276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI

£9.04£18.08Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. He worked on many cases of serial homicide such as Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Richard Chase and John Joubert, and John Wayne Gacy.

Robert Ressler - Wikipedia Robert Ressler - Wikipedia

The Tyranny of Positive Thinking – Science, Behaviour, Homeostasis on The Tyranny of Positive Thinking In fiction (and in real life at times) people embrace the inner monsters (sometimes literal, sometimes figurative) to gain the power they need to defeat their foes, get to the next level, or grit through something they'd rather not do. If this is something that seems to work, why are we specifically warned against it? William Heirens was arrested at age 17 and confessed to each crime, although today there are some serious doubts over the validity of his confessions. For Ressler, this case sparked his lifelong intrigue in the minds of serial killers and the opportunities psychological profiling presented.

The first part of the quote, “ Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster,” suggests that the act of fighting against something or someone can change us. Nietzsche warns us to be careful not to become like the very thing we are fighting against, for doing so would mean losing ourselves and our humanity in the process.

Friedrich Nietzsche Quotes (Author of Thus Spoke Zarathustra) Friedrich Nietzsche Quotes (Author of Thus Spoke Zarathustra)

Robert K. Ressler (1937-2013) was a supervisory special agent of the FBI as a reserve colonel in the U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Division (CID) before retiring. He later served as the director of Forensic Behavioral Services, a business dedicated to training, learning, consulting, and expert witness testimony. He is the author of Whoever Fights Monsters and the inspiration for one of the main characters in the Netflix Original Series Mindhunter.He utilizes the completely ridiculous body type analysis and even says that while this method of psychology/physiology is no longer considered valid he feels it has it’s value. Nietzsche was a brilliant philosopher whose intellectual life was crippled by serious amounts of pain and discomfort and a slow descent into madness, the primary cause was a progressive and untreatable brain condition that resulted in his almost complete immobility in later years due to stroke. Upon searching Dahmer’s apartment, attending police realized they had a serial killer on their hands and he had been operating for some time. After Dahmer’s arrest, Robert Ressler was asked to interview him with the idea of testifying for his defense, based on an insanity plea by his lawyers. Ressler was intrigued by this case, the details of which seemed incomprehensible and unlike any case he had seen before.

Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.” (Nietzsche) Sleuth Took A Serial Interest In Gacy". August 5, 1996. Archived from the original on August 17, 2016 . Retrieved August 3, 2016. This is one of the classics - for good reason as it turns out - and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it's held up. First published in 1993, by someone whose career was primarily in the 70s and 80s, there are some things you just don't expect to be handled as well as they were. And though some of the phrasing and the occasional idea have definitely dated, there's also a surprising effort here to discount some old prejudices.

Nietzsche sparked controversy but also admiration for his famous statement that “God is dead.” He also introduced us to concepts related to an individual’s achievements, ambition, and the striving to exist beyond conventional categories as good and evil. urn:oclc:708328400 Scandate 20110806194546 Scanner scribe12.shenzhen.archive.org Scanningcenter shenzhen Source Recommended for those who like Mindhunter on Netflix or are interested in learning more about criminal profiling. I’ll also say that this book isn’t for the faint of heart because it is incredibly graphic in its discussion of various murders. I had to put it down several times and go read something else because it’s so disturbing. Nietzsche’s famous aphorism is a warning about the dangers of engaging in a struggle against something or someone. According to Nietzsche, when we fight against monsters, whether literal or metaphorical, we risk becoming like them, adopting their viciousness and cruelty.

Whoever Fights Monsters - Macmillan

I believe that for Nietzsche, facts, interpretations and activities are always tied together, which can be illustrated in terms of how people in different occupations see the world around them. Entretenido, ameno y asequible. Muy aséptico incluso. Me sorprende cómo llega a despojar de casi todo los casos que narra y mantenerse en la línea de explicar muy claramente lo importante, la clasificación, organización, creación... con lo que tuvo que ver y saber ese hombre! No hay chicha morbosa, lo básico para hacerse entender. Surely it's about the genealogy of morals. e.g. when you are hurt, not to take on a moral system which devalues whoever has that power over you. Or rather, he's cautioning against it. There is something eerily haunting about the above quote (one of the most famous of Nietzsche’s, if not the most famous.)You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. He has the same problem that bedevils all the books in this genre; "I did this and this and this was awesome and this got me a commendation and this changed the way we understand sociopaths . . ." I know Ressler isn't bragging--he and Bill Bass are the only two of these guys I've found thus far who will tell stories on themselves--but there's no way he can explain why he's writing this memoir without sounding like he's bragging: because it's a memoir about what he's done, not who he is. Much of who he is shows through in what he does, but the emphasis is most definitely on actions and accomplishments--and how can we possibly know why what he's done is important unless he tells us? While Nietzsche’s quote has a deep philosophical meaning, it can also be applied to our daily lives. Here are some practical applications of Nietzsche’s quote: Robert Ressler has spent many hours exploring the minds of those who kill. In an ambitious project with John Douglas in the late 1970s, a series of interviews were carried out with some of the worst serial killers known in American history. The aim was to gain information on their lives and their personalities to see what could be matched with their crimes and how they carried them out. Y aquí es donde ha venido mi gran decepción con el libro: me esperaba que me contaran las características de los asesinos de otra forma. Yo esperaba que saliera x asesino con toda su historia en el mismo capítulo, pero no ha sido así. Hay que ir saltando entre capítulos y, cuando estaba metida de lleno en uno, me cambiaban a otro, dentro del mismo capítulo.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment