276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mortality

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

He was the best company in the whole world; he had read widely and because he was an industrious man and filled with curiosity, he hoped to read much more. I had the time to wonder why they needed so many boots and helmets and so much heavy backup equipment, but now that I view the scene in retrospect I see it as a very gentle and firm deportation, taking me from the country of the well across the stark frontier that marks off the land of malady. A loss to the literary world, and an even bigger loss in the pursuit of fact over fiction, and the end of corruption and greed.

It is, however, sobering and grief-inducing to read this brave and harrowing account of his "year of living dyingly" in the grip of the alien that succeeded where none of his debate opponents had in bringing him down. I dropped by his apartment in Washington late one evening about five or six years ago to find him alone. You’ll explore what it feels like to be confronted with one’s mortality, how to handle severe pain and how cancer affects the body and mind. He discovered that the ability to express yourself verbally is such an integral part of the human experience that it is extremely painful to exist without that capability. In this moving personal account of illness, Hitchens confronts his own death - and he is combative and dignified, eloquent and witty to the very last.

The first seven chapters are, like virtually everything [Hitchens] wrote over his long, distinguished career, diamond-hard and brilliant. You are forced to listen to others forever, while being unable to contribute anything to the conversation. With almost unimaginable clarity, grace and wit, even for the master wordsmith we had grown used to. My very short-lived campaign of denial took this form: I would not cancel these appearances or let down my friends or miss the chance of selling a stack of books. His life, rather than his career, was reading and writing, two of the only things at which he claimed he was any good.

It’s just a “coincidence” [that] out of any part of his body, Christopher Hitchens got cancer in the one part of his body he used for blasphemy? This book is a stimulating appraisal of the impact, in medieval insular contexts, of an international idea of great longevity and significance, and makes an important contribution to the study of death, belief, and society in pre-modern Europe. I am a member of a cancer elite,” says Christopher Hitchens on 60 Minutes , curling the corner of his lips with his trademark charm, rousing his interviewer to laughter, “I’d rather look down on people with lesser cancers. Pastor Wilson responded that when he heard the news he prayed for three things: that I would fight off the disease, that I would make myself right with eternity, and that the process would bring the two of us back into contact.The book's power lies in its simplicity, in its straightforward, intelligent documenting, its startling refusal of showiness or melodrama or grandeur. It’s only when we are confronted with something truly life-altering — like a terminal diagnosis — that we genuinely begin to consider the fleeting nature of our lives. Corvus Atlantic’s commercial fiction list which includes women’s, historical, romance, sci-fi, crime and thriller. But, as I knew before I became ill, there are some people for whom this explanation is unsatisfying. But on the side of my continued life is a group of brilliant and selfless physicians plus an astonishing number of prayer groups.

Although Rebecca passed away in 2016, her book remains a euphoric, moving story of facing death and learning to live again. By turns personal and philosophical, Hitchens embraces the full panoply of human emotions as cancer invades his body and compels him to grapple with the enigma of death. As expected, and with the most admirable fluidity of language, he highlights the absurdity in opposing arguments with charm and a contextual tour of historical thought. The religious prayed for him, even designating September 20, 2010, as ‘Everybody Pray for Hitchens Day’.He never asked himself if he was wrong to be an atheist or if he should make a last-minute profession of faith. It comprises seven essays which first appeared in Vanity Fair concerning his struggle with esophageal cancer, with which he was diagnosed during his 2010 book tour [1] and which killed him in December 2011. Christopher Hitchens began his memoir, “Hitch-22,” on a note of grim amusement at finding himself described in a British National Portrait Gallery publication as “the late Christopher Hitchens. This small volume contains an admirably terse chapter informing fundamentalists that the argument about evolution is over, mainly because there is no argument.

In the year between this event and his death in December 2011, Hitchen’s explored, at length, the question: How does living feel when you know the end is so near? Sunday Times 2012 Books of The Year Mail on Sunday's 2012 Books of The Year Independent's 2012 Books of The Year The Times 2012 Books of The Year During the US book tour for his memoir, Hitch-22, Christopher Hitchens collapsed in his New York hotel room to excoriating pain in his chest and thorax.Kenneth Rooney’s book explores a wider range of texts and genres than has been attempted before, and reads the vernacular representation of the dead against the impact of one of the most intriguing cultural phenomena of the Middle Ages — the macabre — a rhetorical and artistic idiom designed to evoke the dead at their most horrifying. The alien was burrowing into me even as I wrote the jaunty words about my own prematurely announced death. There have been many books on the medieval culture of death, but this book is the first devoted to the use and representation of the dead in English medieval writing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment