276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Normal Gets You Nowhere

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book came across my desk in the closing days of 2011, and although I had absolutely no idea who Kelly Cutrone is or why she is apparently famous enough to warrant not one, but two, advice-y books, I chanced to open it and read a paragraph or two. The author's voice was so unusual, so pro-feminine and pro-sex, and so downright close to my own worldview, I had to find out more. Our LED neon signs are all rated for 50,000 hours. That’s nearly 3X the life expectancy of traditional neon signs. If problems arise, they are typically due to the 12V transformer that powers your sign and those can be replaced and are covered under your warranty.

One thing I did enjoy about this book was how much we got to know Cutrone. We did get to know her in her first book, but this book truly dives into her personality and her spirit. I enjoyed hearing more of her personal stories- her relationship with her daughter Ava, her grandfather and then her father’s death. Cutrone definitely bared her soul in this book.I wasn't really sure how I felt about this book. I was looking forward to something self-help/ work related to take into my everyday life and career, and I just found it more of a personal memoir with no real clear structure. Overall I see the point Cutrone was trying to get out there, and some sections of the book does have a strong sense of purpose and a call for more compassion to your surroundings, but it was just not what I was looking for. And at times I had to force myself to keep going.

I made no secret of the fact that I loved Kelly’s first book If You Have To Cry Go Outside. I thought the advice was sound and it was interesting learning more tidbits about her personal life and work. It was a fast, worthwhile read and I still recommend it to people. Nuwave Neon signs come ready to hang, with pre-drilled holes. If you can hang a picture frame, you can hang a Neon! Have questions? Send us a message!

In this book, Kelly talks about love, death, human rights, compassion and redefining success and reasons for being. I loved it! When we say our signs are more energy-efficient, we mean it. An average sign gives you an estimated 50,000 hours of gorgeous light beaming in oh-so-stunning colour. That means, if you run your light for 5 hours a day, it could last up to 30 years. So, it’s uneven. Very uneven. It bounces around a bit, feels a little thrown together and, while containing important nuggets of advice like her first, has a distinct tone of spirituality throughout that was only briefly touched on in her first book. For some readers, this could really throw you…or turn you off. She alternates between the hard-as-nails personality we’ve all seen on TV and this super-compassionate, super-spiritual woman. The result is a book that I can’t really wrap my head around. I’m not sure what kind of book she set out to write. In the forward, she mentions that her editor wanted her to do “Kelly’s take” on the 10 Commandments and she refused, wanting to write her own thing. Well, this is her own thing—that much is evident. But it’s also wildly bizarre one minute and becomes coherent the next. At the close of the book, I found myself liking the author very much, despite her obvious eccentricities and outre' sensibility. She says she lives to serve two populations: young women and gay men, and I'd recommend this book to both groups.

This book is a short (shorter than the first) take on all sorts of things Kelly has opinions on: religion, friendship, sex, holidays…to name a few. There’s also a chapter devoted to Eleanor Roosevelt, an inspirational figure to Kelly (“a feminine ideal”) and one about a breakthrough she had in connecting with her feminine, God-like self. While I definitely did enjoy this book, I have to admit upfront, it just didn’t grab me as much as her first book did. Perhaps it was the subject matter and where I am at this point in my life. Last year, IF YOU HAVE TO CRY GO OUTSIDE practically fell into my lap at a time when I needed it most. I loved the career advice Cutrone offered, and I enjoyed hearing stories of how she starred her own PR agency. I hoped for more of this in her sophomore book, but NORMAL GETS YOU NOWHERE took a different approach.

Customer reviews

When she starts going on and on about her guru though, I got bored! There was even a part that weirded me out a little bit. Her going on and on about her guru Amma was one thing, but then there's a whole chapter where she's talking to the voice in her head (who is identified as Amma, I believe) who then takes her on this weird spiritual mind-trip where she's feeling the pain and sorrow of humanity through God's eyes. It was unexpected and out of place. Not all neon sign companies are created equal. Quality is at the heart of all that we do, and that’s why each Nuwave Neon sign comes with an industry leading 24-month warranty (12-month warranty for waterproof/outdoor signs). Also, our support team is always ready to brighten-up your day, whenever you need a hand or support. nor-mal: according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule or principle / conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern / of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment