276°
Posted 20 hours ago

See Inside How Things Work

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Just like math and science, engineering is easy to understand if you know what problems the trailblazers were trying to solve. From levers to lasers, from cameras to computers, this volume is a remarkable overview of the machines and inventions that shape our lives, amusingly presented with a large dose of Macaulay's wit and personality.

For a child or even an adult, this is a stimulating visual guide to understanding the mechanics behind many modern pieces of technology. The chapters include: Beam Me Up, Home is Where the Fridge Is, School of Cool, Extreme Fun, Here to There and Even More. Images Donate icon An illustration of a heart shape Donate Ellipses icon An illustration of text ellipses. An eraser is made from rubber which is stickier than graphite which grabs and lifts the graphite off the paper.

Cool photos, fun facts and lots of questions with all the answers can be found throughout these pages. Macaulay is able to pass information so easily, and then he will show tell you where to find the definition of a word he used, later or earlier in the book. I expect something like this to appeal to a tween to YA looking for inspiration about how the engineered world works, or I expect it to appeal to an adult who appreciates a youthful approach. We understand that not everyone can donate right now, but if you can afford to contribute, we promise it will be put to good use. There are tidbits of information for quick reference too, which is great for creating talking points with the kids.

Blast off into the cosmos with the latest title in the popular ‘How Things Work’ series which includes How Cities Work, . Apart from the very much lively illustration (which is the best thing about the book), it didn't teach the children much about anything nor being thought-provoking.It is separated into sections of movement, elements, light and sound waves, and electricity and automation. Non-engineers should be able to pick up a lot, especially in the first section (I've always found mechanical physics easier than the rest of the topics here). Even my science-savvy 12 years old sister couldn't pay attention for more than 10 minutes into the book.

It should be understood, though, that this is a children's book and the complexities of how things work is not the actual goal. If you’re curious about an iPod, flying machines, an oven or even roller coasters to name a few, this guide is for you.Have your kids ever wondered how the microwave heats that after school Hot Pocket they can't wait to eat? I'd read bits and pieces of it back in grade school when we covered simple machines in science class, but I'd never read it start to finish. Complete with "Tales from the Lab," true stories, biographies of real scientists and engineers, exciting diagrams and illustrations, accessible explanations, trivia, and fun features, this cool book explains it all!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment