276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Neuroscientist Who Lost Her Mind: A Memoir of Madness and Recovery

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We are not sure, still, why it worked, but we believe that all the drugs worked in concert,” she says, adding that similar trials are being conducted now with other patients, and that brain surgeons the world over are keen to learn the results. Competing again

Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor- Harvard trained brain scientist who suffers from a stroke and then writes about it

Grateful

The scientist knew, however, that she wasn't cured, and that new tumors were likely to appear. Lipska decided that her best chance of survival lay with an experimental immunotherapy procedure, which primes the body's immune system to recognize and destroy cancer cells. Lipska got into an immunotherapy clinical trial at Georgetown University Hospital, and was periodically infused with powerful antibody drugs over a period of months.

Lipska’s personal experience transformed the way she thinks about mental health and mental illness, as she writes in her book. For most of her adult life, she was an energetic, determined, ambitious researcher, devoted to her work, family, and running marathons. But after she was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2015 and began taking medications to deal with the illness, she became someone else—and not someone she liked. “I was completely disinhibited.” Book Genre: Autobiography, Biography, Biology, Health, Medical, Medicine, Memoir, Mental Health, Neuroscience, Nonfiction, Psychology, Science Personalitatea fiecărui om este rezultatul unor interacțiuni complexe între factori nenumărați care influențează funcționarea creierului." Very rarely do I get upset at anything I read. I did for some judgments made on this book by other reviewers. I wish I had not read them at all. Somehow I want to believe that people can be non-judgmental, tolerant. And see more than a class or an identity or ethnicity or a skin color.

An even shorter fuse

We have these thoughts about behaving properly — not yelling at our families and the loved ones. But I lost it. And I didn't realize it.

First, I think the book would have been much better with more collateral information from others (family, physicians, physical therapists she interacted with) about all these different episodes during which the author was acting bizarre. It was hard to trust the author as the narrator of these stories because she's, well, literally brain-damaged.AMANDA RIPLEY, New York Times bestselling author of The Smartest Kids in the World and The Unthinkable After initial surgery, her treatment consisted of, first, targeted radiotherapy aimed at damaging the small tumors before her treating physician administered an immunotherapy agent to help her body’s immune system seek and destroy the damaged and vulnerable tumor cells. The immunotherapy protocol was available to Lipska through her enrollment in a clinical trial. An advance digital copy was provided by NetGalley and author Barbara K. Lipska for my honest review. This is one strong lady used to being in charge and when her brain started acting off, her family really didn't know how to react, and she didn't realize it's happening, so it's a real mess for a while because no one wants to take the reins from her or tell her she's not in charge anymore. Barbara Lipska is the director of the Human Brain Bank at the National Institute of Mental Health in Washington, D.C. An internationally recognized researcher in human brain development and mental illness, Dr. Lipska has a doctorate in Medical Sciences from the Medical School of Warsaw.

Generally Lipska’s husband, children, and grandchildren are presented quite stereotypically in her book. Her grandsons are adorable; her son, tall and handsome; and her daughter is beautiful and intelligent. I found myself occasionally wondering how Lipska, clearly a high-achieving Type-A personality, would manage if she had to describe children who were not athletic high achievers like herself. I also wondered what the descriptions of family might have been like if they'd been written by a writer other than McArdle--one more sensitive to language and nuance, who could tease compelling details out of her subject.That Lipska didn’t die is remarkable enough in itself. More remarkable still is that she lived to write a compelling account of her experiences in her memoir The Neuroscientist Who Lost Her Mind: A Memoir of Madness and Recovery. It is the reference to “madness” that makes the book so very vivid because, before getting better, Lipska would indeed lose her grasp on her mental health. Three decades of having studied the maladaptive brain in others did little to prepare her for her own descent into, as she puts it, “crazy”. Este o experiență extraordinară să-ți dai seama că tot ce ține de o ființă umană îți poate sta în palme." I really enjoy books about neuroscience and the brain. I think the book that really turned me on to the subject matter was Brain on Fire. Like that book, I read this one in two sittings, and I'm pretty sure it would have been one had it not been for life getting in the way. I really enjoyed the way Lipska was able to write about how she experienced her "insanity" from the angles of both the patient and the scientist (although I have a quibble about the author's perception of "madness" and feel the title of this book is misleading). I hadn't realized what parts of our brain do what, and the ripple effect irregularities can have on cognitive functions! We are wonderfully made!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment