276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Counterfeit: A Reese Witherspoon Book Club Pick and New York Times BESTSELLER - the most exciting and addictive heist novel you’ll read this summer!

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The protagonists both play heavily on stereotypes to get away with a lot, because they supply the kind of narratives people expect to hear (just as they supply the handbags people expect to see).

Her boss in China, a very powerful man, needs to have a life-saving surgery and would like to have it in the United States. This is a very personal thing, but for me, unreliable narrators work best when there’s a clear reason they can’t be trusted. I quite enjoyed learning about the counterfeit trade, though it only reinforces my opinion that the value assigned to designer gear is a spectacular rort.The rest is just rambling about menial, logistic, mundane life stuff that’s just so so boring, like the kind of stuff your older relatives would nag about… I keep waiting for it to “happen” and it never did. Winnie’s voice enters the story at the midpoint, shining a stark light on the eccentricity of the previous section. Also about the high fashion industry, and the lives of the wealthy upper middle class and how impressively they obliterate their potential for comfort with greed for more. Well Oli spends too long either at work or travelling to and from it and Henri is a very difficult child who cries at every opportunity. But what starts as one favour turns into two, then three, and soon Ava is in far deeper than she ever imagined.

As an affiliate of Booktopia I may earn a small commission on your purchase at no additional cost to you. No surprise that the sly feminist caper was the subject of a fierce eight-way bidding war for TV rights. I think this book was wasted on me as l don’t know a LV from a Sainsbury carrier bag but it doesn’t hi light the obscene conditions children work in to satisfy greedy rich women. But inevitably, things don’t go quite according to plan and much of the narrative is Ava telling her story to the police - willingly in an effort to avoid jail time.Thirty-seven year old Chinese-American Ava, ex-lawyer, married to a French-American surgeon, mother to a toddler Henri, living a picture-perfect life at least in theory. Once I’d finished reading I did question who between the characters was genuine and was telling the truth and who like the counterfeit handbags was completely fake.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment