276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Triton 1100W Thicknesser 317mm TPT125 (583534)

£80.995£161.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you have any volume of work to do, this will pay for itself RAPIDLY in terms of time and cost savings. Im very impressed with the quality of the machine as well as its performance, for the very reasonable price. We tested how much material would be ‘lost’ to snipe. We had already adjusted each planer’s tables to be flat, and level to the planer bed, prior to the snipe test.

The feeder entrance is very tightly and well matched to the cutting blade height. What can JUST squeeze in, will just get planed. You never remove too much surface material once you are accustomed to its behaviour and performance, the machine is predictable in that sense (in a good way) and consistent. Remove them and search YouTube where you'll find a simple video on how to sharpen the blades yourself (easy!). What’s interesting about this data is how well the snipe length correlates to the distance of the rollers inside the planers from the cutting heads. The length of snipe on all the models we tested nearly mimic this distance. The nice thing here is the snipe should be predictable for each model and allow users to plan accordingly. Users of the DEWALT DW735X will ultimately “waste” more material over the life of the planer. However, with all the planers having relatively the same amount of snipe we’re not ranking this category either but rather letting you see how they all compared. The machine itself about as noisy as a table saw when spinning by itself, but the cutting noise is perhaps less noisy, less shrill than a table saw when planing. The total noise volume is significant though, in the same league as a table saw at work. i.e. Noisy! Protect your ear drums and use ear defenders. Its very nice to be able to pull rough timber from a skip and have it transformed into perfect planking which looks both shop bought and also new, in just a few minutes with a couple of passes. The machine holds planks steady when they are fed in edge ways, too, so all sides of planking can be worked on all sides.Planers can also tear out small chunks (scallops) from the surface. Between the milling marks and scallops the board could require more or less sanding to create a finished surface that will take paint, stain or clear finish well. What it won't do is square up wood that was cut on an angle (or a deliberate mitre or slant) like a parallelogram. If the face you feed into the machine has a continuous and uniform angle cut into it, it will level the face but maintain the angle.

I have just looked at your planer review and I did not see any tests for cutterhead “paralleladigitty” or dust collection compatibility and performance. I have owned “portable” planers over my 40 years in the trade. Several 12-1/2″ Delta’s, easy portability. A P12(as I remember)Hitachi, the real deal! Two Ridgid’s, the current model returned when the warrantee repair center couldn’t understand that the cutterhead MUST be parallel. In addition, the earliest versions’ dust evacuation fan did not require any dust collector. The most current offering NEEDS a dust collector?! I still had my previous version which I have returned to.Pre-Test Inspection and Adjustment– We looked at how level the infeed and outfeed tables were, we adjusted them, and noted how easy or difficult the process was. This machine has a maximum cutting width of 150 mm, and to help you deal with odd-shaped pieces of wood or even plastics, there’s a detachable fence on the side of the table. This can be angled anywhere between 90° and 135°, depending on the job at hand. The 31.5cm max width has a curved input around the entry edges. What this means is that if you insert a long plank slightly skew, the curved edges will slowly push the wood straight if the wood being planed is put in at an angle. Another nice touch, it self straightens your product. Also, very long and unintentionally twisted planking will come out at the same angle it goes in at. The inner chamber is less than a foot long and the front and rear ends of planking, if twisted, won't self straighten. Only the centre foot or so is steadied and planed level. A twist in a plank may be by several degrees, but that twist may exist over several feet. You need a manual hand plane to eliminate that. We did rank this category as it’s a great way to evaluate the power of the planers. The top three included the DEWALT 735X, Triton TPT125 and the Delta 22-590. Maximum Depth of Cut Performance

Loaded up with a big 1,800 Watt motor, the blades spin to an impressive 12,000 rpm. This fast-moving planer can take off up to 3 mm of material per pass, and each blade is double-sided, so you get twice the life out of them. The integrated dust collection port is ideally placed too. Im thrilled with the build quality of this capable machine. The essential bits that sandwich wood, like the machine head element and base of feed plate are strong, heavy and robust (metal). The plastic housing is very much a non-issue as far as strength and performance goes and helps keep the price down without sacrificing performance.You should also wear a dust mask, safety goggles and ear defenders when using your planer. Never wear loose clothing, such as ties, scarves or jewellery, when using the machine as these can get caught in the rollers. Most of the planers utilize a bolt to adjust the table vertically with a captured nut to hold the adjustment bolt in place. All of the units had a similar table adjustment but one. We were very impressed with the Makita planer and its setscrew adjustment. The Makita machine had, by far, the easiest adjustment method of all of the planers. The four setscrews were easy to reach and we found it easy to dial in the proper adjustments. So far the finished face of the timber has been flawless, I note that some revies say you have to waste the first and last couple of inches of timber timber due to "snipe" I have found that by adjusting the feed plate slightly, feeding the timber flat on the feed plate and on longer pieces have a support, ideally a Triton Multi Support Stand, the problem is eradicated. Sporting a 1,250 Watt motor that spins the blades up to 8,000 rpm, this Scheppach planer is more suited to small pieces of wood. With a maximum cutting width of just 204 mm and a height of 120 mm, it’s not the best in its class, but it’s enough for most DIYers. I'm giving 4 out 5 stars, just for the fact I had to return my old device and wait on a replacement. The replacement was at my house, in less than a week.

As you can see above the times required to change the blades on the planers varied from just over 11 minutes to just over 25 minutes. The reality is a user might change blades once or twice a year (twice would be heavy use) so the difference from 11 to 25 doesn’t seem enough to warrant why you might buy one over another model. Therefore we’re not going to rank this category, simply share the data so you can see that blade changes are not overly complicated. The sheer volume of shavings (I mention this just in passing) is like other planers - i.e. substantial. You'll have unlimited free pet bed shavings or material for the meat smoker, for life. (Just be sure not to use the kiln dried treated nor green-stained timbers in either case). Since I've received my new planer, I've had the opportunity to use it. It's a delight to use. I was pleasantly surprised that the noise level was lower than anticipated. The machine cuts very smooth and clean, only light sanding needed for a final finish. While I was hesitant to buy a machine that I couldn't find a review on, I'm onboard. Triton has a new customer and I've become very confident in not only their product, but their fantastic US customer support. British tool brand Silverline have been around since 1978 and are well known for their budget-friendly kit. Their take on the best bench planer for woodworking is their 344944 planer. It’s a solid and simple machine that gets the job done if you don’t want to splash the cash too much.Above you can see a graphic showing the ratio of the no-load feed rate compared to the average loaded feed rate (average feed rate for the materials we planed). This just gives a good relative comparison of how the motors performed under load. The DEWALT 735X and the Triton TPT125 were able to keep the feed rate much closer to the no-load rate compared to the rest of the field. I did have a lot of difficulty in removing and inspecting the blades as the retaining screws were so tight that the tool that is supposed to open them got damaged at the tip. Finally had to get the dealer to help loosen the screws with better equipment. I have reassembled the blades and now can remove them easily for sharpening or replacement. It is a great machine and well worth the money paid for it. It looks and feels solid and strong. Glad I got this unit. While all the planers produced a “smooth” finish to the touch, there was quite a variation of smoothness resulting from the milling marks and scallops. The DEWALT DW735X was by far the best finish of all the samples we planed. The amplitude of the milling marks was consistently smaller and there was very little “scalloping” of the surface compared to all the other planers. This is likely attributed to the powerful motor and excellent blades. In addition, the 735 has three blades in the cutter head. Coming in 2nd place was the Triton TPT125 followed by the Ridgid R4331 in third place. Both the Triton and Ridgid had similar results. Coming in 4th was the Delta 22-590 with minimal milling marks but noticeably more scalloping. Blade Change Evaluation

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment