276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Handmade Copper Tulips - 7th Anniversary Gift, Unique Home Decor, Metal Flowers

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cut all the corners off each blank. You want to remove enough copper so that you end up with something that looks like this: The colors achieved using an oven vary with the temperatures and exposure times. My results were as follows, but expect variations with your specific oven. This is very important - if you don't do this right, you won't be able shape the rose later. Take the next square, and align it with the first. Then, align the fourth with the second. Finally, simple thread the rectangle on top - it doesn't really matter about alignment, though I make it in line with the third out of habit.

To clean up any oxidation from annealing, use a wire brush followed by sandpaper - wire wool also works well to get into all the nooks and crannies you've now made. Either burnish the steel/brass with sandpaper to get it to gleam, or leave it dull - both look nice, and complement/offset the rose. For the square pieces, make cuts from the centre of each side towards the centre that come to about 5mm from the hole. Much closer, and the copper will break at these points - any less, and it'll be hard to shape the petals. If you're using good tinsnips, the copper will naturally bend up, so you get something like this: Although saffron in name, rather than copper, there’s definitely a copper tint to this bloom. It would certainly look good with other copper hued blooms. Tinsnips/jewellers saw/pneumatic press - essentially, something to cut your copper with. I found these to be excellent, but use whatever suits you the best. Cut five lengths of copper rod to differing lengths which will act as flower stems. I cut mine fairly short (6” to 10”), but you could get as many feet of copper that you need to make the flowers taller. The easiest way to cut the copper is to use a handsaw. Then, use a metal file to remove any burrs or sharp edges.

Recommendations

Calla Lilies are known as representing the ‘magnificence of beauty’ and this Burnt Amber Calla Lily certainly lives up to the reputation. It is simply gorgeous in its sophisticated design and colors. Look at those rich hues and how they blend so well! 7. Saffron Hydrangea So for those of you unable to get your hands on a set of dies, we're going to improvise. The aim of this is to cut a thread using your hex nut (steel) on the softer stem (brass). I'm assuming you use brass rod of roughly 3-4mm, and a hex nut that's a size too small. Rich tones of red, orange, yellow, purple, lavender, and white can all arrive on the same plant, making this a rather fascinating plant. The reason for this array of colors is actually because the fruits change color as they ripen.

I happen to have the last three things lying around at home or in my school workshop, so I didn't put links as to where I got them from - if you do happen to fund a good source for some, just put it in the comments and I'll add it in. The blooms have a natural wax coating that gives them a glow and helps them to stay looking beautiful for longer. Truly a divine plant! 6. Burnt Amber Calla LilyCopper Beauty Cymbidium Orchids have creamy copper petals and a dark burgundy spotted lip. These sumptuous blooms are said to symbolize beauty and love. Well, they certainly are beautiful and you’re going to love them! They would be perfect in a garden or in a floral display. 17. Ginger Swirl Iris Having cleaned your blanks to your satisfaction, take your first square, and thread it onto the stem. Take your next one, and repeat, but align it so that it's petals cover the cuts in the square below, and only overlap slightly with the petals below them, like this: Brazing rod/brass rod of a smaller diameter, around 4mm - this is for the workaround step. Brass is one of the few metals that's really soft enough to be cut without using a die (but more about that later). You can find this in most hardware/ironmongery type places, or online.

Propane Torch/forge/brazing hearth- a heat source, capable of annealing copper. You can get away with using a cooks blowtorch or a gas hob, but I invested in this as I do lots of metalwork at home. Copper is a gloriously nuanced and warm color. There are flowers out there that have this wonderful shading to them. Such coppery hues add glamor and glitz in a warm and mellow way to any garden or floral arrangement. Note: this project is sponsored by Spellbinders who provided me with a Platinum 6 machine. What happened next was all my own creation! Garden Therapy readers have a special discount for the new machine as well, so be sure to grab the code at the end of this post. How to Make Copper Garden Art Flowersit doesn't really matter how you do this, as long as you end up with four 50mm squares, and one 50mmx25mm rectangle)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment