276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box (AGENCY/DISTRIBUTED)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Through a business fable, this book tells leaders how to get “out of the box”—but you don’t have to be a leader to use the principles to change your life and workplace. In reality, she fully expects him to break it and thus justify her mistrust and the negative feelings about him. Bud viewed the other passengers as threats or problems, not as people like him with the same right to a seat.

The premise of this book focuses on one's own limited view of people, relationships, and organizational dynamics and clearly shows them as obstacles to one's optimal performance and productivity. How you feel toward someone depends on whether you’re viewing them from within the box or from outside the box. Like I said, these lessons have been around for a very long time and so they are likely to have something going for them. We know that when we betray ourselves by ignoring our wish to help others, it leads to self-deception.It was only after you betrayed yourself and made up excuses for your betrayal – thus becoming self-deceived – that your feelings for him or her took a turn for the worse. Through a story with awful writing and a painstakingly unaware main character, it over-complicates themes of emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationships within the workplace, and conflict resolution that are, perhaps, more well-explored by their audience than the authors presumed. This is the fourth student I have gone through this book with and it is a great intervention in therapy.

Instead of focusing on producing results, many leaders are trapped “in the box” of distorted thinking—they blame others to justify their own failures. You betray yourself when you choose not to do what you know you should do or actually want to do—for instance, not holding an elevator for someone, or feeling that you should apologize to someone but not doing so. Be it in your private life or at work, the feeling of dealing with someone on a basis of mutual respect is a positive and inspiring one, and also a key to success. There’s an empty seat next to him but he doesn’t want to sit with anyone, so he puts his briefcase on the seat and spreads out a newspaper in front of him.It felt like I could see “the point” from a million miles away and was screaming at the characters to “just get there already. If you’re in the box in your thinking toward your teenager and he gets home late, you’ll see him as irresponsible and disrespectful. Just as others respond to our feelings, not our actions, it is not our actions that determine whether or not we are self-deceived. If you were self-deceived, you’d think that what you want is more important than what your spouse wants.

A book that teaches powerful principles that I have already begun implementing to great effect in my own life. I understand why they used it (simplicity, visually instructive, intuitive), but it also seemed a bit too simplistic (maybe that is what today's business demand?The way you get into a box, or become trapped by self-deception, in the first place is by betraying yourself. In many organizations, instead of focusing on results, people and departments are “in the box,” blaming and working against each other.

Available in 14 languages and having sold nearly 500,000 copies to date, The Anatomy of Peace demonstrates the power of Arbinger’s work in resolving conflict. Without self-betrayal, you will see others as equal human beings with valid needs and desires, instead of as mere objects. When you’re self-deceived, you experience yourself as a person among objects, not a person among people.Tons of real-life examples are used, and the story just makes you wanna keep reading to find out the next step in getting out of the box. Through the letters, they apologized, and started getting to know each other as people and healing their relationship. You're "out of the box" when you aren't treating people like shit and recognize that there's more to life than optimizing the success your corporate silo at the expense of your friends and family (and yourself, Tom!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment