276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Light Behind The Window: A breathtaking story of love and war from the bestselling author of The Seven Sisters series

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have read most of Lucinda Riley’s books including the Seven Sisters series. They are all very good novels but I really enjoyed this one. The events surrounding World War Two are particularly moving and realistic. Highly recommended.

The Light Behind The Window is in my opinion Riley's best work to date, each of her books I think showing her improving skill as an author. Like her previous books, there are two interconnecting stories which are intricately and skillfully woven together, both of which are engaging and the balance between them is just right. The characters in The Light Behind The Window are exceptional, I became very emotionally involved with them, especially Emilie and Constance. I thought that they were such fantastically written characters. Constance in particular showed such courage and strength in the story and it touched my heart, I really enjoyed reading her part of the story and her journey was a very emotional one. Lucinda Riley has not only created two outstanding main characters, but has excelled in her supporting cast, Sebastian and Alex really stood out for me in that category, not forgetting Sophia as well. Booklist A fast-paced, suspenseful story flitting between the present day and World War II . . . Riley expertly weaves Emilie's story into a dual narrative . . . A real old-fashioned romance which manages to have a compelling narrative as well as something of a history lesson in the Special Operations Executive. Brilliant escapismI was completely taken in by the story, I loved the story and will be passing it onto my Nan so she can read it (When it arrived in the post she was instantly eyeing it up!). I will definitely be talking and spreading the word about Lucinda’s new novel. The detail is extraordinary - a superb history lesson. She's a wonderful storyteller. This is another really exciting, gripping story. I've got all her books. No habiendo leído aún “Hothouse Flower”, me decidí por conocer a Lucinda Riley a través de esta novela, de la que también había escuchado buenas referencias.

South of France, present day. After the death of her glamorous, distant mother, Emilie de la Martiniéres finds herself alone in the world – and sole inheritor of her grand childhood home. A notebook of poems leads her to the mysterious and beautiful Sophia, whose tragic love affair changed the course of her family history. As Emilie unravels the story, she too embarks on a journey of discovery, realizing that the château may provide clues to her own difficult past. Francamente, encontré la historia de Emilie un tanto floja y poco creíble, con un personaje central muy endeble y sin consistencia, mientras que la de Connie y el entorno de la Francia ocupada me pareció bastante mejor descrito, además de más interesante. La resolución final, que une por fin a las dos familias protagonistas, aunque bien narrada, quizás haya sido demasiado previsible (O tal vez es que yo haya leído demasiadas novelas de temática similar). La Côte d’Azur, 1998: In the sun-dappled south of France, Emilie de la Martinières, the last of her gilded line, inherits her childhood home, a magnificent château and vineyard. With the property comes a mountain of debt—and almost as many questions . . .This one is classified as historical fiction and that it is. I have no qualms with that. However, that’s probably my only non-objection to this one. Lucinda Riley attempts to interweave the stories of Emilie de la Martinières, a young French woman who recently inherited a vast fortune after her mother’s death, and Constance Carruthers, a young English woman who was sent to France during World War II as a special operative. Riley then tells the reader how these two women, decades apart, are intertwined. The potential this story had was immense but unfortunately it remains just that - potential.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment