276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Call Time: The funny and hugely original debut novel from Channel 4 F1 presenter Steve Jones

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Jones was rejected by all the Welsh universities, so he applied to the University of Edinburgh for an undergraduate degree, which had a closing date seven days later, and he was accepted onto a zoology undergraduate course. [9] He stayed on in Edinburgh to do research for a Doctor of Philosophy degree on the ecological genetics of Cepaea, a snail whose shell is polymorphic in colour pattern, making it a model organism for evolutionary biologists. [1] [12] He developed an interest in snails from Bryan Clarke his PhD supervisor. [1] [9] Career and research [ edit ] Jones is a patron of Humanists UK and an honorary associate of the National Secular Society. [27] He was awarded the second Irwin Prize for Secularist of the Year by the National Secular Society on 7 October 2006. On 1 January 2011 he became President of The Association for Science Education. [28] Views on private education [ edit ]

a b c Jones, John Stephen (1971). Studies on the Ecological Genetics of Cepaea . lib.ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl: 1842/15121. OCLC 606118378. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.653149. Jones, Steve (2016). No Need for Geniuses: Revolutionary Science in the Age of the Guillotine. Little, Brown. ISBN 978-0-3494-0545-2. Jones, C. S.; Noble, L. R.; Jones, J. S.; Tegelstrom, H.; Triggs, G. S.; Berry, R. J. (1995). "Differential Male Genetic Success Determines Gene Flow in an Experimentally Manipulated Mouse Population". Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 260 (1359): 251–256. Bibcode: 1995RSPSB.260..251J. doi: 10.1098/rspb.1995.0088. PMID 7630894. S2CID 40092567.Jones claims Rotten has surrounded himself increasingly with people who enable his most childish behavior. His views are largely based on his claim that reduced juvenile mortality, decreasing age of fathers, and decreased geographical isolation of populations in Western societies reduce evolution. Both the data supporting these assertions and his views of the way these factors influence evolution in populations have been extensively criticised by other academics. [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] Publications [ edit ]

BBC Radio 4 – The Life Scientific, Steve Jones interviewed Jim Al-Khalili" . Retrieved 13 August 2012. National Life Stories, 'Jones, Steve (1 of 6) National Life Stories Collection: Science and Religion', The British Library Board, 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2017 Steve Jones has the distinction of being the only author I've reviewed on Goodreads who called me "candy ass" in a message via MySpace when I was 16 or 17. It's a notable distinction. The synopsis for Call Time reads: “Bob Bloomfield is, in the words of his best friend's wife, a 'selfish, arrogant a*sehole', who hasn't spent a great deal of time making friends in his 49 years on earth. But what if he could change? What if Bob could stop the very thing that has made him the man he is, the death of his younger brother, Tom in 1986. If he could save Tom, could he save himself? And what if all it took was a phone call - to his childhood self?”Jones, Steve (26 January 2017). Evolution. illus. Rowan Clifford. London: Ladybird Books. ISBN 978-0-7181-8628-9. Firstly I have to give him credit for his honesty. This really is a warts and all account of his life, he brings everything to the table, from his unhappy childhood, the sexual abuse he suffered as a young boy, his criminality which led to spells in Borstal and Prison, sex addiction, drug addiction, alcoholism... it's an uncomfortable read in places but fascinating. Happily he survived the bedlam and is 25 years+ sober and is now seemingly a happy and reasonably contented person. He didn’t have any feelings about his death—or about anything at the time. When a reporter rang him up about his response to Sid’s demise, Jones answered, “Well, at least we’ll sell some records now.” Sid Vicious. Wikimedia Creative Commons He also says there was a bigger picture to the story he was trying to tell. "I thought I'd always be second fiddle in the Sex Pistols story because of the image of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious. But I wanted people to know the truth about how the band started and how it all came about, and I just want my two cents out there." I think Steve Jones has the important distinction of not only having made me feel very uncomfortable on MySpace as a teenager, but also writing probably the most honest and least self-serving book of the three. Also, just as importantly, it's the most fun to read.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment