276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Chestnut Man

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This crime novel is the first one that reminded me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Even if their stories are totally different, I recognized the similar dark atmosphere. Naia Thulin, a female detective trying to change departments within the Danish police force to spend more family time with her daughter Le, cannot catch a break as she is tasked with the investigation of a grisly murder scene, involving a brutally beaten woman in a playground, and a chestnut figurine, seemingly left behind by the killer as their signature. Netflix's Scandi noir series The Chestnut Man, also titled Kastanjemanden, follows detectives Naia Thulin (Danica Curcic) and Mark Hess (Mikkel Boe Følsgaard) who have teamed up to try and get to the bottom of a grisly mystery: there's a serial killer on the loose, who leaves behind eerie models of people made out of chestnuts (hence the name). Hess theorized that the chestnut man has no arms and legs, and thus in the upcoming murders, he would be amputating the victim’s hands and leg. Hence, they needed to act fast. With the help of a children’s doctor, Hess recovered an anonymous report filed to social services regarding Laura Kjaer. She was accused of being a “selfish mother” who was ignorant of her children’s well-being. A similar report was found against Anne Sejer Lassen for being an ignorant mother.

I wish I could see more parts of Thulin and Hess come together, getting rid of the hostility and disconnection weaken their performances to organize as colleagues and friends, taking out their boxing gloves and settling their differences. I wanted to see them work as a real team, more love-hate relationship. But they didn’t team up till the end and they continue their own personal investigations, they didn’t share much about their findings which put them more dangerous situations. But I think a sequel is coming and at the next book we’re gonna see more connection and bounding relationship between them. But Now I Must Go: After the case is resolved, Hess must leave to his next assignment in Bucharest. Orum and his wife ill-treated the twins and abused them. This probably led to Toke killing them. He thus grew up to become a psychopathic killer. He also changed his name to Simon Genz and became the forensic expert at the police department.

Need Help?

Scott, Sheena. " 'The Chestnut Man': Chilling New Nordic Noir Series on Netflix". Forbes . Retrieved 1 October 2021. Miska, Brad (7 September 2021). " "The Chestnut Man": Netflix Summons New Horror Series September 29th [Images]". Bloody Disgusting! . Retrieved 8 September 2021. Women are disappearing. When their battered and mutilated bodies are discovered, a chestnut man, a type of handmade doll, is always located at the grisly crime scenes. The mother of the little girl that went missing is politician Rosa Hartung, Minister for Social Affairs who has just returned to work after being given time off to grieve. Upon her return, she suddenly begins being threatened by an anonymous person. Rosa Hartung had been very vocal about child abuse and negligence during her political career. Due to her firm policies, many parents lost custody of their children and held Rosa responsible.

Further investigation leads the detectives to find out that both Laura Kjaer and Anne Sejer Lassen were careless, ignorant mothers. The Chestnut Man ( Danish: Kastanjemanden) is a Danish crime series released on Netflix on 29 September 2021. The series was created by Dorte Warnøe Hagh, David Sandreuter, and Mikkel Serup, is directed by Kasper Barfoed and Mikkel Serup, and is based on the book of the same name by Søren Sveistrup. The series stars Danica Curcic and Mikkel Boe Følsgaard as Naia Thulin and Mark Hess, who investigate the murders of several women involving a mysterious chestnut figurine left at the crime scenes. [1] [2] [3] Synopsis [ edit ]TV-anmeldelse "Kastanjemannen": Perfeksjonerte klisjeer" (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. 29 September 2021 . Retrieved 23 October 2021. Thullin is a single mother and a very good detective. She has done the time in the department she is in but she's ready for an upgrade and recently has applied to the cyberunit. I loved Hess's character: quirky and thinks outside the box (as per usual, no-one will listen). More could have been made of him. Among the characters, Detectives Thulin and Hess make an unlikely pair. Thulin is a single mother and a rising star in her police force. Hess is an outsider—from Europol, sent to Copenhagen as punishment for one of his many blunders on the job. A dark brooding Hess is a perfect foil to Thulin’s cool and collected personality. I wish the story had more interactions between the two but hopefully, their story will be continued in future installments. The book has many instances of graphic violence. However, this violence is not at the expense of the story and only advances the story further. Having said that, some of the scenes may be upsetting for some.

To save innocent lives, a pair of detectives must put aside their differences to piece together the Chestnut Man’s gruesome clues. When forensic evidence connects the chestnut men, via a fingerprint, to the missing daughter of a government minister, things really begin to heat up. Unlike Stephen Holder( thanks to US version series introduced us Joel Kinnaman, now he is in every show including Hanna, For All Mankind, Altered Carbon) / or Lennart Brix (Danish character), Hess, stronger and more complex, introvert hero, has troubled past, his new position is a test and last chance for him to prove his ability to work on a case, being a part of a team. He is not a drug addict or divorced like Lennart/Stephen but his past demons and a heart wrenching tragedy he’d endured justifies his changing moods and antisocial manners. I personally think this is one of the best crime books I've ever read and even though it's quite messed up, it's smart and ingenious, and if you're not really used to crime books then the plot twists in this one will blow your mind most definitely. I have not read a ‘Nordic’ thriller is quite some time and got a reminder, right off the bat, of how graphic they can be. The story gets off to a grisly start and then never lets up from start to finish.

The twelve-year-old is presumed dead. Someone confessed to raping and murdering her over a year ago, so how can her fingerprint be there? Sveistrup writes with the kind of confidence that I can only presume must come from creating one of modern crime television’s most iconic shows—his confidence is not only well-earned, but also beautifully utilized in his debut novel. THE CHESTNUT MAN is a bold, brash, big thriller; a crime novel bound to become a Nordic Noir classic. I found Sveistrup's writing to be extremely engaging. It was smart, with twists, turns and red herrings around every corner. As I raced towards the conclusion, I loved how the case pieced itself together. Not all good scriptwriters can produce a detective story designed to be read rather than watched on TV. But Søren Sveistrup, the man responsible for The Killing, proves . . . that it can be done . . . The characters, the plot with its deep, eerie undercurrent of the unknown, and the intense, compelling manipulation of suspense are qualities reminiscent of The Killing Marie Louise Toksvig The action surges along in swinging the spotlight of suspicion around without ever letting the reader feel confident they have the right culprit, and the denouement is intense and very gory Strong Words

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment