276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Foresight Pease Pudding, 410 g

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In medieval times poor families would only have one pot or kettle for cooking in. Everything edible would go into the pot including beans, grains, peas and occasionally meat. This would make a stew or pottage which could last for days. Pease pudding began as medieval pease pottage and is now commonly found across North East England. Why is it called pease pudding? Every good Geordie will have eaten it at some point in his or her life (if you’re a Geordie reading this and haven’t then sort yourself out), and most of us eat as much as we can. It’s the kind of thing that your Grandma always has in her fridge. And the kind of thing that all the local butchers sell in big slabs, like an upturned terrine. Usually, they’ll cut a bit off and give it to you in a bag or plastic tub. Spoon the pea mixture into the centre of a piece of muslin. Tie the ends tightly with kitchen string just above the peas, allowing a little room for expansion.

Heat 25g/1oz of the butter in a heavy-based frying pan and cook the onion, thyme and bay leaf very gently for 15 minutes, or until softened and only just beginning to colour. Stir regularly. This is a classic British Pease Pudding recipe. An easy, side dish made with yellow split peas that are cooked with vegetables and smoked ham. Typically served on a ham sandwich, or as a side to a meat dish. What is Pease Pudding?

New customer?

In mum's original recipe above, she doesn't add the onion, but I remember her adding an onion to the water, and then mashing it up with the pease pudding sometimes. The song " Food, Glorious Food" from the 1960s West End and Broadway musical (and 1968 film) Oliver! has a lyric extolling pease pudding. If you need to speed up the process a little, you can also pop the pease pudding into the microwave and use a defrost setting. Don’t forget to stir it now and then to ensure it thaws out fully. In The Princess and the Goblin, Curdie takes bread and pease pudding with him for sustenance when he goes to spy on the King's house.

Pease in the middle English word for pea. The name Pease pudding refers to a type of porridge made from peas. It was not made from fresh peas but dried split peas which keep well all year round. The addition of water, spices and a ham or bacon joint turn the peas into pease pudding. Add the split peas to a bowl and cover with water, make sure they are well covered. Leave overnight, or 8 hours to soak at room temperature. So go ahead and freeze your pease pudding and enjoy this delicious dish whenever you fancy a hearty meal. Related FAQsCook the dish slowly, the cooking time depends on the freshness of the peas. It can take anything from ninety minutes to two hours. Origins of Pease Pudding The ham shank is only used to flavor the broth. Once you have used it, you can save it to use the ham for Ham & Split Pea Soup. Pease pudding, also known as pease porridge, is a savoury pudding dish made of boiled legumes, [1] typically split yellow peas, with water, salt and spices, and often cooked with a bacon or ham joint. A common dish in the north-east of England, it is consumed to a lesser extent in the rest of Britain, as well as in other regions worldwide.

We had home made peas pudding at least once a week as children, we all loved it. Over the years I did try to replicate my mums, but it didn't happen. You could not eat mine, however you could have used it as wallpaper paste. The best method to defrost pease pudding is to pop it into a bowl and put it in the fridge overnight. By the next day, it should be completely defrosted and ready to heat up. McElhatton, Heather (13 October 2009). Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel. Harper Collins. p. 357. ISBN 9780061857027.Some recipes don’t call for the use of ham broth to cook the split peas, including my own mothers. Cooking it this way gives a great depth of flavor and once you try it this way, I think you’ll prefer it too. Pease pudding is also known as Pease pottage or Pease porridge. The invention of a pudding cloth made it easy to cook a joint of ham and the dried split peas together. This is probably why it became known as Pease pudding.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment