276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It held close to the original script although there were changes, the most obvious being the depiction on camera of the raid, which happens off-stage in the theatre production. Instead of writing a play that is about the combat, Sherriff chose to focus on the men and their feelings. Journey’s End is a play with fantastic dialogue that quickly establishes firm relationships between audience and character, in a performance that builds throughout to a climactic, heart-wrenching finale. Ben also encapsulates the drawbacks of the National Bus Company’s centralised structure introduced towards the end of the 1960s and just to prove nothing is new looks at the issues of central versus local decision making. Stanhope is the commander and I don't blame him for drinking too much because 90% of the commanders (in France and Britain) were drunk almost everyday.

I had never heard of this classic, until I spotted it in a book sale, I enjoyed the premise, and I thought I'd give it a chance. The spine is faded, and there is tanning to the untrimmed page edges but otherwise this copy is in strong readable condition.At the start of world war 1 there appeared to be no shortage of young men following the advice from Lord Kitchener.

this isn't one of them and when combined with the fact that it was based on the author's own experiences it's a very impressive piece of work. She doesn't know that if I went up those steps into the front line – without being doped with whisky – I'd go mad with fright. Lost from the BBC archives for over 40 years, these rediscovered episodes are presented for the very.So yes, you've heard this story before and, yes, you know where it is going but there is no denying the power of a play that was written by a man who experienced this monstrous war first hand; who knew, intimately, the claustrophobia, the intolerable waiting, the sudden burst of action and the catastrophic consequences for the living and the dead. Set in the First World War, "Journey's End" concerns a group of British officers on the front line and opens in a dugout in the trenches in France.

But I love the theatre and I’ve wanted to read Journey’s End for a while now because I’ve heard it was beautiful and tragic. The impact of major societal changes during the ‘roaring twenties’ and the ‘swinging sixties’ as well as the Second World War are described, as are changes to the working week, the move from agricultural based employment to manufacturing to service industries. The newest arrival, Raleigh, knew Stanhope at school (where he was ‘skipper of rugger at Barford, and kept wicket for the eleven’); he has pulled strings to be in his boyhood hero's company, and through him we see the changes that a year on the Western Front has wrought on Stanhope.

He shows how this increasingly led to a mismatch between demand changing in the sixties and the way it was provided for (or not).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment