276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Chalk Pit: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 9

£8.975£17.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

then don’t be timid, drop me a line and book in your glorious family portraiture session with me now. Immediately next door is a housing development construction site, announced on the fence banners as “Chalk Glade” and as yet only an empty white pit. Listen for the sound of silence – well not quite, but this site is surprisingly quiet considering its close proximity to the County Town. The site has close access to the M11 main road and is just 30 miles north of the M25 and 15 miles south of Cambridge City.

People playing soccer (indistinct yelling, hollow thwacks, whistle) somewhere on one side of the trees; rush of the road on the other. Please note the boundary map is for indication purposes only and does not show the Wildlife Trusts definitive land boundary. Other birds which have been seen include little owl, green woodpecker, chiffchaff and blackcap; goldcrest and long-tailed tit feed here during the winter. Or are there maybe cannibals on the loose, living deep down in the hidden Chalk Pits and extended Tunnels?

It was peaceful and young teenagers were also using it as a picnic area which was also lovely to see. uk/landing-page/quercus/quercus-company-information/">The data controller is Quercus Editions Ltd. We have produced an audible description creating a mind’s eye view of the area to allow a visually impaired person to enter with confidence.

Switchbacks lead me to two old kilns—shadowy rings of brick sunk into the ground and green with life, nearly erased. My insatiable appetite for the unknown is whetted again when I notice a mention on the entry sign of a third piece of the complex, West Pit. Local academic Martin Kellerman knows all about the tunnels and their history – but can his assertions of cannibalism and ritual killing possibly be true? In this book Kate’s imaginary play as Lucy to Flint’s Aslan made me chuckle as well as the fact that Ruth tells Flint what time she will be home - and yes I unashamedly do this too! And when I think about what has driven me to explore so many of the nearby mountains, I’m sure it was a vague sense that I would find something hidden and exceptional.As Ruth and Nelson investigate the tunnels, they hear rumors of secret societies, cannibalism, and ritual killings. This series has lost none of its lustre and with Griffith’s eye for forcing her characters to evolve (even those that are secondary to the Ruth/Nelson/Michelle love triangle) and the promise of more to come, readers would be advised to stick tight! When Dr Ruth Galloway discovers they were recently buried, DCI Nelson has a murder inquiry on his hands. Notice says "dogs to be kept on lead at all times" but everyone ignores it, so put your dirtiest old clothes on as dogs allowed to roam free will jump up you. From the 1840s to the 1960s, this chalk quarry would have reverberated to the noises of explosions, furnace blasts, rumbling trucks, trains, and horses.

A final scramble brings me up to the fence, the edge of the reserve, and in the fence is a narrow gap filled with light. Time certainly flies when in the company of forensic archaeologist Dr Ruth Galloway, DCI Harry Nelson and Elly Griffith’s gang of assorted cast members and I cannot deny that every moment has been a pure and unadulterated joy. Following the path is a lesson in green—the bright jewel green of maple hanging over the path, the high narrow leaves of ash, the grass underfoot, the morning glory and ivy weaving heartily through and over it all—and, this first time, an indulgence of my obsession with the delicious unknown. But if my memory's just quite right - there may be much more surprises in the future awaiting Ruth and Kate, Nelson and his daughters - and especially poor Michelle.We manage Shide Chalk Pit for its rich natural habitat – the succession of bare chalk through to a chalk grassland plant community and tall scrub and trees. Originally several lime producers operated at the site, but by 1876 the Pepper family were the sole producers, employed over 80 people. This might be a figure of speech, but with the discovery of the bones and the rumours both Ruth and the police have heard that the network of old chalk-mining tunnels under Norwich is home to a vast community of rough sleepers, the clues point in only one direction. Interessante, etwas schaurige Orte der Handlung, eigenartige Menschen, viel Spannung - wie immer ein meisterhatft geschriebener Krimi von Elly Griffith - wo sie's nur immer hernimmt! One of the many things I love about Elly’s writing is that any comment on society is never stark but woven into the fabric of the story so that the issues at hand feel tangible as well as thought provoking.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment