276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Usborne Picture Books)

£2.995£5.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Wow, Jan Brett has outdone herself in this book with the artwork. The story is the story we have heard a million times over. It’s the same. The impertinent little girl breaks and enters and the bears are very patient. I like the story someone told where they ate the girl. That made me laugh, but Jan tells the story traditionally.

Hello, what’s this?” growled Daddy Bear, in his great big voice. “It looks as though someone’s been messing with my porridge and whoever it is has left muddy footprints on my chair.” Then the Little Wee Bear looked at his, and there was the spoon in the porridge-bowl, but the porridge was all gone! After a while, she began to feel hungry and a little tired. Across a clearing in the woods she suddenly saw a cottage.

Give AI a Try!

One could take such an analysis further, and wonder why the bears have made porridge and then caused each of the servings somehow to manage to fall to different temperature levels; or why, after they’ve gone to the trouble of making and serving up the food, they then choose that precise moment to go out. (Call of nature, perhaps? They are proverbially renowned for it…)

How should we analyse this curious little tale? It’s obviously great fun in that it contains adventure, a woodland jaunt gone wrong, and talking animals – a formula for success, if ever there was one, when it comes to children’s fairy tales. But it’s hard to say what the moral is, exactly. Then she found a teeny tiny bed. This felt just right so she climbed into it, pulled the covers over herself and was soon fast asleep. Robert Southey was an English poet of the Romantic school, one of the so-called "Lake Poets", and Poet Laureate. Although his fame tends to be eclipsed by that of his contemporaries and friends William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Southey's verse enjoys enduring popularity. Moreover, he was a prolific letter writer, literary scholar, historian and biographer. His biographies include the life and works of John Bunyan, John Wesley, William Cowper, Oliver Cromwell and Horatio Nelson. The latter has rarely been out of print since its publication in 1813 and was adapted for the screen in the 1926 British film, Nelson. Questions for Philosophical Discussion » Summary Looking at this classic tale through a philosophical lens can prompt discussions about selfishness, ownership, and perfectionism. The story is a fairy tale first recorded in narrative form by British author and poet Robert Southey. This book is a book I will enjoy reading to children all the time. It is a classic which will be remembered forever. This is a story where children will grow up and be able to recall the story from start to finish.

Some fairy tales seem to survive as a form of madness, or an infection with no known treatment. They have been repeated so often and so much that they become permanently lodged in our collective consciousness, repeated by children generation after generation with thorough enjoyment, while remaining free of any significance or meaning beyond their own internal repetitions and patterns. They are what we call nonsense.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment