276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin, 50 cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Monkey 47 is one of my favorite gins, I have been drinking it with grapefruit juice, a little rosemary simple syrup and Crude Bitters Rizzo blend. I absolutely love it, as a liquor though and not as a gin—because you hardly think of gin when you are tasting it.

Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin in Gift Box, 50 cl

For that reason, we shouldn’t be mistaken for typical “spirits producers” or “liquor entrepreneurs”; we are schnapps distillers to the core and, like a perfumer, constantly on the hunt for aromas and fragrances. When you come in, you can find your new favourite bottle at our tasting counter, hire glasses, flutes and chiller bins free* and pick up some ice. Not that great scotch and bourbon can’t be that, the best ones certainly can, But I’m really looking for something that’ll knock my socks off that could be pretty simple and not that complicated. The Monkey 47 Gin bottles are in themselves a treat and were - at the time of its release - the best packaging for gin around.With only rudimental records and no original recipe, just descriptions of eyewitnesses and a few key facts such as the use of spruce fruits, classical gin ingredients and lingonberries, the pair decided to recreate the gin as best they could. You see, this Commander also helped rebuild the world-famous Berlin zoo, and during the course of this he came to support Max, an egret monkey, who lived in the zoo. But I’m looking more for something like Tanqueray, which gets by on just four botanicals (as far as we know). Ever the posh British eccentric, he owned a pet monkey – which can probably account for Monkey 47’s unusual name.

Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin - The Whisky Exchange

Rosemary, coriander, mint, orange, lemon verbena, wormwood, up top, but with spruce tips and resiny juniper only barely poking through. Palate: Predictably complex, this is a robust and powerful gin with plenty of spice, fruit and herb flavours.Mixed with Hansen’s Tonic in a Gin and Tonic, sweet pomelo at first with exotic herb garden notes on the after taste. In total, 47 handpicked plant ingredients prepared in extremely soft water from the Black Forest lend Monkey 47 unrivaled complexity and quality. The critique that can be fairly made of this gin is that it might be too contemporary and note enough juniper happening.

Forest Distillers Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin Black Forest Distillers Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin

The team combine traditional maceration and distillation techniques with vapour infusion to gather precise amounts of the more volatile botanicals and accentuate certain flavours.

Herbaceous juniper, blackthorne, lavender and an acute resiny pine note that comes across as more spruce/rosemary.

Monkey 47 – Schwarzwald Dry Gin Home | Monkey 47 – Schwarzwald Dry Gin

but when you’re talking about 47 separate flavors in one beverage, it’s a bit overwhelming for just about anyone.He retired to the Black Forest after the war and sourced most of the botanicals used in his creation from his back garden. On the meadows around the old farmstead, Happle noticed the huge quantities of spignel plants, remaking that they smelt similar to Gin. Having arrived in Berlin after the end of the war and taken up his post in the administration of the British sector, Commander Collins was profoundly affected by the extent of the destruction of the capital and so resolved to support the reconstruction of Germany in his free time. For the first five years the distilling happens in what can only be described as a beautiful old Arnold Holstein still.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment