276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Literally, it's about a china rabbit, 3 feet tall, with all manner of uppity airs about himself. The grandmother of his owner, a little girl who lavishes attention on him, tells a grim, Grimm-like fairy tale of a witch who turns a beautiful (but heartless) princess into a warthog. Then Granny eyes the rabbit and says, quite simply, "You disappoint me." What "A" (fairy tale) has to do with "B" (Granny's disappointment with Edward) is for DiCamillo to know and the reader to find out. Bird, Elizabeth (July 7, 2012). "Top 100 Chapter Book Poll Results". A Fuse #8 Production. Blog. School Library Journal (blog.schoollibraryjournal.com) . Retrieved 2012-08-22. The novel contains several themes involving loss and recovery, kindness and compassion, and the journey to self-discovery. The main theme can be summarized by a quote from the book: "If you have no intention of loving or being loved, then the whole journey is pointless."

The sad yet hopeful story of a selfish china rabbit that learns to love is beautifully written, and the sepia-toned gouache illustrations make this book one to treasure for many years. Although this may have been written for younger readers I believe it will be enjoyed by people of all ages. If you don't cry at some point you're as heartless as Edward is in the beginning. However, despite the tears, you will be left with a happy ending. I have to admit that I bawled like a baby when I finished this book, a modern classic. In 2007 the U.S. National Education Association named it one of "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children" based on an online poll. [7] In 2012 it was ranked number 59 among all-time children's novels in a survey published by School Library Journal – the third of three books by DiCamillo in the Top 100. [8] Adaptations [ edit ]

Well-written, beautiful, and somber. This is the story of a china rabbit who learns the true meaning of love. I read this book out loud to my class and truly enjoyed the masterful way that Kate DiCamillo crafts a story. Her word choice and sentence fluency found its way into my writing lesson plans to illustrate some of the possibilities waiting to be found in words. Abilene: She is the little girl that owns and loves Edward, even if he initially doesn’t reciprocate that love. Edward and the boy are parted when the boy takes Edward to a doll mender. The doll mender will only fix Edward if the boy leaves Edward with him and the boy unfortunately agrees. Edward is completely fixed, but he is put on a shelf to await a new owner. Over the course of years, Edward waits and meets other dolls. One in particular helps Edward to regain his hope and faith that he will someday find a good home. His hope is rewarded when, after all this time, he sees the little girl who loved him so long ago. She is all grown up and now has a daughter of her own and they just happen to be shopping in the doll mender's shop. The little girl who loved him so long ago and Edward are finally reunited, with Edward finding that love is the most important thing he could ever have.

When I read those stories in my distant youth, they spoke to me. Now, I fear, if I re-read them, I might suspect that the author was deliberately playing with my emotions. Even though I know that authors, do exactly that to make a point. The novel has often been compared to Hans Christian Andersen's work, particularly " The Steadfast Tin Soldier". [3] Awards, nominations, and recognition [ edit ] Um..." I paused. Did I not know the name of this masterpiece? Seriously? I thought to myself. "...something Tall Journey maybe?" Years later, when my youngest sister started the fourth grade, she brought home a book. She said the teacher was reading it to her class and that she was loving it. What's it called? I asked. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, she said. I'm loving it, she added, it's an amazing story. Edward Tulane is a china rabbit who only loves himself. He lives with a little girl and her family, happily sitting in his chair in the dining room while the girl is in school and spending all of his time with her when she is at home. Until tragedy strikes when he is accidentally sent overboard on a cruise to London. Edward spends a good deal of time on the ocean floor before a fisherman comes along and catches him in his nets after a storm. At the home of the fisherman and his wife, Edward is dressed in dresses and his name is changed. In spite of that, he finds happiness with the couple until their daughter comes along to ruin everything by sending him to the town's garbage dump.A remarkable, eloquent and genuinely moving story. . . . Hang onto this title as one to remember for graduation gifts. Edward Tulane: All eyes in the book are on Edward. All through the novel, the reader is a part of his exploits. Edward, the lovable porcelain bunny doll, doesn’t start out in the story realizing how blessed he is to have such a loving owner. At the conclusion of his adventure, Edward has learned what it’s like to love and be loved by another person. Bryce: Sarah Ruth’s sun-hat-wearing brother who cared for Edward when he was broken and shattered. Bruce gives Edward to his younger sister, Bryce, after rescuing him from an elderly lady who wanted to use him to scare crows. Elegantly designed, with delicate, full-color plate paintings by Bagram Ibatoulline, it has the look of a classic. This book got a boost by a write-up of books to read in dark times (read: coronavirus times) in The New York Times (the times, they are a changin'). It's one of those intermediate little kids book that works just fine for adults with a heart, too (or without a heart, if you're feeling like Ebeneezer Scrooge on the verge of the Ghost of Christmas Future).

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo takes us on an extraordinary journey with a china rabbit named Edward Tulane given to a 10 year old girl named Abilene by her grandmother Pellegrina. The young girl talks to Edward, a three-foot-tall stuffed bunny with a designer clothes, as if he were real. He behaves like a regular toy because he cannot speak or move, but he does have a free will. Edward doesn’t really care about anyone else despite the fact that Abilene adores him. DiCamillo writes tenderly and lyrically but with restraint, keeping a tight focus on Edward’s experience and gradual awakening. This is the harrowing tale of a china rabbit doll who is separated from his young owner and undergoes a series of harrowing adventures over a number of years before finding a happy resolution.The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is a 2006 novel by Kate DiCamillo and illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline. Following the life of a china rabbit, the book won the 2006 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award in Fiction category.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment