276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Throughout the book, the detailed illustrations display the emotional journey that Flossie goes on, the little star motifs being the most telling. The verbal text describes the events whilst trying to deal with them as a child might. Struggling to cope with the responsibility of looking after her brother is a recurring theme:

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright - AbeBooks

A really lovly book. A really easy and personal way for children to access a very difficult subject.

My Secret War

People and organisations across the country are being asked for their help with this year’s Scottish Poppy Appeal. With BRAVO, MR. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE! and TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE Marcia Williams introduces young readers to the world of William Shakespeare's plays. Another classic she has made much more accessible to children--and more appreciated by them--is THE ILIAD AND THE ODYSSEY. "My mother read me classics, but until I got older I never found them interesting," she says. "If I could make these stories more accessible, I realized, kids wouldn't have to wait until they were grown-up to appreciate them." Marcia Williams follows a young girl's coming of age during World War II in a moving fictional journal that includes the author's own family mementos. Tying neatly in with the primary curriculum, this is the perfect book for enthusing nine plus children to learn more about this fascinating period in our history. -- Independent Bookshop Week supplement * The Guardian *

My Secret War Diary by Flossie Albright (written and

But Maddie is honestly super annoying in this diary. She's using her father's military service for social clout and has a pretty inflated sense of importance. The good work she's doing seems more about drawing attention to herself than really helping the war effort. Ultimately, though, she realizes this about herself and does change. While Maddie is not a particularly likable narrator, her self-absorption feels true to life. This book also wrapped up way too soon. It felt like Osborne didn't know how to write an ending and just rushed it. This is a critique I've made about other books in the series. I could have done without the epilogue where we find out she marries Johnny. JUST BECAUSE A NARRATOR HAS A LOVE INTEREST IN THE BOOK DOES NOT MEAN THEY NEED TO GET MARRIED. This is one of the most irritating things about the series as a whole. This is a historical fiction diary, in that it is written about an actual time and place in history but from the viewpoint of a fictional character. Many of the events in the book did actually happen, however the character of Flossie and her family and friends are fictional. My secret war is about a girl named Madeline and her living through world war 2 while her dad is fighting in war. Madeline goes through many obstacles with her friends Clara and Johnny and all the problems that come with having a dad in the war.

And what a story. The story of a young man, a young soldier in the trenches of World War I who, on the spur of the moment, had done what he thought was the right thing. This book is all about kindness, love and among all things hope. I highly recommend it to all readers young and old. Some of the delightful elements in ‘My Secret War Diary’ by Marcia Williams Photo Source: Lisa Lacy SO cool. It's the journal/scrapbook of a fictional character in WWII England. Glad I finally got to it. Put it on my to read list when it was brand new ... and here it is, what. Two or three years later? You can't get to all of them right away. :X David escapes from the concentration camp where he has spent his entire life and flees across Europe. He is utterly alone – who can he trust? What will await him? And all the while, how can he be sure that they won’t catch up with him . . .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment