276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dog Man Star

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

drugs, dark, sexual, melodic, melancholic, male vocalist, anxious, death, love, lonely, pessimistic, nocturnal, passionate, bittersweet, lush, poetic, dense, breakup, introspective, cryptic, longing, hedonistic, romantic, autumn, energetic, anthemic, surreal, suspenseful, urban, sentimental, psychedelic, self-hatred, sad, epic, sensual, LGBT Butler left the sessions on 8 July, leaving Dog Man Star some distance from completion. Anderson had recorded little more than a string of guide vocals; several songs did not have titles; much of the music was still to be completed with overdubs. [25] Butler had exited before recording his guitar part for "The Power"; a session guitarist was invited to record the part, replicating Butler's demo recording. [6] Anderson offered to play acoustic guitar. [15] Osman later expressed he felt Butler's compositions were too experimental: "Lots of the musical ideas were too much. They were being rude to the listener: it was expecting too much of people to listen to them." [19] The arguments over "The Asphalt World" spilled over on to the rest of the album, as Butler became progressively more dissatisfied with Ed Buller's production. In a 2005 interview, the guitarist maintained his position on the matter, stating that Buller "made a terrible shoddy job of it". [21] Butler wanted Buller dismissed, allowing him to produce the record by himself. Martell, Nevin (13 April 2011). "Brett Anderson and Mat Osman on Suede's Discography". Filter . Retrieved 26 July 2013. The other vinyl consists of reproductions of three twelve-inch singles.These are non-album single Stay Together (a lovely gatefold) and the first two Dog Man Star 45s We Are The Pigs and The Wild Ones (both peaked at number 18 fact fans!). These are decent reproductions although they really should have had poly-lined sleeves. New Generation isn’t included simply because there was nothing new on those singles co-penned by Bernard Butler and like the 2011 reissue, this celebration of the album is again focussed on the Butler-Anderson partnership.

a b "Breakin' & Entering" (PDF). Music & Media. 21 September 1996. p.19 . Retrieved 6 December 2018. Paphides, Pete (31 May 2012). "Follow-Up Albums: Suede – Dog Man Star". BBC Radio 4 . Retrieved 23 November 2013. singles of Stay Together (non-album single, in original gatefold sleeve) We Are The Pigs, The Wild OnesKops, Pieter (10 December 1994). "What's In A Name" (PDF). Music & Media. p.25 . Retrieved 6 December 2018. Ed Buller on producing Suede: "All these awful stories came out that are completely untrue", Alice Gustafson, Headliner Magazine, 7 February 2022 Hannman, Natalie (10 April 2007). "Portrait of the artist: Kele Okereke, lead singer of Bloc Party". The Guardian . Retrieved 16 February 2019.

Other content in the 20th anniversary box includes a poster, an art print with the cover and a plastic bag (the T. Rex Slider box had one too). Although the album is often considered a commercial disappointment, its actual UK sales were still relatively strong. By August 1996, it had sold 235,000 copies, without all the hype and media exposure of the debut which sold 275,000. [79] However, at the same time, US sales were only one tenth of UK sales, shifting 23,000. [80] According to Nielsen SoundScan, as of September 2008, it has sold 36,000. By comparison, this is about a third of the sales of Suede. [81] It was certified as gold by the British Phonographic Industry November 1994. [2] Reissues [ edit ] Shepherd, Fiona (21 October 1994). "Suede: Dog Man Star (Nude)". The List. No.239. p.36 . Retrieved 17 February 2017. Unlike the alternative sleeve version sold on suede webstore, this version does not include the bonus 12" vinyl of ‘Stay Together’ and the cover color is a replica of the 1994 edition. Diver, Mike (9 April 2014). "Britpop Was Rubbish, Apart From These Six Records". Clash . Retrieved 10 February 2017.I was so underwhelmed by it that I put it on my shelf to collect dust and I even intended on selling it. I thought it was boring. And way to over the top for its own good. Which is strange considering at the time I loved David Bowie and Roxy Music two artists that are over the top but I was just not buying what Anderson was selling. Well over a year has passed and I thought I would give Dog Man Star another go. Well its grown on me.....alot. It is the only album I have ever heard where every song is 10/10 material. There are no bad moments where you think 'oh I wish they didn't do that, it would've been great otherwise'. This is an amazing achievement, considering a few months before they released one of the best songs ever made in the stand-alone single Stay Together. This album has absolutely everything. We are coming up to that time of year when the beautiful and distinctive voice of Kirsty MacColl will be blasting out in bars and shops and being played regularly on radio and TV music […] a b Yates, Henry (17 May 2011). "Why Dog Man Star Is Suede's Lost Masterpiece". NME . Retrieved 22 June 2013. a b c "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time: 100–1". NME. 25 October 2013 . Retrieved 15 December 2016.

Before we look at Dog Man Star, it’s important to note Stay Together, the standalone single Suede released between their first two albums. Stay Together came out on 14 February 1994 and was a hugely surprising release that clearly marked where the band was heading. The full version of the song is 8 minutes plus beasts that twists, turns and pouts, highlighting a sound that has obviously progressed from the Suede album era. As good as Stay Together is, however, its’ two b-sides are the real stars here and are songs that would have not sounded out of place at all on Dog Man Star. a b Barber, Nicholas (9 October 1994). "Arts / Records – Suede: Dog Man Star". The Independent . Retrieved 25 May 2013. A Hardcover book which includes notes by Brett Anderson, photos, handwritten lyrics, recording info, press cuttings Suede’s sound has been compared to that of the Smiths as well as David Bowie, with many critics drawing attention to Brett Anderson’s dark and bleak depictions of British society. Bernard Butler’s guitar work also earned praise from critics, and the album has since gained a reputation as not only Suede’s best album (usually competing with their next, Dog Man Star) but also as one of the greatest records of the Britpop era. It never sounds as good on that album as it did live. There’s hardly anything of the energy, it’s over-produced, it’s all a bit FX, it’s a bit grim.

a b Tangari, Joe (7 June 2011). "Suede: Suede [Deluxe Edition] / Dog Man Star [Deluxe Edition]". Pitchfork . Retrieved 8 April 2013. To close is the cinematic Still Life, I could write dissertations on the godliness of this song. To cut a long story short, it is the best piece of music ever written. The chords used are beyond perfect, the hanging suspension each time the title comes round. The way the song builds up to the orchestral coda, and keeps building right to the very end- those screaming french horns at the end just end off a perfect album perfectly. Let’s be honest, Edsel were probably regretting putting quite so much content on their 2011 deluxe reissue of Suede‘s 1994 album Dog Man Star when they sat down to discuss a possible 20th anniversary set only a few years down the line.

Webber, Brad (8 December 1994). "The London Suede: Dog Man Star (Columbia)". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016 . Retrieved 30 June 2013. Corio, Paul (29 December 1994 – 12 January 1995). "The London Suede: Dog Man Star / Blur: Parklife / Oasis: Definitely Maybe". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 8 March 2007 . Retrieved 21 June 2013. Musical differences arose over "The Asphalt World". The final version on the album has a duration of 9:25, edited from a much longer recording. According to bass player Mat Osman, Butler's initial creation was a 25-minute piece with an eight-minute guitar solo. [19] However, according to Anderson, the composition was 18 minutes long, and was a pre-production recording featuring only guitar and drums, that was intended to be edited down.

I never listened to it at the time, and I can't quite muster the interest now. It's hard to want to engage with a record when the people who made it have pretty much told you they wish they hadn't have bothered. So I think I'll let the old mind drift…

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment