276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Orphans of the Storm: Celia Imrie

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Robespierre and Forget-not send Henriette and her lover, the Chevalier de Vaudrey, to the guillotine, for hiding de Vaudrey, an aristocrat, who returned to Paris to find her. However, Danton manages to obtain a pardon for them. After a race through the streets of Paris he just manages to save Henriette and offers her to the Chevalier, when the two orphans unite. A doctor restores Louise's sight, she approves marriage between Henriette and the Chevalier, and a better-organized Republic forms in France. Honestly, I got through 50% of the book before I just lost interest in how the dialogue was so wonky. Mostly due to the modern turn of phrases being "supposedly" used in 1910s France. Oh, for example, when Micheal calls Marcella a "drama queen" or when Micheal makes reference to Disney's version of Snow White to Marcella "did an old woman with a spinning wheel and apple...." and just a bunch of other likewise things sprinkled throughout...l O’Dell, 1970 p. 132-135: Griffith: “...we must exercise care not to exchange our good government of Bolshevism and license.”

I am quite surprised that my interest was held throughout as the story does not appear to contain enough substance to fill a fairly lengthy book. It is to the author’s credit that she has managed to produce just that. The storyline itself was good but not great, and the characters themselves were well developed, presumably in line with the information that was available about them from 1912 when their story hit the headlines.

You might also like

We can gather from the title that Lolo and Monmon were onboard the RMS Titanic and was orphaned by the sinking of the majestic ship. I don't want to give away too many details about the time spent onboard the RMS Titanic, but what I can say is this is where Margaret Bechstein crosses the paths of Lolo and Monmon. Through her selfless act, the toddlers were given a second chance. Told from Marcella, Michael and Margaret's POV, the reader is swept up in the toxic marriage of Michael and Marcella, caught up in the exhilarating boarding of the Titanic and left desolate after the vivid descriptions of the ship descending into the darkness leaving two small boys to the fate of strangers. In this case, a stranger who only had their best interests at heart. A deeply poignant and heart wrenching tale based, not only on real life events but real people, too—albeit fictional versions. Set both in Nice, France and on board the doomed maiden voyage of the Titanic. When I started reading this book by Celia Imrie I had no idea that it was written by the great actress Celia Imrie but was enjoying the story and her writing style. She is certainly a very talented lady. I did not remember that the the "Orphans of the Storm" had a link to the Titanic, even though there is a picture of the shiip on the cover. I kept wondering about the significance of the the title (a game I play with myself with each book I read). It was about three quarters through that it became very clear that the story took us through the sailing and sinking of the Titanic and the rescue of some of the people on her. The New York Times wrote: "As the vivid scenes of the historically colored melodrama flashed one after another on the screen everyone surely felt that Griffith was himself again" but added "The seasoned spectator, no matter how he may let himself go, knows that every delay is a device to heighten the suspense and every advantage given the rescuers is calculated to evoke his cheers (...) whatever he does, he is not surprised when the girl is saved". [12]

The historical research that Celia and Fidelis carried out to enable this story to be written is fascinating and the section about this work at the end of the novel is definitely worth reading. I have discovered online that the two ladies are speaking about the novel and the research behind it at Older pets are relaxing to hang out with. Senior dogs and cats have all the basics down and aren't full of wild energy to burn. Because you're not constantly chasing around or cleaning up after your older pet, you have a lot more time to spend finding fun things to do or just relaxing together.Orphans of the Storm offers the Golden Buddies Program to match senior pets (6+ years-old) with senior citizens (65+ years-old.)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment