276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jack Reacher: A Mysterious Profile (Mysterious Profiles)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sargent also notes the dichotomy in Reacher's character, stating that he is intellectual and generous despite his exterior appearance of being "unkempt, unshaven and out of uniform, a loner, avenger, perpetual outsider at odds with the army". In Sargent's express opinion: a b Cavacini, Michael (2014). "An Interview With International Best-Selling Author Lee Child" . Retrieved 1 March 2016. Lee Child was born in 1954 in Coventry, England. His family soon moved to Birmingham, where he went to the same high school that J. R. R. Tolkien once attended. He received a formal English education, learning Latin, Greek, and Old English, before he attended law school in Sheffield. After working in the theater, he began an eighteen-year career with Granada Television in Manchester. After company-wide restructuring, he left, embarking on a fiction-writing career. Child, Lee (2001). "Chapter 6". Echo Burning. London: Transworld Publishers. ISBN 0-515-13331-0. One night I just kind of exploded with fury. I yelled O-K-, come out and try it! Just damn well try it! I'll beat the shit right out of you! I raced it down. I turned the fear into aggression. Among his formal qualifications, Reacher is described as the only non-Marine to win the Wimbledon Cup, [22] a US Marine Corps 1000 Yard Invitational Rifle Competition; achieving a record score in 1988. [23] (Although the Wimbledon Cup is in fact a 1,000 yard long-range shooting competition, it is not at all exclusive to the US Marine Corps; since 1875, the championship has been held in most years by the National Rifle Association during the National Rifle and Pistol Matches, and is open to both military and civilian shooters. The actual winner of the 1988 Wimbledon Cup was Earl R. Libetrau, with a score of 197-10X, and 99 on the shootoff for the win—which was not a record score.) [24] [25] Anecdotally his fitness reports rated him well above average in the classroom, excellent in the field, fluently bilingual in English and French, passable in Spanish, outstanding on all man-portable weaponry, and beyond outstanding at hand-to-hand combat. [26] Later years [ edit ]

You will never find Reacher going to the laundry or doing the ironing. When his clothes get dirty he simply goes to the local hardware store and buys a functional pair of chinos and a workman's shirt and stuffs the old ones in the bin. No mortgage, no wife, no ties, he is a perfectly free agent, unlimited and unbound, incapable of ever settling down. [5] Dominique Kohl, 29, was a Sergeant First Class on the way up and assigned to Reacher's unit when he was a captain in the Army. She appears in Persuader, where Reacher remembers the events that led to her death ten years earlier. Kohl is mentioned again in Personal, when Reacher partners with a woman who reminds him of Kohl.Detective Griezman, a German policeman who aides Reacher and his colleagues in hunting an American traitor (who also murdered a German prostitute who Griezman had been sleeping with) in Night School. His physical competence is really an expression of his mental competence too. He’s a fully functioning person.” General Leon Garber, retired, was Reacher's former commanding officer, mentor and close friend. His only child is Jodie. He risked his life to help Reacher in Die Trying, and willed him his house, as his daughter is wealthy, didn't want it and already owns her own New York City home. He also appears in The Enemy and The Affair, and (through his funeral) in Tripwire.

While his Silver Star and Purple Heart are cited on his profile, all of the other medal citations involve official secrets and are therefore redacted. The short story "Deep Down" hints that he possibly was awarded the Legion of Merit as a result of exposing a female liaison officer who was leaking confidential information to the Soviet Union. [20] Martin Cash, an ex-Marine who owns a shooting range. Reacher questions him, and then recruits him as an ally, in One Shot. Robert Duvall plays him in the 2012 film.Lee Child is an English author who received a formal English education learning Latin, Greek and Old English. He worked a long time in television and started writing after buying some legal note pads and pencils. His wife began to worry possibly as the pay cheques had dried up, and he mentions going to the supermarket with her. She’s a small lady, he’s a big guy. He reached to the top shelf for a nice older lady, and his wife remarked that if he didn’t quite make in as a writer, he could always be a ‘reacher’. And there you have it. I’m 70 years old. Like Lee Child my earliest reading was mythology. Greek, Norwegian, Chinese, American Indian; what ever was in the three city libraries that I could ride my bike to. I then discovered Science Fiction and read about 1,000 SF stories over the next 20 years. Then work and supporting my family took presidency.

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sourcesin this section. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. ( September 2015) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Otto Penzler (editor) The lineup: the world's greatest crime writers tell the inside story of their greatest detectives. Little, Brown (2009) Child, Lee (1997). "Chapter 10". Killing Floor. New York: Penguin Group (USA) Inc. ISBN 1-4295-1117-6.Lee has three homes—an apartment in Manhattan, a country house in the south of France, and whatever airplane cabin he happens to be in while traveling between the two. In the US he drives a supercharged Jaguar, which was built in Jaguar's Browns Lane plant, thirty yards from the hospital in which he was born. The #1 New York Times–bestselling author reveals the story behind “one of this century’s most original, tantalizing pop-fiction heroes” (The Washington Post). This point is further elucidated in Personal, when Reacher reminisces while standing at his mother's grave: While making an analogy in The Affair, Reacher claims to know his paternal grandfather and have many cousins. However, Past Tense, establishes that Reacher hasn't met anyone in his father's family when he visits the town his father came from. During the events of Past Tense, Reacher meets three distant cousins of his, one of whom, Mark Reacher, is involved in a murderous criminal conspiracy, with their distant relation not compelling Reacher to show him any mercy. One of the others is named Stan Reacher, and reveals that Reacher's father (real name William) used his name to enlist in the Marines while underage after killing a local criminal. Stan never knew William's parents, or how closely related they were to his. Stan also is unclear exactly how closely related he and Reacher are to Mark but believes Mark is one of the many grandchildren of a relative Stan never met in person, who made a fortune in real estate. Reacher leaves town with good new stories about his father, but with little additional insight into his exact family tree.

Second conclusion: If you can see a bandwagon, it’s too late to get on. I think the person who said that to me was talking about investment issues—as if I had anything to invest—but it seemed an excellent motto for entertainment as well. It’s a crowded field. Why do what everyone else is doing?”A collection of killer stories from some of today's hottest crime fiction writers, edited by grandmaster and #1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Child Not really,” Reacher admits. “I don’t really care about the little guy. I just hate the big guy. I hate big smug people who think they can get away with things.””

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment