276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dark Rye and Honey Cake: Festival baking from the heart of the Low Countries

£13£26.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Toast the hazelnuts in a pan over a medium heat for five minutes or until golden brown. Once cool, pulse-blend in a food processor with the rye bread, baking powder and cocoa powder, into a fine crumb.

honey cake – lekach | Food | The Claudia Roden’s recipe for honey cake – lekach | Food | The

It’s a beautiful example of how one type of bake can evolve because of the changes that happen through the centuries in import-export and how cheap that makes produce. But also, the material culture and how that evolves,” she adds. “I think it’s really fascinating. And the waffle chapter is one that I could really use to show this change and this evolution in the way we eat and the way we cook.” Antwerp was one of the world’s richest cities in the 16th century. Art was a way of showing the glassware and pottery that was made and traded there, and the variety of foods that moved through the port — including sugar, which was refined and sold. “They could basically boast about what was here. So, that was really interesting to see — that in the paintings, there was a sense of pride about what was buzzing here in this place, in this part of the Low Countries. And that those paintings are basically a PR campaign for the region’s foodie delights.” RECIPES: Discover dozens of Belgian bakes including, pastries, pies, biscuits, cakes, breads and, of course, wafflesHahnemann tells me that this cake was first served in Southern Jutland after the war in 1864, as part of a sønderjysk kaffebord, or a traditional cake table. Danish people were not allowed to join political meetings in liquor taverns, instead meeting in special assembly houses. Women would bring cake for people to enjoy but also to show their political will and presence at these important meetings (before women were allowed to vote). While excellent alongside a hot mug of coffee or tea for breakfast or dessert, pain d’épices has some surprisingly savory accompaniments as well. The French often pair pain d’épices with cheeses such as Roquefort, or even foie gras. The History of Pain d’Épices If you don’t have dark rye flour on hand, you can substitute it for an equal amount of whole wheat or all-purpose flour. In fact, recipes for pain d’épices from Dijon tend to use whole wheat flour whereas the recipes from Reims usually call for rye flour. Ysewijn wrote three more British cookbooks before getting the go-ahead to write Dark Rye and Honey Cake in 2020: The British Baking Book (a.k.a. Oats in the North, Wheat from the South, 2020), The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook (2020) and The National Trust Book of Puddings (2019). Pain d’épices is a spice-laden honey cake from France. While the literal translation is spice bread, it can be roughly translated as gingerbread cake.

Dark Rye and Honey Cake: Festival baking from the heart of

The chapters deal with a host of baked goods: along with many recipes for waffles, including stroopwafels and a savoury sweet potato variety, there are breads including worstenbrood, a roll stuffed with sausage, pancakes, pretzels, spiced biscuits, gingerbread, apple beignets and boules de Berlin, plump doughnuts filled with custard. Ysewijn also delves into the artistic aspect of cooking from the Low Countries, exploring the tradition of using moulds (or koekplank) to create shapes out of dough, Dark Rye and Honey Cake brings a slice of the Low Countries to bakers looking to explore this fascinating history through timeless recipes which will add colour and personality to the offerings of restaurants and bakeries alike. Beat the eggs with the sugar till pale and creamy. Then beat in the oil, honey, rum or brandy and coffee. A rare glimpse into the rich and fascinating food culture of one of our closest neighbours – a work of scholarship, but also a work of art.” FELICITY CLOAKE, Guardian and author of One More Croissant for the Road and Red Sauce Brown Sauce Bake the large cake in a preheated 160C fan/gas mark 4 oven for 1¼ hours, or longer, until firm and brown on top, and the smaller ones for 1 hour.Spiced honey bread spread through monasteries across Europe and became part of the Christmas festivities. Pain d’épices became especially important in Reims, Alsace, as well as Dijon. Regula uses history and art to guide the reader through a fascinating period, and paints – through her stunning photography and recipes – the landscape of the region’s rich baking culture. Dark Rye and Honey Cakeexplores a whole year of rustic bakes, unearthing long-forgotten recipes and reviving treasured favourites. There are waffles and winter breads for the 12 days of Christmas, pancakes for Candlemas and Carnival, pretzels for Lent, vlaai and fried dough for Kermis and all the special sweet treats that make up Saint Nicholas and Saint Martin. Break cake into large pieces and arrange on a platter. Swirl honey into yogurt in a small bowl and serve alongside cake. Step 5 Sift or whisk together the dry ingredients thoroughly to distribute the spices evenly. It would be unpleasant to bite into a clump of one of the strong spices. Fold in the dry ingredients with a wide rubber spatula, being careful not to overmix. Stop as soon as the dry ingredients are incorporated and there aren’t any clumps of flour.

Dark Rye and Honey Cake - Booktopia Dark Rye and Honey Cake - Booktopia

I have utterly fallen in love with this beautiful book.” “It is a majestic achievement, and a fascinating read.” With this collection of timeless recipes, Regula reveals the origins of her country’s ancient food culture and brings a little Belgian baking into every home. Recent podcast interviews: Trine Hahnemann is a Danish baker and food writer after my own heart. Not only does she make the most incredible cakes (this one included), but she always cooks with thrift in mind. Separate the eggs into two mixing bowls. Whisk the yolks with the molasses or soft dark brown sugar until it doubles in volume, then fold in the rye bread mix.For the English and US/English edition follow this link and choose your favourite shop or goo to your local bookstore The bread is traditionally sweetened only with honey, though some variations today include brown sugar. Because of this, it has been an important product for honey merchants for centuries. Pain d’Épices Baking Tips It took the Belgian Café Culture book for me to actually fall in love with my own culture again and realize that what was just under my nose was actually something really beautiful that I had neglected. And that opened the door for all the research that I’ve done in the past (seven) years.” In Dark Rye and Honey Cake, acclaimed food writer and historian Regula Ysewijn turns her focus to the bakes and culinary history of her Belgian homeland. The cake was made popular due to Charles VII and his mistress Agnès Sorel’s fondness for it, and it spread through the French court during the 15th century. By the 16th century, a guild of spice bread makers was formed in Reims, followed by Paris.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment