276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The True Meaning of Smekday

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation (Press release). Archived from the original on October 12, 2013 . Retrieved September 10, 2012.

Adam is nearsighted, bad at all sports, learning to play the theremin, and usually in need of a shave. He can carry a tune, if you don't mind the tune getting dropped and stepped on occasionally. He never remembers anyone's name until he's heard it at least three times. He likes animals, spacemen, Mexican food, Ethiopian food, monsters, puppets, comic books, 19th century art, skeletons, bugs, and robots. Although it's a bit long for a read-aloud, I can't help but think kids would roll every time J.Lo opens his mouth. Especially if I could get my Latka-from-Taxi voice down just close enough. That's what J.Lo sounds like in my head: Latka. With a touch of Stitch, of "Lilo &" fame.

Become a Member

Von Drasek, Lisa (November 11, 2007). "Me and My Alien". The New York Times (Sunday Book Review). Archived from the original on 2016-10-28. Two hours passed and I had to admit I wasn't good for anything except handing J.Lo tools that had been described really well beforehand. It was announced on June 20, 2012 that Tim Johnson was set to direct the film, with Rihanna and Jim Parsons voicing the lead roles, and the film would be released in fourth-quarter 2014. [5] Chris Jenkins and Suzanne Buirgy would produce, and writers Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember were signed to adapt the novel into a screenplay. [5] The title of the film was announced as Happy Smekday!; the project was retitled Home a year later. [5] [6]

This book is actually a very very long essay written by Middle School student Gratuity Tucci for a contest, the winning essay of which will be placed in a time capsule to be opened in 100 years - in 2113. In it, Gratuity (Tip to her friends) describes the invasion of the Boov and the subsequent relocation of all humans to Florida (and then to Arizona, as the Boov decide they want Florida for themselves). Tip's mother was taken by the aliens early on, and so 12-year-old Tip takes her cat and drives (yes, drives) off in search of her. Early on, she meets up with a stray handyman Boov, who reengineers her car to fly. Gradually, Tip and the Boov, who calls himself J.Lo, become uneasy friends and allies, as they avoid the Boov, meet all sorts of strange humans, and then find themselves dealing with an even more fearsome set of aliens, the Gorg. Moreno, Carolina (March 27, 2015). " Home Director Tim Johnson On The Film's Immigrant Theme And Animating 'Realistic' Bodies". The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 2016-03-06. In the meantime, this is a quality, quality children’s book that adults should enjoy as much as their kids. If you are still not convinces, I will leave you with the two stars of the book breaking down the 10 reasons why you should read this. Enjoy!!Gratuity is an incredible character who is navigating not only alien invasions, but racism and sexism too. More than once she’s accused of being bossy (once by a pair of the most obnoxious boys we’ve all met), and people’s racial assumptions almost cost her the search for her mother. She also makes friends with Chief Shouting Bear (aka Frank) who has no shortage of racism to deal with himself. This is an extremely funny book - the dialogue, whether tongue-in-cheek or absolutely outrageous, is snappy and Tip and J.Lo are both loveable, if often irascible and just plain nuts. J.Lo speaks English with a distinctly Boovian and very ludicrous accent - when he first meets Tip and is bluffing her, he says, "Then...then...I will have onto shoot with my gun!" and when that doesn't work, he tries "NO GUN! So I will have to...have to...SHOOT FORTH THE LASERS FROM MY EYEBALLS!" Tip carries around an antique polaroid camera, and so the book is illustrated with drawings depicting the polaroids, messily taped into the book. a b c "Jim Parsons and Rihanna to Voice DreamWorks Animation's Happy Smekday!". DreamWorks Animation. ComingSoon.net. June 20, 2012. Archived from the original on October 6, 2014 . Retrieved June 20, 2012. Empecemos con Tipolina Tucci, quien es animada en su escuela a escribir sobre lo sucedido cuando la invasión de los Buv. Ella cuenta cómo perdió a su mamá y cómo conoció a J. Lo, el Buv, el extraterrestre. Así, nos va narrando una historia que es de lo más divertida. Al principio Tip no quiere a J. Lo, porque a fin de cuentas él representa a esa raza que le ha separado de su madre, sin embargo, conforme va avanzando el tiempo estos dos van desarrollando una amistad de los más bonita.

This is such a great adventure and hilarious to boot. I love Tip and J-Lo well actually every character in this book is so fun! I don’t know what else to say, I just feel like I can’t do it justice other than to say go get this book and enjoy it! You will not be disappointed! The True Meaning of Smekday is a 2007 children's book by Adam Rex that was highly recommended by The New York Times. [1] The book was adapted by DreamWorks Animation into the 2015 feature film Home. Solicité este libro para reseña porque (y sonará un poco superfluo) me encantó la portada, lo cual me hizo leer la sinopsis y desear leerlo. Lo inicié y me estaba encantando así que fui al cine a ver Home, la película y la amé, reí y casi lloré y me la viví intentando hablar como el Buv :D Lo sé, es raro, a mi edad, pero me encantó como no se imaginan, de modo que tomé el libro de nuevo y lo terminé rapidísimo. ¿Y saben qué? La película y el libro son completamente diferentes. As a reader, there's a certain type of book I dream about: one that somehow manages to be smart and funny and meaningful. Adam Rex's The True Meaning of Smekday is—wonder of wonders!—just such a book. Don't feel bad if you've never heard of it, however, because it also happens to be a kids' book. But it's one that can be appreciated just as easily by adults, who are just as likely to enjoy the novel's fantastic narrative voice and sharp sense of humor, and may get even more out of Smekday's central metaphor: the story follows precocious 12-year-old Tip after aliens land on Earth and claim it for their own. The Boov then force the human population to relocate—in the case of the residents of the U.S., first to Florida, then to Arizona. (Sound familiar?) Tip, however, is separated from her mother at the beginning of the invasion, and so must travel on her own, encountering on her way one of the aliens who, in fantastic Ford Prefect tradition, has christened himself with the human name of J.Lo. Further—utterly delightful—shenanigans ensue.All the while she’s driving her hovering car Slushes across the country, keeping her cat Pig and her best friend JLo out of trouble (or at least keeping them all together as they get IN to trouble), and figuring out how to save the world. Tip journeys across the Boov-controlled United States with her cat Pig and J.Lo, unsuccessfully seeking her mother at Florida's "Happy Mouse Kingdom," and continuing west to Roswell, New Mexico and Arizona. There, Tip and J.Lo, together with a wise old junk dealer named Chief Shouting Bear, must prevent politician Dan Landry from incompetently reaching a disastrous accommodation with the invading Gorg. In the face of certain death or enslavement by the Gorg, Tip finds her own way to defeat the powerful aliens, saving humans and Boov alike. I think I'm going to memorize this line. And next time someone asks me a question I don't want to answer, I'm gonna hit 'em with the Boov. J-Lo, the alien character is charming, and I wish he could be my own friend. Rex put a lot of emotion into that lovable squat fireplug, and my only "J-Lo" related dismay is that while readers of this book might know that J-Lo named himself after a popular earthen star, hopefully making himself more acceptable to the people he would soon conquer, lots of OTHER people (here I speak of foolish non-readers of this book) might get the wrong idea of ME, Paul Tobin, when I'm out in public and suddenly say, "Boy, I really like J-Lo!" just as a side note, there is some language. this is a secular book about secular people, so just be forewarned)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment