. Now Uthred will once again defend the Christian kingdom – in a battle which could smash the growing power of the deadly Danes. The only thing to dislike about THE BURNING LAND is that it didn’t go in the direction that the main character (and at least this part of the readership) wanted it to go. But that means that the issue of who holds Bebbanburg Castle will be resolved in another volume, and given Cornwell’s talents, that will be a book to wait for indeed." [3] Adaptation [ edit ] In The Burning Land, the fifth entry in The Saxon Stories, we follow the escapades of a 35 or 36-year-old Uhtred of Bebbanburg. He's still Alfred's oathman and has been residing in Lundune. The Danish warrior, and Uhtred's ex-servant Haesten is an everpresent nuisance, but in this novel, we are introduced to the leader and lover of another force of Danes who are being problematic and threatening Alfred's peace. Harald Bloodhair and Skade. Haesten informs Uhtred that Skade is Bloodhair's woman, bitch, lover, and sorceress. He also kindly warns Uhtred that "if you see her, my friend, you’ll want her. But she’ll nail your skull to her hall gable if she can." The Burning Land is about these Danish threats to Wessex and Mercia and the importance of oaths.

As a child, Cornwell loved the novels of C.S. Forester, chronicling the adventures of fictional British naval officer Horatio Hornblower during the Napoleonic Wars, and was surprised to find there were no such novels following Lord Wellington's campaign on land. Motivated by the need to support himself in the U.S. through writing, Cornwell decided to write such a series. He named his chief protagonist Richard Sharpe, a rifleman involved in most major battles of the Peninsular War. In September, the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) wrote to farmers outlining the alternatives to burning agricultural green waste. This book in the series was easy reading and it flowed effortlessly, sometimes I find Cornwells work quite hard to follow but this novel was much easier to digest. I really like Aethelflaed as a character and her growth as a person and determination really starts to show in this part of the story.

Creative Play

A modo de curiosidad, indagando en la historia, uno de los jarls daneses que participan en las invasiones del los años 892 a 895 en Británia, Haesten, habia protagonizado uno de los periplos vikingos más extraordinarios por el Mediterráneo, en los años anteriores. Ataques en Hispania, contra Astures, contra Pamplona, contra el Califato de Córdoba, en Tarifa y Murcia, Marruecos, Francia, Italia..... expedición, que por si misma daría para otra bonita serie...... Many women have mentioned to me who read Bernard Cornwell that he can’t write a flesh and blood woman character to save his life. His characterisations of women sometimes put me in mind of Michelangelo’s statues of females who really look like men with breasts.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment