276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Of course, things really should be so much different for this release. A quarter of a century under the bridge later, and instead of embarking on a victory lap for its anniversary and priming new material, Dolores O'Riordan is dead. In addition to compiling this box set and unveiling an unreleased song in Irish entitled Íosa, the remaining Cranberries are completing an album featuring vocals from O'Riordan to be released next year. Lescharts.com – The Cranberries – Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?". Hung Medien. Retrieved 30 December 2021. The music and O’Riordan’s lyrics assume a noticeably more sullen tone on the brooding “Pretty,” in which she takes a condescending lover to task, and “I Will Always,” a lovelorn, lullaby-like lament about setting her partner free to explore his independence. Weekly charts [ edit ] 1993–1995 weekly chart performance for Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? Chart (1993–1995) The 40 Best Records From Mainstream Alternative's Greatest Year". Rolling Stone. 17 April 2014. Archived from the original on 1 August 2021 . Retrieved 4 September 2021.

We were dead in the water,” Noel Hogan told me when I interviewed him for the Irish Examiner several years ago. “When our first album came out we had press officers in the UK playing us bands like Slowdive, saying ‘this is in’. And I was like, ‘you can’t hear the vocals’. It had bombed and we were waiting to be dropped.” Suede nonetheless had warm memories of their time, as their bassist Matt Osman explained to me when I spoke to him for Hot Press. Everything changed because of America,” Hogan told me. That autumn, the group set out on a US tour as support to Suede, floppy-haired wunderkinds beloved of the London music scene. However, what worked in Camden didn’t necessarily come off in Colorado. Out there in the American heartland, it was O’Riordan’s fragility that people took to rather than Suede singer Brett Anderson’s performative androgyny. Top 100 Albums 1995" (PDF). Music Week. 13 January 1996. p.11. ISSN 0265-1548– via World Radio History. Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (CD). The Cranberries. Island Records. 1993. 514 156-2. {{ cite AV media notes}}: CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) ( link)Still, not everything was in their favour. The Cranberries were Irish before it was cool to be Irish (what historians called the “Father Ted dateline”). Meanwhile, the UK music press was too busy dribbling all over home-grown newcomers such as Suede to give them the time of day. Offiziellecharts.de – The Cranberries – Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. a b c d "The Cranberries' 'Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?' 2nd Anniversary Box Set To be Released October 19 by Island /UMe". UMG Catalog. 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 20 June 2020 . Retrieved 20 June 2020. Munoz, Mario (22 August 1993). "The Cranberries, 'Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We?' Island". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 16 September 2015 . Retrieved 29 August 2021. British album certifications – Cranberries – Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We?". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 28 July 2021.

At the time, it was just another song and another day, but years later I realise how much that day changed our lives — Noel Hogan on Linger Somewhat surprisingly considering the album’s critical and commercial success, first stateside and subsequently in the UK, only two official singles were released. But each of these songs is damn near flawless. Unveiled five months before the album launch, lead single “Dreams” is an uplifting love song that finds O’Riordan reveling in new love, her sweet—yet never saccharine—vocals gliding seamlessly atop the lush, propulsive arrangement. Everybody Else is an album about relationships and the ways that a pair of people can love and hurt each other with equal intensity. Unfortunately, O’Riordan is consistently the one whose heart is getting broken. (“I was always one for the tears,” she once said.) Across 12 songs, the wind that once swept O’Riordan up into a gust of romantic euphoria has disappeared, leaving her desperate to understand where she—or her lover—faltered and everything fell apart. “Sunday” examines the dissolution from both sides, beginning with the other person’s unhurried romantic indecision, which is conveyed atop a gentle string arrangement. As if to express how destabilizing this waffling makes her feel, when it’s O’Riordan’s turn to vocalize her own perspective, the song shifts into a tighter, more upbeat melody. “You’re spinning me around/My feet are off the ground/I don’t know where I stand/Do you have to hold my hand?,” she tells her aloof lover. “You mystify me.” We were about a month into the European tour and we get a call out of the blue, requesting we come to the States,” Hogan explained to UMusic. “Denny Cordell had been working on [the album’s] first single, Linger, in New York and it had become a hit on college radio, where it had gone to number eight. Suddenly, from thinking we were about to get dropped by Island, we went to play our first American gig in Denver, Colorado, opening for The The. We went onstage and everyone knew the songs and the place just went mental.”

For Sale on Discogs

It was difficult for us first to break into the Dublin scene which was a good thing,” O’Riordan told Ian Dempsey in December 1993, by which time Everybody Else Is Doing It was selling 80,000 units a week in the US. “People tend to break into the Dublin scene and stay there forever.” In 1992 the Cranberries took on a new manager in the form of the iconic Geoff Travis of Rough Trade and began recording their debut album with producer Stephen Street. Street brought with him a vast production resume as both engineer and producer (the Smiths, Morrissey, Blur) as well as expertise as a songwriter having co-written Morrissey’s first solo album Viva Hate (1988). For the Cranberries to be working with the producer of Strangeways Here We Come was a dream come true. New Zealand album certifications – The Cranberries – Everybody Else os Doing It So Why Can't We?". Recorded Music NZ . Retrieved 27 March 2017.

Hollingsworth, Chauncey (11 August 1995). "Food For Thought". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on 4 April 2021 . Retrieved 28 August 2021. Schatz, Lake (7 March 2018). "The band is prepping a 25th anniversary edition of Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? for later this year". Consequence of Sound. Archived from the original on 21 June 2020 . Retrieved 21 June 2020. Hauser, Christine (15 January 2018). "Dolores O'Riordan, Lead Singer of the Cranberries, Dies at 46". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 16 January 2018 . Retrieved 28 August 2021. All self-professed fans of The Smiths, O’Riordan, Noel Hogan (lead guitar), his brother Mike Hogan (bass guitar), and Fergal Lawler (percussion) upped the ante for their debut album by employing the studio services of Stephen Street. The London-born Street had performed engineer duties for much of their musical heroes’ discography and produced their swan song LP, 1987’s Strangeways, Here We Come, later collaborating with the likes of Morrissey and Blur, among other notable British artists, in addition to overseeing The Cranberries’ subsequent efforts No Need to Argue (1994), Wake Up and Smell the Coffee (2001), and Roses (2012).As a songwriter, O’Riordan paid little attention to poetics and instead focused on firm, recurring questions: How do I feel now, what do I do next, can I learn anything from this? It is selfish songwriting that ends up being remarkably generous: O’Riordan’s recognition of her own emotional depths is affirming. Every matter of the heart is treated like a butterfly pinned under glass, a quietly complex entity deserving of appreciation for simply managing to once exist in this cruel world. The ARIA Australian Top 100 Albums 1994". Australian Record Industry Association Ltd. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015 . Retrieved 19 May 2022. Dolores O’Riordan performs with The Cranberries in Holmdel, New Jersey, on September 9th, 1996. Photograph: Ozier Muhammad/The New York Times Sinclair, Tom (4 June 1993). "Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on 20 September 2020 . Retrieved 29 August 2021. Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We? was a slow burn. In the UK it failed to breach the top five in the month of its release – even as another Irish outfit, The Hothouse Flowers, reached number two on March 20th with their LP Songs from the Rain.

a b c d e f g h i Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (Super Deluxe) (booklet). The Cranberries. Island. 2018. {{ cite AV media notes}}: CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) ( link)Ultratop.be – The Cranberries – Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 July 2020. The “It” The Cranberries refer to in the title was commercial success: they saw other bands doing well and felt that they, too, deserved to see their name in lights. In one of the great self-fulfilling prophecies in Irish music, The Cranberries would indeed soon conquer the world – thanks to their empathically jangly songs and O’Riordan’s incredible voice.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment