276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Arabic Poetics: Aesthetic Experience in Classical Arabic Literature (Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization)

£37.5£75.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Richard Bussmann, University of Cologne {"}Hany Rashwan's study opens a new window on ancient Egyptian literature.

I make the argument in my book that the main aesthetic underlying post-10 th-century classical Arabic literary theory was one of wonder; that is, poetic beauty was evaluated based on the ability of language to evoke an experience of discovery and wonder in the listener.A. in Islamic Texts with a concentration in theology and philosophy at Zaytuna College in Berkeley, CA. How many times have we experienced immense joy after solving a mentally rigorous problem, or felt displeasure with the incorrect reasoning of others? When I set out on this project, I was simply asking the question: How did medieval authors assess the beauty of poetry? This allows us to understand the literary relations that led to the development of the Arab cultural movement over a long period of time – from the period of the \magazine’s publication and its subsequent influence. Lastly, in Chapter 5 Harb offers yet another contribution to the study of Arabic literary criticism, incorporating the poeticity of naẓm (lit.

This chapter also looks at the literary path the magazine took and how this led to fierce debates with Majallat al-Ādāb (Magazine of Literatures) and other literary and journalistic bodies. The remaining three chapters turn back to Jurjānī and his primary successors, Sirhāj al-Dīn al-Sakkākī (d. Anyone interested in understanding how poetry, eloquent speech, and the Quran evoke wonder should read this book. The magazine’s interactions apply to both levels as I relate to both its historical impact on Arabic literature during its publication and following its closure, and with the degree of its effectiveness in outlining the characteristics of modern Arabic poetics following its popularity in the Arabic literary arena.It certainly deserves to be on every Egyptologist's bookshelf, and we will benefit from its insights. In all cases, many human experiences induce emotion, and the most human of activities, those cognitive in nature, are not exempt. After that, I started seeing wonder everywhere, not just in Aristotelian poetics, but also in treatises on poetry and eloquence outside of the Aristotelian tradition, as well as in works on the inimitability of the Quran.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment