276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Wild Card: The captivating, uplifting and addictive summer read you don’t want to miss in 2023!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But after a wild card entry to Wimbledon, she suddenly finds herself swept up in a world she thought she'd left behind - and against all odds, she's winning!

Judy Murray - The Wild Card - Eventbrite Judy Murray - The Wild Card - Eventbrite

The OU offers sport and fitness courses and qualifications, such as the modules 'Working with people in sport and fitness' and 'Sport and exercise psychology in action', and a BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching, along with a wide range of free courses and articles available through OpenLearn. The Wild Card is a "fresh, uplifting" story about how it is never too late to follow your dreams, following Abigail Patterson who, after putting her tennis career on hold, finds herself entered into the country’s biggest tennis championship as a wild card entry. I was very impressed how Murray narrated the tennis matches in the story; not overdoing it but not undergoing it either. She became Scottish National Coach in 1995, the same year that she became the first woman to pass the Lawn Tennis Association's Performance Coach Award.Charlotte Mursell, editorial director, acquired world all language rights from Kerr MacRae at Kerr MacRae LPA. Share Make a wild Christmas wreath or table decoration at the Wild Cat Wilderness with your friends. Judy Murray discusses her debut novel, The Wild Card, an uplifting story about how it's never too late to follow your dreams: Abigail Patterson puts her promising tennis career on hold to have a baby. Full of twists, turns, (and tennis), The Wild Card is a brilliantly feel-good tale of second chances and chasing forgotten dreams.

Judy Murray Orion Fiction lands two-book deal with Judy Murray

Judy is one of the most inspirational people I have met, a natural storyteller and has lived a life full of new experiences and achievements," said MacRae. Twenty years ago, Abigail Patterson put her promising tennis career on hold to have her baby son, Robbie. But Abby has been concealing secrets her whole adult life and the last thing she wants is to be under such scrutiny, or for her past to be probed into quite so ruthlessly. Judy Murray is a former Scottish international tennis player and has 64 national titles to her name.Abby is a great heroine, strong, flawed and likeable and very real, and the two timeline story zips along like a perfect serve (couldn't resist! Emma Radacanu won a grand slam from a wild card entry), the details feel very realistic and this must come from Judy’s vast experience in the sport. I did enjoy the story, even if you could see what was coming a mile off, I think tighter writing could have kept that a bit more hidden. Alongside her tennis and coaching achievements, Judy was a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing in 2014, a Costa Book Award judge in 2021 and made her debut at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2022. Judy has developed several initiatives including Miss-Hits - a fun starter tennis programme for girls age 5-8 and Tennis on the Road - a mobile outreach programme which takes tennis into areas of Scotland where the sport doesn't exist.

The Wild Card by Judy Murray | Goodreads The Wild Card by Judy Murray | Goodreads

I’m not at home that often, because I’m all over the place, but if I am I’ll go back and have breakfast. Judy is a powerful voice in the battle for equality of opportunity for women in sport and was awarded an OBE for services to tennis, women in sport and charity. I change into my golf gear and go down to the driving range, where I’ll hit two buckets of balls, and if the weather’s good I’ll go out and play nine holes. I like to go by myself – one of things I love about golf, as opposed to tennis, is that I can go out on my own whenever I want. Positives - a lovely insight to behind the scenes of the Wimbledon location itself, the changing rooms and players spaces, Abi as the main character was ‘nice’ and you did root for her yet I couldn’t help feel she could’ve been more impactful.It was predictable from beginning to end, which can be okay in a book like this if the writing is great - unfortunately, it’s not. I liked the way it dealt with the power relationship between coaches and pupils but felt a bit like the coach still got away with it. This is the tennis book I have been wanting to read all my tennis-obsessed bookworm life - and it was absolutely worth the wait.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment