276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Vitax 5SLG1 1L Slug Gone Natural Wool Barrier Pellets

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I found these pellets to be highly effective in dry weather, but just after some rain, and within days I could tell that the number of slugs had dropped. After a week, there was a significant reduction in slug numbers, which is normal with this kind of pellet: they don’t work instantly.

A great thing to think about is how you can make your garden more welcoming to the natural predators of slugs and snails," Hayley explains. "Provide food and water for birds, and install a 'hedgehog highway' hole if you don't have one already. A pond is a great wildlife-friendly addition to a garden, and will attract frogs and toads that will help keep your slug numbers down."Slug Gone: Biodegradable, contains naturally occurring slow release nutrients to help feed plants Its minute fibres form a mat which is an irritant to slugs and absorbs moisture from the slug’s foot Improves water retention. Containing naturally occurring nutrients, Slug Gone consists of a biodegradable protein fibre which releases nitrogen, potassium, sulphur and other trace elements essential for plant growth. Slug Gone pure wool slug pellets are manufactured from the fleece of sheep. Wool fibres have very fine scales with small barbs on the tip called cuticle cells. These cause wool fibres to felt and matt together. Wool fibres are very hygroscopic and this, plus the sand and grit already in the compound and the potassium salts from the sweat glands of the sheep, absorbs some of the slime from the slug’s foot to cause irritation, resulting in the slug finding easier feeding methods. All things considered, I’d have to say that for the higher price, and with having that famous name attached, I expected these pellets to be more than what they are. They do work, don’t get me wrong, just not as well as I’d hoped. Pros: Slug Gone is the natural, organic way to keep slugs and snails away from plants. Popular amongst environmentally-conscious and organic gardeners, Slug Gone is 100% natural and derived from British wool. If I see the odd snail or slug in my garden, I don’t immediately seek to kill the little fellah, but I do keep a watchful eye out from then on. Slugs can multiply in numbers quite rapidly, and before you know it you can have an infestation.

I’d say this product was about as effective as both the Doff and Neudorff slug pellets. It served its purpose really well in dry weather, but the rain reduced the effectiveness it seemed. The name Rentokil is synonymous with pest control in the UK, but are their PSS120 slug and snail killer pellets any good?

Super Plugs

There seems to be some misunderstanding of what ‘pet safe’ means too. These pellets are chemical poison and are definitely not safe for pets and wildlife in large doses. However, they won’t harm your plants.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment