276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales: The 23 Original Tales (Peter Rabbit)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I don't know if I ever owned any of the books as a kid, but I'd see them every year at B&E around Easter and this year, I thought 'I'm gonna freakin do it' and bought the collection. Nearly every book list geared toward homeschoolers will include Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales, or at least a story or two from the collection. As with most children’s books that have withstood the test of time, the books appeal to not only children, but adults. As Books Children Love explains: I am almost inclined to set it up as a canon that a children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last." - C.S. Lewis

And what can I say? I fell in love. Of her talent. Whether for writing, but also for her drawings. I really regret not having known younger. And at the same time, I tell myself that maybe I wouldn't have appreciated the work that much.Beatrix Potter is one of the world's best-loved children's authors of all time. From her first book, The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1902) she went on to create a series of stories based around animal characters including Mrs Tiggy-winkle, Mr Jeremy Fisher and Tom Kitten. Her humorous, lively tales and beautiful illustrations have become a natural part of childhood. A perfect gift to introduce children to the world of Beatrix Potter, The Complete Tales is a timeless and classic essential for any nursery shelf.

Yoto says: Immerse yourself in the complete collection of Beatrix Potter tales in this bundle read by Olivia Colman and others. One of the things I liked about this collection of Beatrix Potter stories, rhymes, and paintings is that before each there is text explaining a bit about the story such as when it was written, what was going on in her life at the time it was written, etc.

While a lot of these stories I remember hearing as a child there were also a decent number I hand not read before. Some stories were a bit nonsensical or absurd, though, maybe that is part of the point of those? It was also interesting to see what was considered appropriate for children in the early 1900s compared to today. The shenanigans of Peter Rabbit and his cohorts still delight readers of all ages. Each character is unique, with cleverly crafted traits and a very particular personality…. These characters are endearing because they are true to life. They suffer consequences for disobedience and wrong choices. Potter’s stories have a universal appeal, transcending time and country. Growing up, my grandmother had VHS of some of these stories and I thought they were the only stories she wrote. In her thirties, Potter published the highly successful children's book The Tale of Peter Rabbit and became secretly engaged to her publisher, Norman Warne, causing a breach with her parents, who disapproved of his social status. Warne died before the wedding. Tom was very naughty…. And I think that some day I shall have to make another, larger, book, to tell you more about Tom Kitten!” Also available in PDF.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment