276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Life in Football: My Autobiography

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Following the 1998 World Cup, Wright went on to play a further two times for England as a West Ham United player. I didn’t do it on purpose – there are other ways of getting your own back – but I won’t pretend I wasn’t glad it happened.

Wright did not make it into the squad for Euro 1992, with Clough, Gary Lineker of Tottenham Hotspur, Alan Shearer of Southampton and Arsenal teammates Alan Smith and Paul Merson preferred. He made his final international appearance, a month later, in a friendly against the Czech Republic at Wembley. He also appears every Tuesday on The Debate on Sky Sports' Premier League channel, once again teaming up with Kelly Cates. p>Read about how we’ll protect and use your data in our Privacy Notice. Five of Wright's nine international goals were scored under Taylor's management; these included a vital late equaliser in a 1–1 away draw against Poland in May 1993 [42] and four goals in the 7–1 away win against San Marino in Bologna, Italy, in November 1993, [42] the final match of Taylor's reign as manager.

No missing or damaged pages, no creases or tears, no underlining or highlighting of text, and no writing in the margins. This book is so riddled with inconsistencies and confusing that it turns what should be an enjoyable read into a jumbled, muddled mess. We start with Wright's Arsenal career, his time (and problems) playing under George Graham, Arsene Wenger's appointment and his, at the time, revolutionary new ways of training and dietary programmes. Bryan Robson quietly told me to take no notice of him, and while I appreciated that support, it didn’t make that game any easier.

Also, I don't believe that ex-players publicly turning on him would have any effect on Wenger's tenure. He was made a Freeman of the City of London on 1 November 2023 in recognition of his sporting achievements. Eventually and to an extent ‘luckily’ he was given a second chance in 2015; through impressing on other match analysis sports programmes. Venables vacated his position as England manager after the tournament and was replaced by Glenn Hoddle.And having been a Sunday footballer for much of my adult life, there is the delicious fairytale of how he moved from Sunday football to Crystal Palace and then to legend-hood with Arsenal and England. Additionally, Bob Crompton had 41 England caps but all were gained long before the foundation of either tournament.

Celtic's performances had been poor and Wright, Barnes and Regi Blinker were considered by some to be not sufficiently talented to improve the club. His father was absent from a young age, and he was brought up by his mother, Nesta, and an abusive stepfather. This was particularly surprising as Wright had been the highest top division goalscorer in England that season. He formerly co-hosted the drivetime slot (4–7 pm) Monday to Thursday on Talksport, with Adrian Durham. He spends a full chapter talking about the music and clubs he liked to go to when he was growing up and yet scoring twice in an FA Cup Final barely merits two sentences?How you can have two polarising opinions about a person / event in the same book, sometimes a few sentences apart is beyond me and grew frustrating with each occurrence. It is a shame he's such a flip-flopper on the Wenger issue, despite TOF's treatment of him (Wembley 98 snub, etc). I thoroughly enjoyed the book giving an insight into his life along with his wonderful friendship with David Rocastle.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment