276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Animals

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Honest to God, I don't think there is a single frame of this film where there is not wine being poured or drugs being snorted. "You drink with a real sense of mortality", dodgy poet Marty (Dermot Murphy) tells Laura. (This is a great line from scriptwriter Emma Jane Unsworth's script). I can't find what the budget of this film was, but it wouldn't surprise me if 80% of it wasn't spent on bottles of Jacob's Creek. I expected to see a "wine wrangler" listed in the end titles. When Laura falls in love with classical pianist Jim (Fra Fee), a man with “the shoes of an undertaker and the smile of a despot” according to Tyler, a different life is presented to her. Sooner or later, the party has to end, insists Laura’s sensible sister Jean (Amy Molloy). I Arrive First" – The Best British Short Stories 2012 (Salt Publishing, 2012, ISBN 978-1-907773-18-1) I was very interested in the why I was feeling like a failure in my late 20s to early 30s. I was very happy going out and having a good time and enjoying my own life, but a lot of friends were going down the traditional route for women, such as marriage and babies, and I felt this social pressure to conform. Laura, apathetically drifting through her days, theoretically writing a book about a priest who falls in love with a talking pig, finds herself suspended between the two, unable to give either up. Tyler cajoles Laura from one pill to the next wrap of coke to a final bottle of putrid rosé in yet another damp Manchester beer garden, while Jim applies well-judged pressure via late-night texts and quiet warnings about taking care of Laura's fertility, as if in a sort of womb-shared-ownership scheme.

Animals | Stream free on Channel 4 Watch Animals | Stream free on Channel 4

Later, on a trip to London for Tyler's nephew's christening, the two run into Marty, who went to school with Tyler. Claiming her phone is dead, Tyler has Laura exchange numbers with Marty, who later sends her a picture of his erect penis.

On a night out Tyler passes Laura some drugs wrapped in a flyer for a library lecture on W.B. Yeats. Laura goes to the lecture and afterwards talks and flirts with the lecturer, professor Marty Grane. What I haven’t yet done, and what isn’t part of our culture, is to sit down like ex-lovers and agree that we have changed as people and things need to end. ‘Hey, it’s not you, it’s us. I’ll love our love forever, but I don’t enjoy being around you right now.’ We are led to believe that friendships don’t require this. Since nothing physical changes – no one’s sex life comes to a close – the misapprehension is that nothing needs to be stated. But your day-to-day can be massively affected when a friendship fades. Could it be helpful to have a peace treaty? A grown-up agreement? (One that would let us be in the same room together in the future and it not be excruciating.) I have to admit that I really didn't enjoy this film. I'm sure it's technically very strong - with great cinematography and (at times) thoughtful script. But I had absolutely no empathy with any of the characters involved. They were driftless individuals leading vacuous hedonistic lives. I just wanted to shake them by the shoulders and shout in their faces "Are you going to be happy with what you've done in your life on your death bed?"

Animals review – tragicomic ode to growing up disgracefully

The Big Issue in the North: New To Literary Line-Ups". 3 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015 . Retrieved 28 March 2015. Hyde said that it was the book which drew her in and inspired her to make the film, giving voice to women's experiences in a way that she had not seen very often on screen and in a way that felt connected to her own experience. She and Unsworth worked collaboratively from early in the creative process. [3] The film was made in and around Dublin, whereas the book is set in Manchester. [3] Hudson, Kerry (16 May 2014). "Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth review – pills, thrills and bellyaches". The Guardian . Retrieved 29 March 2019. De cualquier forma, el estilo me ha gustado mucho y en la segunda parte la historia mejora bastante y adquiere más niveles de profundidad. It’s the break up that we have no grammar for. There is no set way to deal with that devastation that you’re left with. Or the confusion as you get older and how it gets easier with time.”The Portico Prizes: Shortlist 2012". Archived from the original on 12 February 2015 . Retrieved 28 March 2015. Holliday Grainger and Alia Shawkat star in Sophie Hyde's Animals" (PDF). 22 March 2018 . Retrieved 3 April 2019. - official media release. I weep effortlessly as I’m talking. I shake my head. I can’t say more. She nods again and looks sad for me.

Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth | Waterstones

In 2023 Unsworth was the showrunner for the Sky Atlantic series Dreamland, starring Lily Allen and Freema Agyeman. Animals is narrated by Laura. She lives in Manchester, England, with her American best friend Tyler. Laura and Tyler have been partners in crime for ten years, drinking liberally and doing lots of drugs. The two women love to party and exist in an insular world of just the two of them. Except now Laura is in her early thirties, working a job she hates while writing a novel that's going nowhere. A bright spot in her life is her fiancé Jim. But Tyler sees Laura's impending marriage as a betrayal of all they stand for. And with Jim disapproving of their hard partying ways, Laura is unsure of what she really wants. Of course I do want to get better, for me,” I say. “But not to be more pleasing and palatable, you understand?” I am good at this creative, self-destructive shit. I stop myself. I am not here to be liked. I am not here to fit in. Besides, knowing me, this is some kind of elaborate procrastination to stop me tending to the matter in hand.Laura and Tyler are two women immersed in a mutually-assured-destructive and highly co-dependent relationship with each other fuelled by a zealous love for alcohol, hard drugs and late-night raucous adventures. Best friends Laura, a struggling writer working as a barista, and her best friend and flatmate Tyler, an American woman who is estranged from her family, are both heavy partiers living in Dublin. The early part of the film shows their close friendship in their late twenties as they consume large quantities of wine and drugs through the night, sometimes engaging in casual sex with a man but mostly just enjoying each other's company. This unexpectedly wonderful (and please note extremely vulgar) novel is being bandied around as “Withnail with girls”. That’s the quote on the front. For those who do not know the cult 1987 British movie Withnail and I you should know that Withnail, a skeletal out of work actor, exists in only three conditions; first is drunk, in which he says things like I don’t know whether it’s even appropriate to ask you for a diagnosis,” I say. “But my partner thinks that might be helpful—” Prestwich Book Festival: Award Winning Authors Bring Ghost Stories to Prestwich" . Retrieved 27 March 2015.

Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth | Waterstones Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth | Waterstones

So I did the only sensible thing: I canceled all my fabulous Saturday-night pre-Valentine's party plans, laid in provisions, roasted a giant panful of veggies, and read a whole book, cover to cover, while eating too much chocolate. It was kind of a fabulously decadent night—and I am a person who goes out to crazy shows and wild weird events pretty much all the time. Tyler is included in Laura's family gatherings, with a pregnant sister (who becomes mother to a baby daughter) playing a part in the plot and character development.The above irked me for a while but was subsumed by the well written plot, relationships and mundane details of daily life. As someone a similar age to Laura, many of the experiences of partying, love and loss felt very recognisable. Loved hearing about her exploits taking place in Manchester haunts I know well. Having found myself in many a situation not too dissimilar to Tyler and Laura - albeit notably less extreme - I found that 'Animals' was everything I expected it to be but in some ways a complete surprise. I've seen this book described as an "anxious book" and I think this is really fitting. It's hilarious and uncomfortable, and I love when a writer can make you feel all these emotions and push boundaries like this. I can't wait to read more from this author. Ian reminds me he is going away for a few days. He has been invited to give a keynote talk at an academic conference in Berlin. It must have been a good day when I agreed to this. The conference is in a field he helped to found, so it feels important to him, and the baby is nearly a year old. Sometimes the laughs come from Laura’s outrageous behaviour (the time ‘we dressed up as Paula Yates and John Leslie for a Dead Celebrities party… the time we swam in a loch at lunchtime and had sex beneath a war memorial, causing a group of hikers to call the police’), sometimes from killer one-liners (‘I’m going to do what any rational person should do when they find their days are numbered. Move to Stoke. It’ll seem like longer’). Elsewhere, Unsworth’s blend of smart prose and comic observation leads to such memorable images as ‘a discarded Peperami sheath like an anteater’s condom’.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment