276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Vision of Loveliness

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Levene has a pitch-perfect ear for dialogue, and while her two young heroines are vain, materialistic and manipulative, she deftly illuminates the psyche of this era – when women who wanted to "better themselves" had to make themselves appealing to men, married or otherwise.

I’m well aware that no moment is ever exactly duplicated so one must drink it in as a once-in-a-lifetime treasure. Blogging is a natural outgrowth of my love of connecting with others beyond my newspaper columns (found at trib.For me it’s easy to describe these autumn-joy foliage hues as delicious foods; apple red, cranberry, eggplant, beet, carrot, pumpkin, apricot, yellow squash, lemon, lime, and dark zucchini.

In no time, she is a polished, preening 1950s Wag-equivalent (or, as some might more indelicately put it, a high-class tart). Jane James knows that she must have been born to better things than a dingy bedroom in her Aunt Doreen's house in Norbury and evenings spent eating gala pie and Heinz tinned potato salad in their 'sitting-cum-dining room'. I am hoping women value themselves more today, but I'm sure that some still allow men to treat them in this way. Some years, early deep frosts nip instantly, transforming autumn to dismal blacks and browns long before we’ve soaked in our fill of loveliness.

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English a vision of beauty/loveliness etc a vision of beauty/loveliness etc literary someone who is very beautiful → vision Examples from the Corpus a vision of beauty/loveliness etc • In that dream he saw a vision of loveliness: himself as Foreign Secretary. Picked this up for my daughter - it sounded good on the back blurb but apparently is a rip off of Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood. A darkly comic novel that reveals the seedy underbelly of London in the 1960s, rich with period detail, we follow a young woman, Jane ‘Janey’ James’ rise through the social ranks of her peculiar world. When she finds a crocodile handbag left in a pub, it leads her to Suzy St John, a girl-about-town with the glamour, the confidence and the irresistible allure that Jane has been practising for so long.

I took a chance on it after seeing a review in one of the Emerald Street newsletters from some time ago. Interesting story but the narrator perspective changed randomly in places which was somewhat unsettling. I would have given it five stars but the ending felt a bit rushed which is a shame as it was a delightful read. The only one to find string-free happiness is Doreen, Jane’s extraordinarily sour, slovenly aunt – 'Reen’ goes rather merrily mad, with an eye to the social niceties she used to shun and a hand 'down the front of her yellow, lacy, nylon knickers’. The deep stark shadows of hills and plateaus contrasted with dried blowing grasses like a mist in the low spots – all with glowing golden trees in the creek bottoms under a changing pastel sky.The main character is witty if no articulately loveable, the account of her life is satirical and realistic in a very cynical way, and the tragic ending brought an unexpected twist. I see in her, an octogenarian of waning years, with profound wisdom, gratitude born of faith, and simplicity so worthy of embracing – giving deeper meaning to Gramma’s vision of loveliness. What follows is an entertaining and dark story of girls about town living on next to nothing in borrowed flats and trying to get as many meals paid for by other people as possible – bearing in mind that they have to eat very little to maintain their svelte figures.

Read more about the condition New: A new, unread, unused book in perfect condition with no missing or damaged pages.Parts of Nettle Buttress, Chee Tor East, and Dogs Dinner area are bolt free areas of outstanding appearance. By completing your purchase, you agree to Audible's Conditions of Use and authorise Audible to charge your designated card or any other card on file. Read the (slightly misleading/possibly more morally hopeful than the tale itself) background information/blurb from the book here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment