276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

That book was an autobiographical account of a woman with whom I could more closely identify, and spoke to me more powerfully. Gray managed to hold down a successful career as a journalist and editor while in the grip of a serious alcohol addiction. The things you learn in longer term recovery don’t seem like they’re to do with drinking, but they are to deal with drinking. Lighthearted but serious, it's packed with ideas, tools, tips and, most importantly, reasons for living a sober life. Because if you don’t tackle them, then they can lead to resentments, that leads to thinking about drinking that leads to drinking.

The flipside of MDMA was a week-long serotonin ennui, microdots convinced me that a woman on the nightbus was an assassin, and I may have felt silken and charming on coke, but everyone else thought I was an arrogant wazzock. And as getting drunk each week or day dulls your senses, it becomes the only thing that can get you a significant dopamine release.

Yeah, I mean, I I knew that on some cellular level right at the very beginning, that I wanted my sobriety to feel more about emancipation rather than deprivation. I don’t have terrifying rips in my memory where the end of the night should be, nor do I drag myself through the next day fantasising about being hit by a bus so that I can go where I feel like going – hospital. Now you go find your way, you can give them a map of how you did it, give them an idea of the rough terrain, but you can’t walk that walk for them, and they have to be ready for it. As the brain gets used to seeking out the positives, it becomes more efficient at finding them, he explains.

But say, for instance, on that holiday, if me and that gratitude group had been drinking, do you think we would have you know, ridden cable cars and ridden bikes and all of this all this exploring and all this fun outdoors stuff, I don’t think we would have, I think we would have sat in the place that we’d rented and drank. And so we can all like give each other a little leg up when we when we’re out and open about being sober.Because it I really, then there’s literally no even even a sliver of doubt that this is the lifestyle for me going forward. It opened my eyes to the real world of drinking that was causing me to struggle and helped me find solace that I’m not the only one going through this. But her case is still extreme; many of us will have managed to drink alcohol, even drink too much alcohol, for much of our lives without waking up in a police cell or becoming suicidal. So I’m incredibly excited because my guest today is the author of The Unexpected Joy Of Being Sober , Catherine Gray.

No more hangovers, facial bloating, bloodshot eyes, or nights you can’t remember what kind of trouble you got into. She not only walks you through her journey, feelings, what worked, what didn't she also explains the steps she felt as she comes out of the alcohol fog. An air of cool hovers around sobriety at the moment, just as it does over veganism and clean eating; Gray points to the rise of sober club nights such as Morning Gloryville, and the proliferation of sober blogs such as Hip Sobriety ( hipsobriety. I enjoyed the book and found it helpful, and I’m glad there’s now a book from a young, British, female author about sobriety. A team of British scientists controversially announced in 2009 that alcohol is more dangerous than crack or heroin, and almost three times as deadly as cocaine or tobacco.In this podcast, my goal is to teach you the tried and true secrets of creating and living a life you don’t want to escape from.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment